View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chias
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: kde4 Plastik window decorations seem buggy Reply with quote

I recently installed KDE4 (over openbox, so I doubt there'd be any conflicts to speak of) out of portage. An issue I'm having is that my window decorations (the titlebar and the thin line around any windows) doesn't seem to update properly. Sometimes when a window gains focus, it'll keep the grey titlebar (I'm using Plastik so active windows should have blue decorations). Often, however, it'll just be *parts* of the titlebar that stay grey, while the rest turns blue as it should. Dragging something else over the bar, or really doing anything to cause kwin to repaint that area, "solves" the issue until it happens agian.

Does anyone know what I'm trying to describe, or know how to fix it?

Edit: Compositing is enabled, using nvidia graphics card.
Edit 2:Screencap of issue here

Last edited by chias on Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:17 am; edited 3 times in total
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have similar experiences with nvidia-drivers (have not tried nouveau) and I have currently all compositing, special effects and all disabled so it's not about those at least I think. Most often I get this when I move my mouse at the task-bar over the apps (my bar is set in the upper edge of the screen) and when it opens those boxes detailing the application (or rather just telling what it is) that ballloon often makes Opera transparent at the place where the balloon was, with the shape of it as well.

And like you said, too, just "re-painting" it over with another app for example will take it away so I am going to assume it has something to do with the task-bar and/or title-bars indeed.

I haven't much put thought into it yet though, cause well, I don't care for the time being, I have so many other things to work with, getting everything running is good enough for now haha...

But I thought I'd just share my experiences and confirm that you're not alone.
chias
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to get a screencap
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a bit different from what I am seeing, or maybe it is still the same, hm... Well anyways, forgot to add that at times the task-bar itself would have certain parts go transparent, with the main workspace theme, Air I think it is? At the parts where there are those differing shades or so, at one point they went transparent but switching to another workspace "fixed" it, bringing applications over the task-bar did not "re-paint" it so to speak.

Just now as I tested it some, the window for system settings would go transparent at some spots and could see Opera through it heh...

For no particular reason, I'm going to try and see if setting at the fine tuning from very high CPU to low CPU has any effect. Most likely not but can't get the glitch to happen right now after setting it to low... Will play around and I guess it will show up eventually.

Edit:

Okay, just had it happen and I could actually reproduce it, for a while.
I'll try to explain it as simple as possible.

At first, I had Opera, Dolphin, Konsole and I think Audacious visible on the desktop.
Konsole over Opera (both taking maybe 40'ish % of the screen), I was playing around with Character Encodings, switching from one to another and doing "dir" and "ls".
Then I changed the positions a bit, dragging Konsole from left to the right, not on the same spot of Opera anymore.

Now when I opened the menus for the Character Encodings, the pop-ups would open as normal, where they should, but they also produced transparent spots over opera, with the size of the boxes that I was opening in Konsole, and at the position they were appearing before dragging the window to the right.

Can't make it happen on command now anymore, of course, but it is quite funny. :D
chias
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem seems localized to the Plastik window decorator... heading changed accordingly
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: