Adding on more HDD space / splitting an existing install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gentooP4
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Adding on more HDD space / splitting an existing install Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have an Arch partition I hardly use anymore. I was going to delete it and then grow my Gentoo one, but the Arch is a primary and the Gentoo an extended, it won't let me.

My question is should I make one big partition and re-install Gentoo or should I just copy certain directories from / to the new space? What directories are good to put on a separate partition? I assume my Portage sources? I would like to make a separate /boot partition while I'm at it (something I should have done originally).

Can someone please recommend me a good 'layout'? I have 20gb to play with.

Many thanks

If you voted for Trump or Brexit, you were likely influenced by the Cambridge Analytica propaganda machine.
rh1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"/var/tmp/portage" is good to have on it's own partition if you don't already have it in tmpfs, it cuts down on fragmentation.
gentooP4
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response. What file system would you recomend for /var/tmp/portage? reiserfs? and how much space do you think would suffice? Many thanks
Actually, I'm thinking I might start again from scratch. Will do some reading of other peoples fstabs.

If you voted for Trump or Brexit, you were likely influenced by the Cambridge Analytica propaganda machine.
rh1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What file system would you recomend for /var/tmp/portage? reiserfs? and how much space do you think would suffice?
File system probably doesn't matter too much as it's going to be used for building packages but you'll never really store anything there past the current build and any build failures. Size depends. If you plan on compiling something large, like openoffice, you need around 5-6GB. I have mine set to 10G to be safe, and so i can build a few packages at the same time.

If you are starting from scratch, i would recommend taking a look at LVM. Outside of what windows is using, I have one big partition , using lvm, with everything, except for /boot, on it including root and swap. It makes it simple to add/change/remove stuff without ever having to re-partition and/or reinstall. You can add and delete logical volumes at will. You just need to make an initramfs, it's actually quite easy to setup. http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Initramfs
gentooP4
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks that sounds really cool and I will look into it. In the meantime I did make a new boot partition and copied everything across from my old /boot but there is some sort of a symbolic link and I'm not sure where it should point to or how to figure out where it currently points to. cd'ing into it seems to go round in circles.

If I update my grub to boot to the new boot partition I get a kernel panic. Somethings not right.

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: