[SOLVED]Determining which modules I need
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icarus127
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED]Determining which modules I need Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I'm completely new to gentoo and working on my first install on my netbook. I run slackware on my Desktop and up until now had been running ubuntu 10.4 on my netbook. I got frustrated with the bloat and occasional instability of ubuntu and I've always been interested in the gentoo philosophy and I've been wanting learn more about linux system configuration which I think I will get by installing gentoo.

I've been running the install off of the gentoo livedvd on a USB drive and I was wondering how to determine what modules I need to select for automatic loading. I've been following the handbook and when I got to the bit about selecting modules I wasn't sure what to select since the list of loaded modules on the livedvd is, I think, the longest I've ever seen so I just didn't select anything hoping that this was just for exotic modules :p That's obviously not the case since my NIC doesn't even come up properly at boot. I've been looking more at lsmod and I was wondering if
Code:

/sbin/lsmod | awk '{if ($3 > 0) print $1}'

will give me the right list since column $3 is label 'use'. If not can anyone recommend a better way to do this? I know I can look at lspci to see what hardware I've got but how do I connect that with the module that I need?

My other question is, whenever I shutdown/restart gentoo either on the livedvd or my admittedly broken install I get something to the effect of:
Code:

shutdown segfaulted HALT "${opts}"

I've found a couple references to this being an old kernel but it was from a long time ago and I assume that emerge gentoo-sources is pretty current.

Thanks for the help :)[/post]

Last edited by icarus127 on Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
cwr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the system _really_ loading every module in sight? I'd expect it to build every module, but
load only the ones it needs, but it's a long while since I used a Gentoo CD/USB. Certainly
on my system lsmod shows only the currently loaded modules, and I'd expect it to do that
in Ubuntu as well.

If wireless works with Ubuntu, then check which wireless modules are being loaded there,
and see if Gentoo is loading the same ones.

Will
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can go to this site and enter the output of "lspci -n" to get a list of modules that match your hardware.

This page from Pappy's Kernel Seeds tells you how to get from module names to kernel options.
molot
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cwr wrote:
Is the system _really_ loading every module in sight? I'd expect it to build every module, but
load only the ones it needs, but it's a long while since I used a Gentoo CD/USB.
On the gentoo based cd systems it loads only ones it's about to use. Sometimes you can force "load all" on the boot time afair.

Just to get things clear :)
icarus127
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm still plugging away at this. haha I didn't think any linux distro would be as steep a learning curve as slackware with almost no linux knowledge but apparently I was wrong :) Looks like I've got a lot to learn :)

I started over the install for the 3rd/4th time just to make sure I was following the handbook exactly. I did modify it a bit, the mirrorselect on the livecd is really out of date so I chroot'ed first and then emerged mirrorselect and went from there. It doesn't seem like that's made a difference and I'm thinking the problem is that I just really don't know what I'm doing kernel configuration wise. I tried configuring manually this time and that's not booting at all :p Tonight I'm going to try genkernel exactly as it is in the handbook + the module information from the debian site the BitJam gave me and see how that goes.

@BitJam Pappy's Kernel Seeds look like exactly what I need but it appears to be down, is there any comparable sites? I have google around a bit but I'm having trouble finding thorough and recent guides to kernel building.

Thanks again!
mamac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommand manual kernel config, then it's very easy to copy modules to be auto loaded just with a 'find' command. Try a little bit harder to configure your kernel manually, it's worth it, specially since you seem to be willing to learn.