Gentoo: True Linux and close to Unix?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bujuju
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:10 am    Post subject: Gentoo: True Linux and close to Unix? Reply with quote

Hello,

I've been debating whether to install Gentoo (which I'm leaning toward) Debian, or Slackware.

Debian people claim that Debian is more like the real Linux (which I thought was just the kernel anyway).

Slackware people say that Slack is the most Unix-like and that if you know Slack then you basically know Unix.

How close is Gentoo to Unix and if I know Gentoo would I be able to use any Linux distro?

Sincerely,

bujuju
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo: True Linux and close to Unix? Reply with quote

bujuju wrote:
[...] and if I know Gentoo would I be able to use any Linux distro?

No. Once you learn Gentoo you won't be able to go back to just any old Linux.
TheCoop
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, you can but you will absolutely hate it and immediately want gentoo back again :D

"One World, One web, One program" - Microsoft Promo ad.
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer" - Adolf Hitler

Change the world - move a rock
jstubbs
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that Gentoo does for you that Slackware doesn't is dependencies - or so I've heard. Also, each distro tends to have different init scripts (equivalent to config.sys and autoexec.bat if you don't know unix) so you would need to learn that if changing distro/*nix flavour. Other than that, Gentoo (even with its idiosyncracies that are still to be worked out) is the best thing since sliced bread. :D

Incidentally, I'd say that LFS is the truest Unix. It doesn't do nuttin' for ya. :wink:
Mystilleef
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give all of them a try. Test them for four months each. Let us know what you think.

P.S. Test Gentoo last so that you are not biased.

"My logic is undeniable."
nephros
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say the above is true, not just simply biased opinion.
Once you've had Gentoo, Gentoo has you.

I think this is because Gentoo is rather young, and was designed from scratch, and so does not suffer from crufty ways of doing things "because we've always done it this way" that much. I had this feeling a lot with Debian, as well as RedHat (though with them it's more like "do it this way because We Say So and it's Good For You).

If you want the Unix expierience, I suggest you look into the *BSDs, and probably the "free" Sun Solaris for x86 too.
bujuju
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I meant is that if I *had* to use another distro at work or something would all the same Gentoo commands work with other distros. :D

Actually, I'm really leaning toward Gentoo. I'm just one of those indecisive types, heh.

I've tried Redhat and Mandrake so far. Really hated Redhat and don't care much for Mandrake. Won't even try Suse as the company seems a little too proprietary.

To be more specific, does Gentoo conform to the Linux File System Standard? Would the following command work on Debian or Slackware:
# usermod -G users,wheel username ?

Ack. I'm just going to order the Gentoo CDs off the site and install it. I'll learn the other stuff from HOW-TOs and books :wink:

Thanks for the comments and for not flamming me into oblivion; from what I've heard, the Slackware forums are filled with vipers, heh.

Sincerely,
Bujuju
nephros
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bujuju wrote:
What I meant is that if I *had* to use another distro at work or something would all the same Gentoo commands work with other distros. :D

It depends. In general, yes, if the commands are common Unix/Linux commands. Like the GNU tools, util-linux etc.
The distris differ mainly in system administration tools, like package installation method or rc/init scripts.
bujuju wrote:

To be more specific, does Gentoo conform to the Linux File System Standard? Would the following command work on Debian or Slackware:
# usermod -G users,wheel username ?

Gentoo is not LFS compilant. But neither are other Distris. Not a big deal IMO.
I would expect the userrmod command to work on any Linux, and most POSIX systems/Unices too.
quag7
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that in my experience, Gentoo is a great distribution to learn if you want to be able to use other distributions. The issue is tools more than anything else. In other distros, init scripts and programs may be in different places and you'll have to hunt around, but that's not a big deal.

The only thing that, possibly, Gentoo won't teach you that is useful to know in some other distros is installing packages and resolving dependency issues. Which is not at all fun or interesting but is something you may encounter elsewhere. You certainly may install non-portage packages in Gentoo and learn to handle this, but I've needed, maybe, two things that weren't in portage in two years.

With this possible exception, Gentoo is a "stick shift" distribution, meaning, yeah, if you can run it successfully you'll be able to find your way around other distributions and even operating systems (I've used FreeBSD since without a problem). I somehow wound up adminning two Cobalt RaQs (Red Hat-ish), and while I miss the Gentoo tools, it was a minor thing to figure out the differences.

The other possible distribution to look at is Debian. I keep having annoying experiences with it but most people who run it, love it, and stick with it.

However, I will say this: I have not encountered any distribution yet that has a feature that Gentoo didn't, that I wish it did. However, I routinely wish things were done the Gentoo way in other distros.

This may well be just because I'm used to Gentoo, but probably it's also partially that Gentoo just does things in a way that feels "right." I keep trying out other distros on my test computer and keep losing interest. It is slated to be reformatted as my fourth Gentoo machine.
jstubbs
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quag7 wrote:
The only thing that, possibly, Gentoo won't teach you that is useful to know in some other distros is installing packages and resolving dependency issues. Which is not at all fun or interesting but is something you may encounter elsewhere. You certainly may install non-portage packages in Gentoo and learn to handle this, but I've needed, maybe, two things that weren't in portage in two years.

Ahh, I dunno. If running ~x86 (unstable/untested packages) there's sometimes a few dependency problems. Not as fun as Mandrake or Redhat but still a little fun. :twisted:

And there's always the possibility of knocking ebuilds together yourself when a package you want isn't in portage. And of course, just looking at ebuilds pretty much teaches you everything you need to know about the kind of dependencies that exist and how to compile a package (and then some).
UncleTom
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo: True Linux and close to Unix? Reply with quote

bujuju wrote:
How close is Gentoo to Unix...

You should hear what the sysadmins at my customer's site have to say about the "real" Unix. There is constant bickering between HP-UX and Solaris people and they only unite temporarily to bash AIX. The AIX administrators from down the road would disagree, of course, but they are not invited to join the discussion.

When it comes to Linux, everybody disagrees again.

I've worked on a fair number of these commercial Unixes and three Linux distros and I believe that even though there are differences, they generally get overrated. But then I am a developer and not a full-time sysadmin.

I must say though that Gentoo gathers a lot of followers around here and most of the people who tried it themselves stick with it. I think that's a pretty good sign... :wink:
The Mountain Man
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my admittedly limited experience, there's not a whole lot of differences between the different distros. I've use Red Hat (years ago), Slackware, and most recently Gentoo. All the common Unix/Linux commands worked consistently from distro to distro, so I'd say if you know the basics of Linux through Gentoo, you'll be good on any Linux system. It's when you start getting into the nitty gritty, under the hood type stuff that you'll really start to notice differences.
far
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real surprise comes when you end up on a system that doesn't use the gnu tools. "Hey, why won't cp, ls, ln, et cetera take any of the usual flags?"
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: