View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
virtguru
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: compiz crashing and strange behavior gnome 2.32.1 Reply with quote

Hi ,

I am having some erratic problems with compiz after recently updating. The WM & Decorator (emerald) will suddenly completely crash & disappear. If I ctrl+alt+backspace and re-login then my icon themes are gone although the WM & emerald are working, a complete reboot remedies until after awhile (few hours maybe, then it repeats). Xorg.0.log doesnt really add any insight although I did notice when updating that hal has snuck back in ? I had before explicitly removed that following the sticky here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-858965.html . I am also using Twinview so I do not know if this might be a nvidia related issue. I have the newest nvidia drivers and also have tried the binary from their website but that hasn't helped either. The only the I have found is in my ~/.xsession-errors (I removed all the irrelevant screenlet errors), just really annoying , but also really cannot figure out the why . Any help is appreciated ;)

Code:
Initializing nautilus-gdu extension

(gnome-panel:7978): Gdk-WARNING **: gdkdrawable-x11.c:952 drawable is not a pixmap or window
/usr/bin/compiz (cube) - Warn: Failed to load slide: freedesktop

(nautilus:7988): nautilus-extension-gnome-mount-WARNING **: Failed to initialize libhal context: (null) : (null)

(nautilus:7988): nautilus-extension-gnome-mount-WARNING **: Could not initialize hal context

Initializing nautilus-gdu extension

(gnome-panel:7978): Gdk-WARNING **: gdkdrawable-x11.c:952 drawable is not a pixmap or window
/usr/bin/compiz (cube) - Warn: Failed to load slide: freedesktop
/usr/bin/compiz (splash) - Warn: Could not load splash background image "splash_background.png" !
/usr/bin/compiz (splash) - Warn: Could not load splash logo image "splash_logo.png" !
/usr/bin/compiz-manager: line 383:  8173 Terminated              ${COMPIZ_BIN_PATH}emerald --replace
(nautilus:7988): Nautilus-GDU-WARNING **: unable to query info: The specified location is not supported

OK
OK

(nautilus:7988): Nautilus-GDU-WARNING **: unable to query info: The specified location is not supported
(yelp:17882): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_tool_button_new: assertion `icon_widget == NULL || GTK_IS_MISC (icon_widget)' failed

(yelp:17882): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(yelp:17882): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(yelp:17882): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_toolbar_insert: assertion `GTK_IS_TOOL_ITEM (item)' failed

(yelp:17882): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_tool_button_new: assertion `icon_widget == NULL || GTK_IS_MISC (icon_widget)' failed

(yelp:17882): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(yelp:17882): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(yelp:17882): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_toolbar_insert: assertion `GTK_IS_TOOL_ITEM (item)' failed
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that a full reboot is needed seems to suggest it might be a driver issue (state is getting messed up in the hardware or nvidia kernel module and a reboot clears it).

But, first make note of running processes after a fresh reboot without starting X - and then compare it to running processes after it messes up and you ctrl+alt+backspace and drop back to a plain text console. Make sure to shut down anything left over running that wasn't there when you first booted. This helps to narrow down what the reboot is doing to make things work better.

Another thing to try is rmmod nvidia && modprobe nvidia to see if reloading the kernel module helps any. If that does help, then it's definitely a nvidia bug (but may be triggered by unusual or bad programming in the applications).

Good luck!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: