Gentoo on an encrypted Btrfs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JvHellracer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Gentoo on an encrypted Btrfs Reply with quote

Hi, I would like to install Gentoo on my laptop. I've checked some benchmarkes of btrfs and they look really good.

But I need to encrypt my laptop because I have to proteced the saved data. Is it possible to use dmCrypt with LUKS together with btrfs on Gentoo?

Is there a how-to for ecnrypted installation?

greetz
idella4
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JvHellracer,

yes and kind of yes. See the links for encrypt.
btrfs is available. I have taken an interest in it and have tried it out. So far I have lost data twice, but I was experimenting with an experimental file system. I have a few posts re btrfs and there are others, in particular look at the discussion thread in gentoo chat.

Do not use btrfs for your system partition, unless you can readily backup the whole system readily. Try it out and use it for data that you want encrypted and then back it up to a non system volume. It is not a solid fs yet, it can break. When it breaks, the btrfsck does not currently repair it.

I've had three partitions crumble, the last two I have a post for and have no idea what happened. One day they mounted, the next they didn't.
It's usable, but the only fallback currently is to back it up completely at all times to prevent having to pick up the pieces.
It consistently cannot use all the space of a nominated file system, You lose about 10% of a btrfs file system, It just can't read the size of itself correctly, wasting 10% of the volume. So when it fills before you expect it too, again you're prone to having the file system break.
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the encryption portion of this is...not a "non-variable", but soon as the crypt volume is unlocked, whether it's btrfs, ext3, reiser, doesn't matter.

I will say that the performance I've seen with btrfs has been sub-standard. I *am* using it atop luks volumes, as follows:

Code:

/dev/mapper/kvm on /kvm type btrfs (rw)
/dev/mapper/btrfsvol on /tmp type btrfs (rw,nodev,noatime,subvol=tmp)
/dev/mapper/btrfsvol on /usr type btrfs (rw,nodev,noatime,subvol=usr,compress)
/dev/mapper/btrfsvol on /var type btrfs (rw,noatime,subvol=var,compress)
/dev/mapper/btrfsvol on /opt type btrfs (rw,noatime,subvol=opt)
/dev/mapper/btrfsvol on /home type btrfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,subvol=home,compress)

I didn't do this the most sane way, just experimenting. But yes, it is possible. No, II will not be sticking with this setup, and as soon as I have the time to rebuild this monster system, I will go back to using safer file systems, crypto or no crypto.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: