"unresolved symbol(s) in _mmx_memcpy" HELP PLEASE
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 4:39 pm    Post subject: "unresolved symbol(s) in _mmx_memcpy" HELP PLEASE Reply with quote

Well I get that message when ever I try and load a module. Wether its in autoload or modprob'd. Any help would be GREATELY APPRECIATED. Thanks.

Last edited by FINITE on Thu Jul 18, 2002 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
echu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you recompile your kernel recently, and then this started happening? I'm not sure what the exact cause is, but sometimes, you need to do a
Code:
make mrproper
in /usr/src/linux to clean things up a bit, then do your make bzImage modules modules_install. Make sure you save your /usr/src/linux/.config to prevent having to redo all your kernel options. Also, if you use ccache, perhaps that has some strange effect on what gets built. Might wanna disable that.
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IS ccache a kernel option? If so then I do not have it enabled. As for the make mrproper possibly fixing the issue, this is a fresh install of Gentoo using 2.4.19r7. After building system and finnishing ip the install I emerged KDE/X and then configured X downloaded the nvidia driver's tried to modprobe and got this error:

Code:
/lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r7/kernel/video/NVdriver: unresolved symbol _mmx_memcpy
/lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r7/kernel/video/NVdriver:
Hint: You are trying to load a module without a GPL compatible license
      and it has unresolved symbols.  Contact the module supplier for
      assistance, only they can help you.

/lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r7/kernel/video/NVdriver: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r7/kernel/video/NVdriver failed
/lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r7/kernel/video/NVdriver: insmod NVdriver failed

I have no idea what could possibly be causing this. I have the kernel configured and compile the same way as it was before. The line "Hint: You are trying to load a module without a GPL compatible license and it has unresolved symbols." Well that shouldn't matter, the no GPL license part. The one thing that I can think of that could be the cause is the option to "Set version information on all module symbols" option that is enabled by default for the "Enable lodable module support" option. I can't think of anything else. It also does it with my NIC module. I had it compiled into the kernel proper and after having the problem with the nvidia kernel module decided to recompile with it as a module and it would not load either with this error: unresolved symbol _mmx_memcpy. Same error when I try to load NVdriver. PLEASE help. Thanks.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://lists.gentoo.org/pipermail/gentoo-dev/2002-July/013649.html
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are the freeking man! I had a feeling that might be it. With mme being in part of the error. I have a fried that used it find though, or so he said. Thanks again man!
mlybarger
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:

unfortunately this url doesn't work for me at all. are the gentoo-dev mailing list archives anywhere? couldn't really find them from the mailing list page.

if anyone could paste some info on this problem/fix would be helpfull. i'm getting all sorts of unresolved symbols trying to insert modules into the kernel (modules from the kernel source!, like radeon.o).
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark_lybarger wrote:
rac wrote:

unfortunately this url doesn't work for me at all. are the gentoo-dev mailing list archives anywhere? couldn't really find them from the mailing list page.
I think the archives have been down since the mailing lists switched from Mailman to ezmlm. As I recall, the issue here (and it was a very specific one that only had to do with _mmx_memcpy) was that the nvidia-kernel ebuild at the time did not support -march=athlon, and the solution was to drop to -march=i686 when emerging that package.
Quote:
i'm getting all sorts of unresolved symbols trying to insert modules into the kernel (modules from the kernel source!, like radeon.o).
The #1 cause of unresolved symbols is changing major configuration options in the kernel, and having stale object files that are not rebuilt. The first thing to do when you have unresolved symbols is to check that you are actually running the kernel you think you are running. Second, make mrproper (back up your config file first) and rebuild the kernel cleanly. Searching the forums for "mrproper" should give exact commands, if you need them. If you still get unresolved symbols (and not just _mmx_memcpy), probably best to start a new thread, mentioning which symbols are undefined.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: