Not able to view kernel or initramfs.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
astromech_kuhns
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Not able to view kernel or initramfs. Reply with quote

So twice i have attempted the gentoo installation and twice i have not been able to get the system to boot. i can ge the entire system installed but when it comes to editing grub i am unable to specify both kernel and initramfs locations.

i just compile genkernel instead of configuring the kernel myself. so after running the command genkernel all, you are supposed to enter:

Code:
ls /boot/kernel* /boot/initramfs*

so that you can view the path to the kernel and initramfs to add to the grub.config. whenever i run the command to view them, and this was with both installations, i got a message saying no such file or directory. so both isntallation attempts i was unable to view the path so i couldnt complete grub correctly. i am wondering what may be the cause of this? am i doing something wrong? i believe i am following the handbook correctly. but i should have this file. i also have attempted to browes through the directories for them but with no luck.

systme is a HP gt60-t laptop
64 bit
using a amd64bit installation cd

im pretty experienced with the command line as a basic linux user.

Thanks,

Kotlon Kuhns
gentoo_dude
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after running genkernel do you see any kind of errors? do you have a separate /boot partition?
astromech_kuhns
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no error during the compile and yes i keep a separate boot partition. i do the same setup as the documentation save for the windows 7 installation on sda1 and sda2.

i keep boot on sda3
sda4 is extended
sda5 is swap
sda6 is /
forkbomb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you specified "noauto" in /etc/fstab for your /boot partition?

I have "noauto" set for my /boot partition and genkernel seems to automatically mount /boot if it's not mounted. After doing its "magic" it umounts /boot. Under normal circumstances, if you specified "noauto", the system won't mount /boot unless it's explicitly done by a user.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To correct genkernel deficiencies, suggest trying:
Code:
mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/gentoo
mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/gentoo/boot
mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
env-update
source /etc/profile
export PS1="(chroot) $PS1"
cd /usr/src/linux
genkernel --menuconfig all
edit menuconfig to:
Quote:
General setup --->
Kernel compression mode (Gzip) --->
<*> Kernel .config support
[*] Enable access to .config through /proc/config.gz
[ ] enable deprecated sysfs features to support old userspace tools
exit twice and save config, when genkernel finishes:
Code:
emerge grub
grub
root (hd0,3) # should return file system type of /boot partition
setup (hd0)  # should tell you that it embedded sectors and succeeded
quit
ls -l /boot
Should show the names of the initramfs and kernel with very recent date times; then:
Code:
nano /boot/grub/grub.conf
edit to include the actual names for kernel and initramfs reported from /s -l /boot
Quote:
default 0
timeout 30
#splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title Gentoo Linux 2.6.34-r1
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.36-gentoo-r5 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda6
initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.36-gentoo-r5

# Only in case you want to dual-boot
title Windows 7
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
makeactive
chainloader +1
Then:
Code:
exit
reboot

astromech_kuhns
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
To correct genkernel deficiencies, suggest trying:
Code:
mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/gentoo
mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/gentoo/boot
mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
env-update
source /etc/profile
export PS1="(chroot) $PS1"
cd /usr/src/linux
genkernel --menuconfig all
edit menuconfig to:
Quote:
General setup --->
Kernel compression mode (Gzip) --->
<*> Kernel .config support
[*] Enable access to .config through /proc/config.gz
[ ] enable deprecated sysfs features to support old userspace tools
exit twice and save config, when genkernel finishes:
Code:
emerge grub
grub
root (hd0,3) # should return file system type of /boot partition
setup (hd0)  # should tell you that it embedded sectors and succeeded
quit
ls -l /boot
Should show the names of the initramfs and kernel with very recent date times; then:
Code:
nano /boot/grub/grub.conf
edit to include the actual names for kernel and initramfs reported from /s -l /boot
Quote:
default 0
timeout 30
#splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title Gentoo Linux 2.6.34-r1
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.36-gentoo-r5 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda6
initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.36-gentoo-r5

# Only in case you want to dual-boot
title Windows 7
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
makeactive
chainloader +1
Then:
Code:
exit
reboot

thank you for the reply, i was in the process of the installation for the third time and my system was hanging, i had to reboot and re-chroot into it. the commands didnt work after that but im sure it had to do with what i did when going back into the system or that happened while it was hanging up. i really do not feel like redoing this installation a 4th time so im going to install slackware. it would be different if i was pressured for time, but im on the robotics teams programming team, so i need to have a functional computer. if not, i would have more time to dink with getting gentoo set up.

I do apreciate the time and the help though, you guys are awesome!

Kolton Kuhns
astromech_kuhns
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i ended up having the time to redo it compiling my own kernel. we didnt have a build session that monday.so i took the time to do that and my friend helped me get the little tweeks fixed. but it was odd that genkernel was not creating those files like it was supposed to.

anyway, i got a gentoo system working right now. only the command line. i got it booting and tried loading wireless drivers into the kernel. i now have a problem with my networking. i have what i believe to be an atheros 9 chipset. i loaded all the atheros drivers to be sure which one. i do not have the ability to run a wired connection any longer. i also am having wireless issues, at first my wireless device was working and connecting to the teams router. the closes unsecured network. but my light for my wireless kept turning orange to signal it was off. running rfkill list showed a software block, so we ran rfkill unblock0 and it unblocked it and would reconnect. we had to repeat this numerous times. after coming home i had no wired ethernet still and my wireless card will not connect to a secured network. i actaully cant seem to get it to connect to any network.

when booting the blue wireless light is on but as soon as i try to connect it fails and turns off. i need both connections or atleast wired to finish the installation.

ifconfig shows up with 1o or lo as my only device, (not sure which) and iwconfig shows up with lo,1o (again, cant tell) sit0 and wlan0. i assume i should have a eth0 for wired connection.

at boot up i get device driver for eth0 not installed. im not sure what im looking for though as i have searched through the kernel a ton for a wired device im missing.

i dont have much of a net.config as of now since i have been altering it a ton trying to get it to work. i do have config_eth0=( "dhcp" ) though. not much else that isnt being constantly altered to try to get it working.

first thing would be nice is a wired connection, definitely wireless after that though. if you guys need any more info on my set up please ask, but i have to do this from a separate computer and am not sure what all is needed as of now.

i appreciate any help.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that lo is phonetically ELL OH

run
Code:
ifconfig -a
If eth0 does not appear it indicates that
a. the wired NIC has no driver, kernel configuration problem
b. the NIC is defective
or
c. the NIC is disabled, in BIOS or on the motherboard

If eth0 works with the install cd booted, b and c are out.

In such case, boot the cd, run
Code:
lspci -k #just lspci if -k option is not supported
There should be an ethernet listing for your NIC, if the -k option worked there should be a "Driver in use:" listed. That driver should be in your kernel as a module.
astromech_kuhns
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lspci -k turned up htat i have the driver r8169 loaded adn that its labeled RTL 8101E/8102E

so i booted up and brought up the kernel, i marked it as a Module, saved and exited, ran make $$ make modules_install and i loaded the new bzimage in. rebooted. at startup i get a time out for configuring eth0 then it skips it. i still dont have eth0 listed under iwconfig or ifconfig.

EDIT: stupid me i completely forgot, in a attempt to get my wired connection working i changed the default to sit0 instead of eth0. i was looking at the config for the network when i noticed that. changed it back and it works now.

so, i currently have

Code:
config_eth0=( "dhcpcd" )

i currently have dhcpcd installed. should that be set to dhcpcd like it is or just dhpc? its working under the current way but im not sure what its supposed to be.

thanks! i can continue with the installation now and then worry about getting wireless running later.

Its my first time configuring my own kernel if you cant tell :D but i am learning so much. truly learning not just asking a question and replicating what is being said. thats what i got tired of in ubuntu. i am learning to edit my kernel. i am learning to find the devices running on my machine, to look for errors upon bootup, thats how i initially saw that both wired and wireless wasnt working. i am learning bash better than ever as well. im learning what it takes to have a system.

I appreciate the help with this so far! im glad i ended up having the time to stay with gentoo. its very rewarding.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you have a spare moment run: (To gather and set up needed tools)
Code:
mkdir /etc/portage
echo "net-wireless/wpa_supplicant dbus gnutls qt4 readline ssl wps" >> /etc/portage/package.use
emerge wpa_supplicant wireless-tools ifplugd
nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
edit to include
Quote:
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=wheel
update_config=1
ap_scan=1
[fast_reauth=1
Then run:
Code:
nano /etc/conf.d/net
Edit to add
Quote:
modules_wlan0=( "wpa_supplicant" )
wpa_supplicant_wlan0="-Dwext"
wpa_timeout_wlan0=15
modules_wlan0=( "dhcpcd" )
config_wlan0=( "dhcp" )
dhcpcd_wlan0="-t 10"
Then run
Code:
cd /etc/init.d
ln -s net.lo net.wlan0
iwlist scan
Output lists available wireless access points, this info can be used to write network entries in wpa_supplicant.conf if wpa_gui is unavailable.
If you have installed a desktop GUI you can run wpa_gui either from a menu or a terminal window to scan, connect, and save network settings.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: