View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doublehp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: strange message in syslog when I load bookmarks in firefox Reply with quote

Same thing every day; sometimes event 2 or 3 times a day. Just after boot (or after a very long time without using firefox), when I click on the bookmark menu, the hard disk works for 2 or 3 seconds (what is very long to me: 2 or 3s to load a stupid 500k bookmark file on my powerfull machine ? quad core, raid5, 130M/s at user level - was 310M/s before mkfs + filling and fragmenting) ...

and this appears at the same time in syslog:
Code:
Feb 26 12:42:01 uranus kernel: hda-intel: IRQ timing workaround is activated for card #1. Suggest a bigger bdl_pos_adj.
Feb 26 12:42:01 uranus kernel: hda-intel: IRQ timing workaround is activated for card #2. Suggest a bigger bdl_pos_adj.
Feb 26 12:42:01 uranus kernel: hda-intel: IRQ timing workaround is activated for card #3. Suggest a bigger bdl_pos_adj.
Feb 26 12:42:01 uranus pulseaudio[26030]: module-zeroconf-publish.c: avahi_entry_group_add_service_strlst(): Local name collision

- Why is the bookmark menu so long to load ? firefox already took a few seconds to load, and browsing already works fine.
- why does it tell me about pulse ? I mean, I probably have pulse in my flags, not a problem; but why is pulse required for bookmarks, and, not for loading for example the Tools or Edit menu ...
- what's the problem about my HDAs ?

Already googled for the bdl pos thing ... did not found anything usefull.
DawgG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the thing with firefox seems purely coincidental to me.
have you seen this: https://bugs.gentoo.org/292921 ? might be related.
hda-intel is your mobo sound-chip/-codec - it's got nothing to do with harddrives.
do you really need and use pulseaudio and avahi? i never put that stuff on my boxes. you could try and stop alsa and pulseaudio and unload all related modules, see if it works better then.
also, you might try searching for the avahi-error-msg at the very bottom of you log (that way i found the bug above.)
GOOD LUCK!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: