eth0 not found
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rr2516
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:32 am    Post subject: eth0 not found Reply with quote

After installing gentoo, in which I manually configured the kernel (first time so totally possible I did it incorrectly), I can not connect to my network on eth0.

net-setup eth0 worked while using the live cd. when I run net-setup eth0 in the the live session it tells me that the driver is r8169. Do I need to find this driver somewhere when inside menuconfig and rebuild the kernel with it or is there an easier solution?

thanks,
Rr
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In short, yes... but it's easy. Just press '/' inside menuconfig and find where the kernel option you want is...
Code:
  x Symbol: R8169 [=m]                                                              x 
  x Type  : tristate                                                                x 
  x Prompt: Realtek 8169 gigabit ethernet support                                   x 
  x   Defined at drivers/net/Kconfig:2210                                           x 
  x   Depends on: NETDEVICES [=y] && NETDEV_1000 [=y] && PCI [=y]                   x 
  x   Location:                                                                     x 
  x     -> Device Drivers                                                           x 
  x       -> Network device support (NETDEVICES [=y])                               x 
  x         -> Ethernet (1000 Mbit) (NETDEV_1000 [=y])                              x 
  x   Selects: CRC32 [=y] && MII [=m]   
Rr2516
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, sorry for what may be a dumb question, but do I need to use the livecd to do this or is there a way of doing it while regularly booted up?

also, does this need to be listed in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6?

is there a help page with instructions for recompiling the kernel?
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but do I need to use the livecd to do this or is there a way of doing it while regularly booted up?

No, if you can boot up, you can compile a new kernel.
Quote:
also, does this need to be listed in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6?

If you select r8169 as a module, yes. If you include it in the kernel, then no.
Quote:
s there a help page with instructions for recompiling the kernel?

The best thing you can do is follow the installation handbook again, but your kernel config should still be the same, so just add the new module.
There is also a kernel upgrade guide, but the handbook is still has all the steps you need for compiling a new kernel and installing it.

One thing I like to do is if I need to recompile a kernel, I keep the old one just until I check the new one, just to be safe.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Rr2516
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: