Masked by missing keyword
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kueitao
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Masked by missing keyword Reply with quote

Hi all,

I want to install a package named dev-ada/gps-bin. When I run emerge I get:

host11 ~ # emerge gps-bin
Calculating dependencies... done!

!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "gps-bin" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- dev-ada/gps-bin-2.1.0 (masked by: missing keyword)

What does "masked by missing keyword" means?

If I run eix I get:

host11 ~ # eix gps-bin
* dev-ada/gps-bin
Available versions: ~*2.1.0
Homepage: http://libre.act-europe.fr/gps
Description: GNAT Programming System

So it doesn't seem to be masked.

What is the matter with this package? Can I install it?

Thanks.

fabio
sebaro
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read emerge (KEYWORDS) and portage (package.accept_keywords and package.keywords) manuals.
tryn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kueitao

On my computer in order to emerge dev-ada/gps-bin I had to add these three things to /etc/portage/package.keywords.
dev-ada/gps-bin ~x86
dev-ada/gtkada ~x86
virtual/gnat ~x86

Then it wanted to emerge this list.
[ebuild N ] app-admin/eselect-gnat-1.3-r1 0 kB
[ebuild N ] dev-lang/gnat-gcc-4.3.2 USE="nls" 43,447 kB
[ebuild N ] virtual/ada-2005 0 kB
[ebuild N ] virtual/gnat-4.3 0 kB
[ebuild N ] dev-ada/gtkada-2.10.0 USE="nls opengl" 5,391 kB
[ebuild N ] dev-ada/gps-bin-2.1.0 12,607 kB

Like Sebaro said you should do a bit of reading about Keywords.
Hope this helps you.
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are on amd64, this package is not keyworded for that arch. It appears that this is a binary package which was only ever released for x86.

You will probably be able to install it by adding
Code:
dev-ada/gps-bin ~x86
to package.keywords as tryn said, but whether it will work is uncertain.
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember having run gps-bin on my 64bit (with multilib) system.
Currently I'm not able to emerge gps-bin, because gtkada fails to compile.
Now it's time for the harvest
5UrNkC27BJ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sebaro wrote:
Read emerge (KEYWORDS) and portage (package.accept_keywords and package.keywords) manuals.

i find it interesting that "the algorithm" lands here first and considers this the authority on the topic, and not the docs.

the number of times i have landed here for murky details and bounced from the application of the example which doesn't works has consumed a tiny few minutes of time for me, like is it package.keywords? package.accept_keywords? package.<previous>/foopackagename?

no to all..

but i run /info emerge/ and see switches, like the one "the algorithm" should point to, because the encyclopedia of filesystem turds is the very very last resort and not representative of the language leading here...

ultimately the specifics are not clarified by rtfm as quickly as the solution i tried

emerge -avg intel-undervolt --autounmask-write --autounmask-keep-keywords n

but this solution works in 2022

so perhaps this is a counterproductive comment and deserves a rash of gentoo flames, but maybe it will save me some time 5 years down the road when "the algorithm" brings me back.

cheers
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5UrNkC27BJ,

Code:
 --autounmask-write
works in the short term but longer term will cause problems for you.

You need to understand what portage is about to do before you allow it to do go ahead, so by all means look at the suggestions them manually add them to
/etc/portage/package.accept _keywords if you like the suggestions.
--autounmask-write affects the design of your install and only you can decide on the design.

Portage can even get it wildly wrong by suggesting that an ebuild with a version number of all 9's is required.
Such ebuilds are referred to as 'live' as they track the upstreams repo commit by commit.

Older documentation refers to /etc/portage/package.accept _keywords as /etc/portage/package.keywords it was renamed to match the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS variable name from make.conf.
Meanwhile, both pathnames work for partege.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
5UrNkC27BJ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
5UrNkC27BJ,

Code:
 --autounmask-write
works in the short term but longer term will cause problems for you.

You need to understand what portage is about to do before you allow it to do go ahead, so by all means look at the suggestions them manually add them to
/etc/portage/package.accept _keywords if you like the suggestions.

imagine me as the model of someone who used gentoo between 1998-ish and 2006 almost exclusively, launching countless production operations and whatnot, and then returns cold after pursuing other things 15+ years later almost solely on the basis of google declaring it relevant for SOC this year.

it's not an understanding barrier, it's a memorizing-a-phonenumber quandary. I don't remember any phone numbers from that far back and couldn't tell you what any of my simcards have on them for the last decade.

gentoo was once and still appears to be a giant collection of bash shell scripts with a python faction always present but on a tight leash.

2005-10-ish forum posts that serve as the authority on the error message I paste into the search engine speaks to the holes in the rtfm culture that lack a detailed rundown of those error strings.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5UrNkC27BJ,

There are several points here.

Lets clarify what Gentoo is not first. Gentoo is not a Linux distro.
Gentoo is the portage package manager and the ::gentoo ebuild repository. Everything else is $UPSTREAM. You use Gentoo to design and install your own Linux disto.
Every Gentoo install is different. What we all have in common is the toolkit.

Users that approach Gentoo as if it were a binary distro are usually disappointed. The 'design' part of Gentoo is important. Users have to take the design decisions that binary distros have already made.
It provides the controls for that and demands that they be used.

Quote:
gentoo was once and still appears to be a giant collection of bash shell scripts with a python faction always present but on a tight leash.

That's a pretty good low level summary. ebuilds are bash and the package manager is written in python.
There is a now abandoned (in Gentoo) package manager written in C++. There is also pckcore, which is not complete. Its C or C++, I don't remember which Its libraries are used for Gentoo CI.

Documentation is always a problem. Both creating it and then maintaining it after it exists. Its mostly due to lack of effort. That's throughout the GNU/Linux world, not just Gentoo.
Anyone can create a Wiki account and post some documentation in the hope that it will be useful to others.
Feel free to join in the fun.

I would only read Linux related documents three years old or less ... until I got desperate.

On another topic altogether, how good is your memory?
That's only for fun and a trip down memory lane.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
There is also pckcore, which is not complete. Its C or C++

pkgcore is written in python. Moreover, I think that it is complete: It was complete up to some new EAPI support. And since pkgcheck (which is essentially part of pkgcore) supports all EAPIs, I assume that pkgcore meanwhile supports these new EAPIs as well.
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
NeddySeagoon wrote:
There is also pckcore, which is not complete. Its C or C++

pkgcore is written in python. Moreover, I think that it is complete: It was complete up to some new EAPI support. And since pkgcheck (which is essentially part of pkgcore) supports all EAPIs, I assume that pkgcore meanwhile supports these new EAPIs as well.
It does, albeit pmerge doesn't quite replace emerge (not without hassle anyway), nowadays pkgcore focus is mostly just pkgcheck and other support utilities like pmaint. Its last major maintainer felt it was a dead end and is working on pkgcraft from scratch instead (not to say where this will go and if/when it'll be usable as a potential replacement for anything).

Meanwhile portage is getting some code cleanups so it's easier to maintain and add new features as needed. That's why hasn't gotten a new release in a while and instead got a few backports in revbumps.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5UrNkC27BJ wrote:
sebaro wrote:
i find it interesting that "the algorithm" lands here first and considers this the authority on the topic, and not the docs.
You should take that up with The Algorithm. If it is preferentially leading you to an 11 year old thread instead of something newer, when newer materials definitely exist, then it is not doing its job very well - or you are giving it bad input. Since you did not tell us how you triggered it, we cannot determine fault.
5UrNkC27BJ wrote:
the number of times i have landed here for murky details and bounced from the application of the example which doesn't works has consumed a tiny few minutes of time for me, like is it package.keywords? package.accept_keywords? package.<previous>/foopackagename?
Please explain. man portage brings up a manual page with several hits for both package.accept_keywords and package.keywords, each of which explain their purpose in a manner I find to be quite clear. Did you read those and find it confusing? Did you not read it at all?
5UrNkC27BJ wrote:
but i run /info emerge/ and see switches,
Why are you using info here? It just redirects poorly to man. Moreover, the 2011 post you quoted specifically refers to both emerge and portage, and the latter is likely more relevant to what I suspect your problem is - though since you didn't actually show any errors, it's hard to be sure.
5UrNkC27BJ wrote:
like the one "the algorithm" should point to, because the encyclopedia of filesystem turds is the very very last resort and not representative of the language leading here...
I don't understand this complaint. Please restate.
5UrNkC27BJ wrote:
ultimately the specifics are not clarified by rtfm as quickly as the solution i tried
Then describe clearly what you wanted, what the documentation you read said, and what it should have said in order to solve your problem. Once that is done, we can evaluate whether the documentation needs to be modified to be more helpful.
5UrNkC27BJ wrote:
emerge -avg intel-undervolt --autounmask-write --autounmask-keep-keywords n

but this solution works in 2022
I think this solution did not even exist in 2011 when this thread was written.
5UrNkC27BJ wrote:
so perhaps this is a counterproductive comment
I would at least say it is not a useful comment. I've reread your post and I still don't know what you want changed. At best, this seems like a vague complaint that "The documentation should be better in some unspecified way that I would find more useful." That is not itself useful, because the documentation writers do not know what would make it more useful to you. Was it poorly indexed, causing you to be unable to find the information that solves your problem, even though that information was clearly written somewhere in the document? Was it wrong, causing you to try something that an expert could have told you will fail? Was it incomplete, requiring you to do your own research to figure out how to solve a problem that could have had a documented solution?
5UrNkC27BJ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, Hu, so much to unpack here. let me go right ahead for you:

I get the topic as an error. "Masked by missing keyword". you may have seen the package specifics, but that's not the important feature. i go from my 20+ years of gentoo history and modify package.keywords, then symlink it, and the error persists, then give up and hack the ebuild file, and all is well.

a week later, my ebuild tweak is gone and i wind up back here, because right clicking on error strings in terminal emulators gets work done. i don't remember most urls i use, or old phone numbers. or the intricacies of portage configs or the names of the gentoo devs which waged unbearable vitriole and flames upon each other back in the day leading to gentoo being an unworkable and unmaintained pile of garbage which caused professional headaches.

what happens in 2022 might be different than when manpages about emerge or portage or /etc/portage/package.turd was written, but it's a moot point.

I'm making an observation: the forum is the relevant search result for the portage error in /topic. the forum does say RTFM, but TFM isn't anywhere nearby and the forum doesn't actually have a link to any TFM.

sometimes knee-jerk rtfm responses can be more helpful than perhaps the ones starting this thread off.

Last edited by 5UrNkC27BJ on Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
5UrNkC27BJ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Documentation is always a problem. Both creating it and then maintaining it after it exists. Its mostly due to lack of effort. That's throughout the GNU/Linux world, not just Gentoo.
Anyone can create a Wiki account and post some documentation in the hope that it will be useful to others.
Feel free to join in the fun.

ok! so let me just introduce myself and tell everyone the way they are doing something is all wrong and a nice simple rewrite is all it takes!

or perhaps just start simpler: when you look up an error $string on an ibm terminal, you will find that error right in an IBM manual. to a lesser degree, when you get a java stacktrace, you will probably find javadoc somewhere if not the source code but for closed source you should expect SO, with it's anti-help-vampire defenses in place actually moding questions which are useful but malformed.

but... when you start depending on scripts, the whole ethos turns upside down, and getting an error is your fault, and not submitting a patch in github is instantly your scarlet letter for ever having said anything without first fixing the code.

succinctly, portage errors are not online searchable, but you can bet they will be 99% of the search-related traffic.

Quote:

On another topic altogether, how good is your memory?
That's only for fun and a trip down memory lane.

there's no way it was started that late in 99, that's what my memory serves up when I read that! I remember it was summertime when i first installed it, however, summertime is all-year long in Florida, so that's not a helpful marker. i think by late 99 i already had it netbooting on my sparc pizza boxes.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5UrNkC27BJ,

That date is the date of the gentoo.org domain registration.
drobbins could not remember a date for the actual first Gentoo that was called Gentoo, when I tried to establish when Gentoo's 10th birthday was.

For a year or so before that, there was Enoch, which was renamed to Gentoo. Its Enoch that gives the 'e' to ebuilds, eclass and so on.

There is a few articles by drobbins on the history of Gentoo too

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5UrNkC27BJ wrote:
I get the topic as an error.
As the second hit, you get a Gentoo Wiki page that, from a quick read, looks more helpful.
5UrNkC27BJ wrote:
i go from my 20+ years of gentoo history and modify package.keywords, then symlink it, and the error persists, then give up and hack the ebuild file, and all is well.
That is not the correct solution, for several reasons. If you want to use Gentoo, you will be more productive if you learn the right way to do things.
5UrNkC27BJ wrote:
a week later, my ebuild tweak is gone
Yes. You probably synced it away. This is the first thing we warn people about when they start trying to edit ebuilds.
5UrNkC27BJ wrote:
and i wind up back here, because right clicking on error strings in terminal emulators gets work done.
I've never found that to be a good way to get anything done. A right click merely modifies the length of the selection.
5UrNkC27BJ wrote:
what happens in 2022 might be different than when manpages about emerge or portage or /etc/portage/package.turd was written, but it's a moot point.
The manual pages cited here were the canonical location then and now.
5UrNkC27BJ wrote:
I'm making an observation: the forum is the relevant search result for the portage error in /topic.
To which I would counter that the search engine ought to be doing a better job. The Wiki is a better choice than an 11 year old forum thread.
5UrNkC27BJ wrote:
the forum does say RTFM, but TFM isn't anywhere nearby and the forum doesn't actually have a link to any TFM.
It could have been a bit clearer, yes. However, to me, man command seems like an obvious choice when someone says to read the manual.
5UrNkC27BJ wrote:
and yes, this was flame bait, and you bit. that in no way dimnishes the relevance or the commentary on the gentoo primadona tendencies which have followed portage all the way to this post here.
What prima donna tendencies? You found an ancient forum post where one non-developer tried to help another non-developer. A now-current Gentoo developer (who may or may not have had that badge back then; badges are retroactive when someone enrolls as a developer) then provided an answer that, as best I can tell, was written in good faith. I see nothing in chithanh's post that I would criticize or correct.
5UrNkC27BJ wrote:
NeddySeagoon wrote:
ok! so let me just introduce myself and tell everyone the way they are doing something is all wrong and a nice simple rewrite is all it takes!
That is not at all what Neddy suggested. He suggested that you join the Wiki and add documentation that may be useful. This does not need to be, and probably should not be, confrontational in the style you describe. Nothing said here leads me to think a rewrite, simple or otherwise, is the solution.
5UrNkC27BJ wrote:
but... when you start depending on scripts, the whole ethos turns upside down, and getting an error is your fault, and not submitting a patch in github is instantly your scarlet letter for ever having said anything without first fixing the code.
That is not the case either. You complained that the existing documentation was not good enough. We suggested that if you are unhappy with the documentation, you should improve it so that it is good enough, or at the very least, you should post constructive criticism so that someone else can improve it. The fault is not in hitting the error, but in asserting that (1) it is currently too hard for ordinary users to solve the shown error and (2) all-mighty developers should have anticipated this and documented it better back when it was written, or at least should guess now how their documentation failed you and fix it - without any hints from you about how the existing documentation is inadequate.
5UrNkC27BJ wrote:
succinctly, portage errors are not online searchable, but you can bet they will be 99% of the search-related traffic.
This is the type of criticism I want you to write. I happen to think you are incorrect in this claim since the second hit is a relevant Wiki page, but at least here we can discuss what could or should be different.
5UrNkC27BJ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu,

while commenting on the Google, or Duck-duck-google algorithm, i mentioned that i put that comment here to come back to in 5 years. that was a contribution.

i'd respond to your points but the formatting is a giant wall of one-line text with braces mixed in. blaming google for the error text being in a forum but not in a list of emerge errors is to be taken at face value.

maybe in my fumbling i added an extra colon, or did the tilde wrong, or maybe that package is just extra preventative of being emerged. I'm good for 5 more years with the auto-corrupt flags
5UrNkC27BJ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5UrNkC27BJ wrote:
and i wind up back here, because right clicking on error strings in terminal emulators gets work done.
I've never found that to be a good way to get anything done. A right click merely modifies the length of the selection.[quote="5UrNkC27BJ"]

sometimes I use a recent terminal emulator with lookup: https://imgur.com/a/KxuEZOR

maybe there's one you can find.
pingtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5UrNkC27BJ wrote:
sometimes I use a recent terminal emulator with lookup: https://imgur.com/a/KxuEZOR

maybe there's one you can find.

I wonder if the terminal emulator can be configured to search Gentoo's wiki pages Or search man pages on the system? Or if that is not configurable, may be request the developer to make it configurable?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: