View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meyerm
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: primary screen "displaced" with new xorg/intel-dri Reply with quote

Hi,

I just updated my X-stack after a long time beeing stuck on 1.7.x because of instabilities with the intel gpu drivers. But when I now connect an external monitor and strech my desktop over both screens, I see a very strange effect, which I want to try to describe and show with this little ascii-art ;-)

The external screen (here left) simply shows the normal picture and I can work normally on it. The internal screen of the laptop shows also (parts of) the expected picture but moved to the left (and therefore cropped - QR in this picture) followed by a black column (_ in the ascii art) and then by some part of the first screen!

Code:
+------------------+    +----------+
| ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP |    | STU__ABC |
| ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP |    +----------+
+------------------+

The "ABC" part on the smaller, internal screen reflects the live image of the bigger screen. My inputs (mouse) on the other hand does NOT work like anything was displaced. I have to click on the "correct"/expected place on the internal screen to press a button, which is (thanks to the displacement) shown far more on the left.

When I do a screenshot it looks normal. So perhaps there is some problem with the combination of the new xorg-server, the new xf86-video-intel and KDE? Disabling the compositing of KWin when the screen is already messed up does not help. But deactivating the desktop effects before activating the external monitor works. Then re-starting the desktop effects will lead to the corrupted screen.

I'm now unsure where the problem lies in the stack and what to do (despite of not using the desktop effects for now). Hints, tips, experiences?

Code:
meyerm@yavin ~ $ equery l xorg-server xf86-video-intel libdrm kwin
 * Searching for xorgserver ...
[IP-] [  ] x11-base/xorg-server-1.9.0.901:0

* Searching for xf86-videointel ...
[IP-] [  ] x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel-2.12.0:0

* Searching for libdrm ...
[IP-] [  ] x11-libs/libdrm-2.4.22:0

* Searching for kwin ...
[IP-] [  ] kde-base/kwin-4.4.5:4.4
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Older Intel chipsets (prior to 965) have strange issues if the screen size exceeds 2048 pixels in any dimension. Using KMS and libdrm 2.4.22 is supposed to fix many of these issues but maybe some were missed.
meyerm
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for answering!

I'm having a i915 / Intel GMA 4500MHD. But I've been using it for quite a long time on exactly this configuration including desktop effects. KMS was also active for many weeks. It first failed (like in the previous post described) _after_ updating to libdrm 2.4.22 (among other things).

Has this effect been known before hand? If yes, do you know a bug tracker number where I can add my new experiences?

Thank you
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GMA 4500MHD should be new enough to support more than 2048x2048 pixels. I am only aware of bug reports for the older chipsets. It may be good if you file a bug on bugs.freedesktop.org.
meyerm
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I updated to a new kernel 2.6.36 and now the screen problem vanished (I don't know if I'm able to suspend with that kernel which failed on 2.6.35 - but at least X works again ;-) ).

Thank you for your engagement.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: