Transmission/uTorrent seed files dir incompatiblity[Solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Transmission/uTorrent seed files dir incompatiblity[Solved] Reply with quote

Hi dear all,

I currently run Gentoo on a dual boot system with M$. In M$ I have uTorrent running with files located in differents directories on a dedicated partition.

I wish to make my Gentoo session to seed the same as M$ session.

My understanding of Transmission is that all seeded data are expected to be in a single directory.
So I guess I should reorganize my uTorrent data accordingly in order to share it with Gentoo/Transmission.

Can anyone advise me in this regard?

Thanks for your attention.

Last edited by CaptainBlood on Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
bobspencer123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about transmission (though from a quick google it looks like people have asked but transmission still doesn't have this ability) but if you want try rtorrent you can watch multiple directories for torrent files and have different destination directories.

check out this page

rtorrent is certainly more complicated to get set up and you would probably want to use a web ui (I use rutorrent) but it is super efficient and uses very little resources and is very powerful once set up correctly.

for example I am running 500+ torrents on a sheevaplug and it only uses 5-10% cpu and 125Mb+ of ram. Pretty sweet.
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing at an alternative :).

For sure reorganising the original directory structure should be avoided.

Let me study first, then I'll be able to make my decision to switch to it or not.

Thanks for your attention, interest ans support.
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like:
rTorrent does like NTFS EDIT rTorrent doesn't like NTFS.

Transmission has issues with files > 2Gb.

Since some of my files are bigger than 2Gb, the only solution for me is now to convert my partition to fat32 (if it doesn't raise any issue with rTorrent).

Last edited by CaptainBlood on Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I'm not sure - some torrent clients' intermediate/incomplete files may not be compatible with each other. I think rtorrent intermediate files are verbatim sparse copies of the file, but other torrent clients are unsorted (the latter are less likely to fragment the disk).

Other than specifying the directories it should be compatible... just depends on the software you use.

I'm an rtorrent user, but I don't know windows clients directory structure, so not sure how compatible it is. Dumps everything where I want it though.
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well uTorrent doesn't impose any directory structure, it is just something of my own, for clarity mainly.
As of switching from one boot to another expecting alternate torrent client to pursue any pending download is out of scope.

Of course any new fully downloaded file to be manually inserted in the alternate client.
I hope rTorrent is capable of seeding a file it didn't download.

Thanks for your attention, interest and support.

N.B. uTorrent has an alpha for linux, not in portage though. I also don't want to fight to make it work.

Last edited by CaptainBlood on Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
bobspencer123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainBlood wrote:
Seems like:
rTorrent does like NTFS

Since some of my files are bigger than 2Gb, the only solution for me is now to convert my partition to fat32 (if it doesn't raise any issue with rTorrent).

kinda confused about what you are saying here but if you plan on using linux to torrent I would use a typical linux filesystem (i.e. ext3, ext4, xfs, reiserfs, jfs, etc....) I personally use xfs for torrents because of its capability of handling large files.

CaptainBlood wrote:
Well uTorrent doesn't impose any directory structure, it is just something of my own, for clarity mainly.
As of swiching from one boot to another expecting alternate torrent client to pursue any pending download is out of scope.

Of course any new fully downloaded file to be manually inserted in the alternate client.
I hope rTorrent is capable of seeding a file it didn't download.

N.B. uTorrent has an alpha for linux, not in portage though. I also don't want to fight to make it work.

rtorrent is capable of seeding a file it didn't download ... if you have the original torrent file then it will just rehash the file to make sure its complete and start seeding away.

p.s. if you choose to use xfs as your filesystem rtorrent causes massive fragmentation without a change in the .rtorrent.rc
Code:

system.file_allocate.set = yes

CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dear all,
Oups, my bad :oops:. I should have written
Code:
rTorrent doesn't like NTFS
instead. Also assuming
Code:
is WRONG. So Transmission should fit, besides requiring to flatten the seed file structure to a single location/directory which will impose redefinition of each file location within uTorrent.

Let me clarify my goal:I'd like the same files to be seeded whatever OS is booted on a dual boot system. Therefore a compatible shared file system area should be accessible from both OS, which exclude ext2-3-4 IMHO.

bobspencer123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just an fyi it appears rtorrent works fine with nfts as long as you use ntfs-3g and kernel >2.6.26 as found in this bug report . Though I'm certainly not trying to push rtorrent as transmission is a wonderful client but the one directory issue could be a deal breaker.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: