How to configure FSTAB and mounting floppy & CD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doublehead
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: How to configure FSTAB and mounting floppy & CD Reply with quote

I'm 'almost' a total newbie, but I want to install Gentoo 1.4.
I've managed to do everything right until it comes to FSTAB'ing.
How do I do that?
The instructions in the manual are just not clear enough for me.
I also want to configure the FSTAB to mount my cdrom and floppy drive so I can continue with the installation.
PS. All my linux experience is Mandrake, not very much, eh? :lol:
the lone crouton
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you foilowed the install docs exactly, you need something like this:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
# $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-src/rc-scripts/etc/fstab,v 1.12 2003/03/11 02:50:53 azarah Exp $
#
# noatime turns of atimes for increased performance (atimes normally aren't
# needed; notail increases performance of ReiserFS (at the expense of storage
# efficiency). It's safe to drop the noatime options if you want and to
# switch between notail and tail freely.

# <fs> <mountpoint> <type> <opts> <dump/pass>

# NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to opts.
/dev/hda1 /boot ext2 noauto,noatime 1 1
/dev/hda3 / reiserfs noatime 0 1
/dev/hda2 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,ro 0 0

# NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

# glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
# POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink).
# (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will
# use almost no memory if not populated with files)
# Adding the following line to /etc/fstab should take care of this:

none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0

/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd /mnt/cdrom auto ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0

Note I dont have a floppy drive, so you'll need to add that line. And feel free to lose everything beginning with #. Hunt around here - plenty to learn... ;)
tollwilly125
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

basically, the install documents give you enough fstab information to get your hd and cdrom properly configured. here is my fstab if youre looking to get some of your other hardware working:
Code:

# <fs>                  <mountpoint>    <type>          <opts>                  <dump/pass>

# NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to opts.
/dev/hda1               /boot           ext3            noauto,noatime          1 2
/dev/hda3               /               reiserfs        noatime                 0 1
/dev/hda2               none            swap            sw                      0 0
/dev/hdc                /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         noauto,ro,users,exec    0 0
/dev/sda4               /mnt/usbzip     vfat            noauto,users            0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy     vfat            noauto,users            0 0
# NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
proc                    /proc           proc            defaults                0 0

# glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
# POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink).
# (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will
#  use almost no memory if not populated with files)
# Adding the following line to /etc/fstab should take care of this:

none                    /dev/shm        tmpfs           defaults                0 0

you can see which hardware i have, which filesystem im using, and the different options ive assigned. your floopy and cdrom should show up if you right click on your desktop and scroll to "disks" once you get X fired up with the DE of your choice. let me know if this helps.

-toll-booth willy
JjcampNR
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:50 am    Post subject: Dump/Pass Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone could give me a short and sweet explination of the dump/pass section of the fstab file.

I usually just go with the "standard" 1 2 for boot and 0 1 for my root partition, but I'm wondering if this is really the right choice, and if I should always use 0 0 for everything else. Any help as to the meaning of the dump/pass values and what they really mean would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in Advance,

Josh

http://www.torquenetworks.com
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Dump/Pass Reply with quote

JjcampNR wrote:
I was wondering if anyone could give me a short and sweet explination of the dump/pass section of the fstab file.

Try the "fstab" man page. Everything you need to know is in there.

Manpages are really good. Everyone should check them out before asking stuff on the forums. ( j/k) :wink:

-- Curious
JjcampNR
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But but but but....

man pages can be sooooooooo long! :wink:

OK OK, I'll try the man page...I do usually look there first, however this time it was like 3am and I was finishing up an install and really didn't have the eye power left to go through a man page and just wanted a quick here's how it is. Now that it's light out again, to the man pages I go!

Thanks....I think,

Josh

JjcampNR
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I did read the man page for fstab, but I still have a question or two that I'd like to get answered. I understand the the pass is for telling fsck when or if the filesystem needs to be checked. And I understand that the dump option specifies whether the filesystem needs to be dumped or not. However, I don't quite understand what that means.

I tried looking for a man or help file for dump or fs_freq the actual variable being set, but couldn't find anything. If anyone could give me some info on what "dumping" the filesystem means, I'd appreciate it. I'm assuming it would have to do with dumping the old journel maybe (but maybe not).

Thanks in advance,

Josh

smith
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By placing those variables in the fstab for the cdrom and floppy.. does that mean they will auto mount when put in the drive? Or do you still have to do something after that?

btw: I second the question above also ;)
Atom Smasher
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you need to use unmount dev in order for the new cd to be seen ? is that right ?
synapscape
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To JjcampNR:

"Dump" has something to do with backup/restore ext2-filesystems. try a

Code:

emerge search dump

to see that it is a package that you can install and read its short description. As you don't have it installed, it's no wonder you cannot read the manpage for dump as that page comes with the package. I myself do not have it installed on my system so you might live without it. Still, I am using a value of 1 for all ext2/ext3-filesystems in my fstab.

The value for pass is explained well in the manpage for fstab:

"The sixth field, (fs_passno), is used by the fsck(8) program to determine the order in which filesystem checks are done at reboot time. The root filesystem should be specified with a fs_passno of 1, and other filesystems should have a fs_passno of 2."

Isn't this quite self-explanatory? ;)
fsck is a program that will check your unix-filesystems at boot time. Not at every reboot, but, in normal system operation, every ~30 reboots. With the pass-field in fstab, you decide the order in which your filesystems (aka partitions) are checked. Of course, you should check your roor filesystem / at first, then all other filesystems. For example, i have /, /boot, /home and /opt on different partitions and/or on different disks. So the entry for / in my fstab has a pass-field of 1, the other three a pass-field of 2. If a partition does not need checking by fsck, use a value of 0 for the pass field (e.g. windowspartitions, cdroms, floppies etc...)

See clearer now? ;)

to smith:
You are looking for "supermount" to mount removable media automagically.
synapscape
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To JjcampNR:

"Dump" has something to do with backup/restore ext2-filesystems. try a

Code:

emerge search dump

to see that it is a package that you can install and read its short description. As you don't have it installed, it's no wonder you cannot read the manpage for dump as that page comes with the package. I myself do not have it installed on my system so you might live without it. Still, I am using a value of 1 for all ext2/ext3-filesystems in my fstab.

The value for pass is explained well in the manpage for fstab:

"The sixth field, (fs_passno), is used by the fsck(8) program to determine the order in which filesystem checks are done at reboot time. The root filesystem should be specified with a fs_passno of 1, and other filesystems should have a fs_passno of 2."

Isn't this quite self-explanatory? ;)
fsck is a program that will check your unix-filesystems at boot time. Not at every reboot, but, in normal system operation, every ~30 reboots. With the pass-field in fstab, you decide the order in which your filesystems (aka partitions) are checked. Of course, you should check your roor filesystem / at first, then all other filesystems. For example, i have /, /boot, /home and /opt on different partitions and/or on different disks. So the entry for / in my fstab has a pass-field of 1, the other three a pass-field of 2. If a partition does not need checking by fsck, use a value of 0 for the pass field (e.g. windowspartitions, cdroms, floppies etc...)

See clearer now? ;)

to smith:
You are looking for "supermount" to mount removable media automagically.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: