What Apps benefit from NativePosixThreadLibrary
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmjdebruijn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:03 pm    Post subject: What Apps benefit from NativePosixThreadLibrary Reply with quote

Hi,

I was wondering what applications really benefit from the NativePosixThreadLibrary:
1. All threaded applications
2. All applications written to use NPTL (if so how does one recognize such an applications?)
3. Maybe even single threaded apps, because a process is a thread more or less also...?

Kind Regards,
DrZ
verbatim
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it replaces the library being used for threading now in linux, so that all threaded applications benefit automatically.
pmjdebruijn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NPTL should increase linux' scalability, but how does that reflect on single CPU systems? Will they also benefit? or only SMP machines...

Bye,
DrZ
asimon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Systems which run a lot of (which means hundreds or thousands) concurrent threads will benefit most. The typical desktop where only a small number of threads run concurrently won't benefit much from it.

NPTL will also speed up threading on single CPU machines, because operations like the creation of threads are evidently cheaper with NPTL then with the old linux thread library.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Java is a typical app that will benefit from beeing recompiled with a GLIBC with NPTL.

Just emergeing glibc with nptl set in your USE flags is not going to do any good, you have to actually recompile your JDK too.

I'm sure there are other apps that are threaded which will benefit from it too.

I have been using glibc/nptl and j2sdk 1.4.1 for quite some time and it works fine.

Erik
cederberg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
Just emergeing glibc with nptl set in your USE flags is not going to do any good, you have to actually recompile your JDK too.

I think if you use the sun-jdk-1.4.2 or later, NPTL is enabled by default. At least that is true for Red Hat, so it ought to work the same on a Gentoo box with NPTL. Also, sun-jdk is a binary ebuild, so there is really no recompilation going on.

I guess, though, that if you are using the sun-j2sdk ebuild (as Erik does) you really need to recompile (i.e. reemerge).
nephros
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cederberg wrote:
ebrostig wrote:

I think if you use the sun-jdk-1.4.2 or later, NPTL is enabled by default. At least that is true for Red Hat, so it ought to work the same on a Gentoo box with NPTL. Also, sun-jdk is a binary ebuild, so there is really no recompilation going on.

I guess, though, that if you are using the sun-j2sdk ebuild (as Erik does) you really need to recompile (i.e. reemerge).

I can cofirm that sun-jdk-1.4.2_01 uses NPTL without recompilation. It has also been stated elsewhere that binary jdk seems to be faster than self-compiled, probably because of the use of proprietary optimizing compilers (intel-jdk/icc comes to mind, no idea what the sun people use).

What are typical apps apart from java which will benefit?
A quick emerge -pve world on my system showed that part from glibc only wine and fltk respect the +nptl USE flag.

Multimedia apps are typically threaded, so I re-emerged things like transcode and mplayer. Blender would probably benefit too. I also recompiled bzip2 and friends, but I doubt they use threads.

Anything else?
yardbird
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nephros wrote:

Multimedia apps are typically threaded, so I re-emerged things like transcode and mplayer.

MPlayer is single-threaded, as far as I remember. It is a precise architectural policy of MPlayer devs. If you are looking for a threaded version of MPlayer, go to http://mplayerxp.sf.net.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: