[SOLVED] Installation using a non-Gentoo LiveCD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dnadesign
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Installation using a non-Gentoo LiveCD Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,
After a few years of eating apples (most of them were quite rotten or had worms inside :wink: ) I decided to return to Gentoo, but came to a halt because of the dead keyboard issue when using Gentoo's LiveCD on my MacBook Pro. It's kinda annoying for me to wait for a new LiveCD, that will include the necessary kernel patches, so I would need some help on the issue.

After spending a few hours on attempts to make the keyboard work I thought of an alternative: using another distro's LiveCD to make the stage3 install and bootstrap to stage1 (I'm quite a stage1 fanatic, but the tarballs are gone from what I heard, so guess I'll have to bootstrap :D ). It's an amd64 install (don't like wasting even a little bit of RAM). The question is: can I use another distro's LiveCD based on amd64 to perform the installation of Gentoo? If so, which distro could you advise?

Advice appreciated. :wink:

Last edited by dnadesign on Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Letharion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnadesign wrote:
I'm quite a stage1 fanatic

I never did a stage 1, and before I became knowledgeable enough to understand the difference, the "ones" were gone. I'm very curious to hear why you want to do this?
dnadesign wrote:
can I use another distro's LiveCD based on amd64 to perform the installation of Gentoo? If so, which distro could you advise?

Sure, I've installed Gentoo from inside Ubuntu. The only thing I cared about at that time was a GUI, so I could spend the compile time in a browser.
dnadesign
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letharion wrote:
I'm very curious to hear why you want to do this?

Because of the speed and optimization benefits. Stage3 is good, but still - it's generic. You can get more efficiency if you do a properly optimized (for your current hardware that is) stage1. The last one I did about 2-3 years ago worked on the "speed of light" basis. The compilations were even 50%-100% faster (depending on package, but even took OpenOffice compilation down from 4-5 hours to 1 hour) and the apps opened almost instantly (about 500ms latency between the icon click and window show). Besides I like optimizing (old habbits from assembly programming). :wink:

Letharion wrote:
Sure, I've installed Gentoo from inside Ubuntu. The only thing I cared about at that time was a GUI, so I could spend the compile time in a browser.

Good to hear. Ubuntu LiveCD was about the only one that was able to handle that keyboard. Thanks for your help. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: