Starting services freezes at boot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mibmatteo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:24 am    Post subject: Starting services freezes at boot Reply with quote

Hi, I'm installing Gentoo on a PC104 geode
Code:
 cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : Geode by NSC
cpu family      : 5
model           : 9
model name      : Geode(TM) Integrated Processor by National Semi
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 267.281
cache size      : 16 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu tsc msr cx8 cmov mmx cxmmx up
bogomips        : 534.56
clflush size    : 32
cache_alignment : 32
address sizes   : 32 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
power management:

I'm using kernel-2.6.36-gentoo-r5

AT boot the system hangs when it starts to load services (like setting hostname / start net.eth0 / etc ).
If I enter interactive console and just skip everything I can do login without problem and the strange thing is I can also start all the services manually without any problem.
Again, at shutdown if I turn off every services manually (/etc/init.d/net.eth0 stop ) there is no problem, but if I let the system stop the services it hangs.

this happens with both
RC_PARALLEL_STARTUP="no"
and
RC_PARALLEL_STARTUP="yes"

If during "interactive startup" I skip some service and try to load one (random) on the sequence the system hangs again

I've tryed to
-re emerge sys-apps/baselayout-1.12.14-r1
-make some different kernel
-change USE and CHOST

without success.

this is a "rc-status --all" after an interactive boot skipping all services and then manually starting some after login:
Code:
 >> rc-status --all
Runlevel: boot
 bootmisc                                                                                [ started  ]
 checkfs                                                                                 [ started  ]
 checkroot                                                                               [ started  ]
 clock                                                                                   [ started  ]
 consolefont                                                                             [ stopped  ]
 hostname                                                                                [ started  ]
 keymaps                                                                                 [ stopped  ]
 localmount                                                                              [ started  ]
 modules                                                                                 [ started  ]
 net.lo                                                                                  [ started  ]
 rmnologin                                                                               [ stopped  ]
 urandom                                                                                 [ stopped  ]
Runlevel: default
 distccd                                                                                 [ started  ]
 local                                                                                   [ stopped  ]
 net.eth0                                                                                [ started  ]
 netmount                                                                                [ stopped  ]
 sshd                                                                                    [ started  ]
 udev-postmount                                                                          [ stopped  ]
Runlevel: nonetwork
 local                                                                                   [ stopped  ]
Runlevel: single
Runlevel: UNASSIGNED
 crypto-loop                                                                             [ stopped  ]
 git-daemon                                                                              [ stopped  ]
 mdev                                                                                    [ stopped  ]
 nscd                                                                                    [ stopped  ]
 numlock                                                                                 [ stopped  ]
 pciparm                                                                                 [ stopped  ]
 pydoc-2.6                                                                               [ stopped  ]
 pydoc-3.1                                                                               [ stopped  ]
 rsyncd                                                                                  [ stopped  ]
 syslog-ng                                                                               [ stopped  ]
 udev                                                                                    [ stopped  ]
 udev-dev-tarball                                                                        [ stopped  ]
 udev-mount                                                                              [ stopped  ]

thank you for your help.

UPDATE:
if I start manually the services using a script when they are all in a row they hangs again...

I have no parallel loading nor multi-cpu allowed in bios :(

what's the drill?
melts
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the perfect description for the error I'm having.
I'm working on a server that hasn't been maintained for a while, and I've started updating everything. I've went from a 2.6.19-r5 kernel to 2.6.36-r5 kernel and now the system does the same halting action when it loads any interactive level service, with either kernel.

I had compiled a few things in system before rebooting with the new kernel, I had wanted to compile everything then reboot but the touch error on older kernels forced me to do a restart sooner than I planned

I'm hoping the error goes away once I get the entire system updated, but if anyone can shed some light on what processes happen at boot up that would 'halt' a system when the same service works fine interactively, that'd be swell

my thoughts on the issue are something if throwing an error code and the bootup sequence gets upset about, but is ignored when you run the services manually, this line of thought comes from the touch and old kernels issue i had, where touch works fine manually but scripts pick up the error code it throws about a preferred kernel routine being unavailable and kills scripts. Maybe its similar with this, but I'd expect error handling not to halt the boot process. the init/boot sequence is pretty transparent to me so I'm not sure how to debug it.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
grep -i sysfs /usr/src/linux/.config
if CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED=y or CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED=m is returned edit kernel menuconfig to
Quote:
General setup --->
[ ] enable deprecated sysfs features to support old userspace tools
recompile and recopy the kernel to get rid of it.
melts
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the problem for me at least;
Code:
ns linux # grep -i sysfs .config
# CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2 is not set
CONFIG_ACPI_SYSFS_POWER=y
CONFIG_RTC_INTF_SYSFS=y
CONFIG_SYSFS=y

is there package changes that would make the old kernel also fail like the new one?
melts
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the system I've been working on is now working a charm. after completing a emerge -uDva --newuse @world and revdep-rebuilds it's happy.

I assume it was an issue due to an incomplete migration, as booting and manually running services got me up and running but while testing smb the service stopped responding the start/stop/restart requests, and started working with them after running rc, which returned me to the interactive startup prompt.
gandalf666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

melts wrote:
the system I've been working on is now working a charm. after completing a emerge -uDva --newuse @world and revdep-rebuilds it's happy.

I assume it was an issue due to an incomplete migration, as booting and manually running services got me up and running but while testing smb the service stopped responding the start/stop/restart requests, and started working with them after running rc, which returned me to the interactive startup prompt.

I have the exact same problem on 2 servers of mine. Unfortunately an emerge -uDva --newuse @world did not help. Anyone got any other ideas?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: