Pulseaudio over jack no output
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yermandau
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Pulseaudio over jack no output Reply with quote

I was using jack only and i decide install pulseaudio.

But after the installation pulseaudio doesnt make output sound.

I test with

esdplay foo.wav and nothing
aplay foo.wav need jack stoped to play
mplayer foo.wav stops to play after instalation (need alsa stoped to play after instalation)
smplayer foo.wav works over jack
audacious foo.wav play over jack

I dont identify why pulse is not playing sounds, with jack running or jack stoped.

Can someone help me?
aCOSwt
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... I understand that you already had the best sound server money can't buy and that you want to add another one. 8O
What for ? You might have a good reason to use either Jack or Pulseaudio. Which one ?
I personally do not know any good reason for using both, that is, cascading them.
What is the reason you found ?
(BTW, the fact that you find this difficult is a good witness that... it is not designed for)
yermandau
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You might have a good reason to use either Jack or Pulseaudio. Which one ?

AcosWt, sorry for the late, i have a serious incommunicable state, for severals health motives.

Im back, and i will tell you why i was trying pulseaudio

Im trying heavy use the opensource and freesoft and Lightspark is a open flashplayer with support to gnash, is target to work with youtube, but works with some videos that need h264 codec, and flv and swf extensions.

Is in high development, but how i use RT kernel i was looking a way to use in realtime mode, like flash, the audio backends supported is alsa, openal, pulseaudio.
But research in irc tell me that works only with pulseaudio :^
when i go to alsa and openal the compilations is not finished.

Quote:

http://dpaste.org/86JP/

Maybe the implamentation is not finished, but the open flash sounds promising for me
aCOSwt
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/ Right ! I understand that flash thingies offer no support for jack but they do for pulseaudio.
espeak is in this case as well (but there you can opt for the portaudio alternative which is jack compatible)
However, this is not a reason for pushing pulseaudio especially if you expect running in a realtime environment.
There is a thread on this message board (I cannot find it) in which at least two gentoo devs write that they have never seen anything that they could not do without pulse. They are right.

2/ You wish to run in a realtime environement => Have only one sound server : Jack ! You had done the right choice, keep this way ! :P

3/ The problem is now : How to make non Jack apps work with jack i.e. appear as a valid jack input client.
You get two possible answers : Jack pcm and snd-aloop.

3.1/ snd-aloop is an alsa driver. It is Paul Davis' preferred solution.
The only problem being that after having been available in-kernel, it is no longer, and should only come back with 2.6.37
Meanwhile, the only possible solution to get snd-aloop is to use the alsa drivers from the latest alsa-drivers package, which is not recommended by gentoo devs.

3.2/ Jack pcm
The alsa && pulseaudio compatible apps output on the alsa default output if pulseaudio is not available.
=> The solution is to redirect alsa default output to jack.
This is achieveable via appropriate declaration of alsa plugins in the /etc/asound.conf (if you want this system wide) or in a $HOME/.asoundrc if you want this feature on a per user basis.
Code:
# cat /etc/asound.conf

pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave { pcm "jack" }}

pcm.jackplug {
    type plug
    slave { pcm "jack" }}

pcm.jack {
    type jack
    playback_ports  {
        0 alsa_pcm:playback_1
        1 alsa_pcm:playback_2 }
    capture_ports   {
        0 alsa_pcm:capture_1
        1 alsa_pcm:capture_2 }}

This configuration works great for me (as well as some others... :wink: ) for all non-jack applications I tested (including flash-player, ekiga, cinelerra...) to the exception of Skype (The Jack's watchdog triggers every now and then :evil: )

You can of course complicate this basic configuration adding other alsa plugins in order to buffer, resample...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: