Help needed installing zoneminder
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewwalker27
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Help needed installing zoneminder Reply with quote

I'm trying to get zoneminder working in linux but it's pure torture due to lack of documentation.
The actual Gentoo guide on the zoneminder website is missing everything after installing the packages, this includes configuring mysql, user permissions etc

http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.php/Gentoo_Install

Other sites mention that the start/stop script for zoneminder in gentoo is broken.
Has anyone actually got it working?

There also seems to be a bug with the ebuild, it fails to build unless you do the following

CPPFLAGS="-D__STDC_CONSTANT_MACROS" emerge -av www-misc/zoneminder

Which I found here

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-765893-highlight-zoneminder.html

I've also found comments about the init script being broken,
http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.php/Gentoo_ZioPRoTo

I think my main problem is mysql though, when I start zoneminder I get the following errors

rosie fred # /etc/init.d/zoneminder start
zoneminder | * Starting zoneminder ...
zoneminder |DBI connect('database=zm;host=localhost','zmuser',...) failed: Access denied for user 'zmuser'@'localhost' (using password: YES) at /usr/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.12.2/ZoneMinder/Config.pm line 89
zoneminder |Can't call method "prepare_cached" on an undefined value at /usr/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.12.2/ZoneMinder/Config.pm line 91.
zoneminder |BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.12.2/ZoneMinder/Config.pm line 100.
zoneminder |Compilation failed in require at /usr/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.12.2/ZoneMinder.pm line 33.
zoneminder |BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.12.2/ZoneMinder.pm line 33.
zoneminder |Compilation failed in require at /usr/bin/zmpkg.pl line 46.
zoneminder |BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/zmpkg.pl line 46. [ !! ]
zoneminder | * ERROR: zoneminder failed to start

I don't understand mysql in the slightest but I know there is no group or user called zmuser on my system, could this be the problem?

Does anyone know the location of a working howto?
DawgG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
DBI connect('database=zm;host=localhost','zmuser',...) failed: Access denied for user 'zmuser'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

looks like the database-connection is failing - have you configured the db? you probably need a user zmuser in the (mysql?)-database. i think the database-config is pretty generic (not gentoo-specific) so can use it from some other howto.

in case zm does not work: have you tried motion? it seems much smaller and does not have as many features but it is nice and liteweight, i think.

GOOD LUCK!
Btoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Zoneminder after the compile Reply with quote

The Mysql commands on the CentOS ZM tutorial will work fine and probably others. The commands are relevant to Mysql not Gentoo.

I just finished a Zoneminder 1.24.2 install and can say the ebuild works just fine with the start/stop /etc/init.d script working as well. I think some of the posts you found are out of date.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-765893-highlight-zoneminder.html <FIXED>

You will need, if your install is new with PHP 5.3, to edit some PHP files as described in the above link. It was not too much trouble and I know little about php, but enough to edit code.
I found the errors and therefore what to edit by just pulling up links in Zoneminder.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Btoo on Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total
andrewwalker27
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply but is that the correct link you sent me? Otherwise, I'm not sure what snort has to do with mysql!
Btoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject: Zoneminder after the compile Reply with quote

:oops:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-765893-highlight-zoneminder.html

Sorry, am working on Snort today, just a mis-click!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: