winamp like music player for linux
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gh0str1d3r
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: winamp like music player for linux Reply with quote

Hi,

I am searching for a winamp-like music player for linux. It does not have to have the same look, but the same functionality, in particular:

* fast playlist that can handle 100GB of musik without performance problems, at least not after the playlist was added successfully (which excludes amarok)

* media library for the music

* rating of tracks

* last.fm support

* deleting files from hard disk with one click out of the playlist

I have found a thousand player, but none of them seems to have all the functions I need. Can it be true that there is no linux player available that has the same functionality and performance as winamp?
aCOSwt
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: winamp like music player for linux Reply with quote

Gh0str1d3r wrote:
... a winamp-like music player for linux...

Is'nt what audacious is supposed to be ?
optiluca
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: winamp like music player for linux Reply with quote

Gh0str1d3r wrote:
Hi,

I am searching for a winamp-like music player for linux. It does not have to have the same look, but the same functionality, in particular:

* fast playlist that can handle 100GB of musik without performance problems, at least not after the playlist was added successfully (which excludes amarok)

* media library for the music

* rating of tracks

* last.fm support

* deleting files from hard disk with one click out of the playlist

I have found a thousand player, but none of them seems to have all the functions I need. Can it be true that there is no linux player available that has the same functionality and performance as winamp?

As you find Amarok too resource intensive you can try clementine, an amarok 1.x fork. BTW I know there are lots of horror stories about amarok, but maybe you should just give it a shot to see if it is a hog on your system?

Another valid media player is songbird, available in the sunrise overlay, which also has all the functionality you are looking for I believe

http://www.rinkworks.com/stupid/cs_mincing.shtml
psycho
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: winamp like music player for linux Reply with quote

aCOSwt wrote:
Gh0str1d3r wrote:
... a winamp-like music player for linux...

Is'nt what audacious is supposed to be ?

William_Razer wrote:

This link [URL of potential malware site censored] will provide you winamp for linux

my vote definitely goes with audacious. it is already "winamp for linux" in the sense that it does what winamp does (including even using winamp skins and so looking and working like winamp if you want)...but also, it's a good free software project, whereas "winamp for linux" is listed as "freeware": maybe it's just not good at advertising the fact, but i don't see any mention of its being free software. closed source "freeware" is exactly what most windows spyware is. we don't need that stuff running on linux, least of all when there are better FOSS alternatives already available.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides audacious, you can also try qmmp
barul
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For listening music, I use mpd + ncmpcpp. It's not a graphical one, but it's really awesome.
Gh0str1d3r
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for so many suggestions. I will definitely try them!

I have already worked with amarok a lot, and I tried clementine and qmmp. The later ones do not have a rating system and can not delete files from hd as far as I found out, and the former is really slow on large playlists and recently fails to show the rating of the current song always in the center window, so rating a song is very complicated via properties of the song.

I will report on my experience on the other players soon...
Gh0str1d3r
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now tried audacious, but I can't find a way to delete files from hd. Can you tell me where to find it?

VLC and mplayer do not have a comfortable playlist, and no song rating. Deleting of files is afaik also not supported.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gh0str1d3r wrote:
I now tried audacious, but I can't find a way to delete files from hd. Can you tell me where to find it?

VLC and mplayer do not have a comfortable playlist, and no song rating. Deleting of files is afaik also not supported.

I would be very surprised if audacious or qmmp were deleting files from hard drive. Tell me if any players do - I'll blacklist them right away :)
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audacious is really Winamp for Linux :P
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d2_racing wrote:
Audacious is really Winamp for Linux :P

Well, so is qmmp, which I like better for being Qt based (and me being on KDE) :)
Gh0str1d3r
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmpogo wrote:
Gh0str1d3r wrote:

I would be very surprised if audacious or qmmp were deleting files from hard drive. Tell me if any players do - I'll blacklist them right away :)

ok, this is a big misunderstanding: I want to have the option (in the context menu, when right-clicking on a song) to delete the corresponding file from hard disc. When a file is somehow corrupted, this is a very convenient way to get rid of it. Searching the file by hand, however, is really inconvenient...
optiluca
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gh0str1d3r wrote:
dmpogo wrote:
Gh0str1d3r wrote:

ok, this is a big misunderstanding: I want to have the option (in the context menu, when right-clicking on a song) to delete the corresponding file from hard disc. When a file is somehow corrupted, this is a very convenient way to get rid of it. Searching the file by hand, however, is really inconvenient...

Does right clicking in the collection, and selecting delete count? Because I think 99% of music players (including clementine) have that :P . Anyway songbird has the exact implementation you are looking for I think.

Out of curiosity, how many corrupted songs do you have, for it to become such a high priority operation? :?

Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use exaile (gtk and python based) as I don't use either gnome or kde.
It seems to have many of the features that you mentioned you wanted
with the exception of file deletion (I think it's wrong to have something like that inside a "music player" anyway)
but it's easy enough to find the complete file name by right clicking on a song.

Anyway good luck on getting what you want.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess gmusicbrowser satisfies almost all those criteria. ("almost all" because I am not sure what you mean by "media library").
Gh0str1d3r
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

optiluca wrote:
Gh0str1d3r wrote:
dmpogo wrote:
Gh0str1d3r wrote:

Does right clicking in the collection, and selecting delete count? Because I think 99% of music players (including clementine) have that :P . Anyway songbird has the exact implementation you are looking for I think.

no delete just deletes it from the playlist, not from the hd.

Quote:
Out of curiosity, how many corrupted songs do you have, for it to become such a high priority operation? :?

With currupted, I also mean songs I simply don't like or that are there in multiple copies. And these are a lot, so I want to have a 1-2 click way to delete them from hd.
Gh0str1d3r
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
I guess gmusicbrowser satisfies almost all those criteria. ("almost all" because I am not sure what you mean by "media library").

can't try that due to this open bug... :(
optiluca
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gh0str1d3r wrote:
optiluca wrote:

I can guarantee that selecting "delete from disk" in the collection context menu will delete the file for good in clementine, so I am not sure what you are looking for exactly :?

Gh0str1d3r
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

optiluca wrote:
Gh0str1d3r wrote:
optiluca wrote:

I can guarantee that selecting "delete from disk" in the collection context menu will delete the file for good in clementine, so I am not sure what you are looking for exactly :?

yes, definitely it will. However, I am not searching for a way to delete it in the collection menu (which is just a file browser, I could use any other file browser instead), but to delete it in the playlist. In other words, I want to have an option to really delete the song that is currently played. I can't see how this should work with the collection menu, since that does not show me the current song...
pingufunkybeat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gh0str1d3r wrote:
I have already worked with amarok a lot, and I tried clementine and qmmp. The later ones do not have a rating system and can not delete files from hd as far as I found out, and the former is really slow on large playlists and recently fails to show the rating of the current song always in the center window, so rating a song is very complicated via properties of the song.

Have you tried using "real" MySQL instead of the embedded one with Amarok? It might help with the performance using large playlists. MySQL should be able to handle that easily.
Gh0str1d3r
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pingufunkybeat wrote:
Gh0str1d3r wrote:

Have you tried using "real" MySQL instead of the embedded one with Amarok? It might help with the performance using large playlists. MySQL should be able to handle that easily.

Yes, as this was also my first guess to improve the performance. Unfortun.ately, it did not help. Maybe I did something wrong, even though amarok now starts without complaining about a problematic MySQL configuration (I updated to MySQL-5.1, so afaik amarok must use the external MySQL).

Anyway, amarok now also does not have the "delete from disk" context menu entry, which it definitely had before (don't know exactly when, I think in good old 1.4 times).
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gh0str1d3r wrote:
ppurka wrote:

You can either
1. try with -webkit.
2. Create a local overlay and use the patch given in the bug report. The patch works.
Gh0str1d3r
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
Gh0str1d3r wrote:
ppurka wrote:

You can either
1. try with -webkit.
2. Create a local overlay and use the patch given in the bug report. The patch works.

yes, this works. And you are right, this program really satisfies all my requirements. Thank you very much!!
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta say, Audacious is just wonderful!
I really don't need/use much features that winamp has, I just want a simple player I'm used to and even without the winamp-like-classic-skin on Audacious, I like it, a lot!

It even plays the "extracted game music" right out-of-the-box!
Thanks to this thread I found it swiftly. ^^
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: