Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
KDE3 fan thread: There are advantages.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesnow wrote:
Not to be rude or anything, but why don't you guys post in a thread about KDE4? This one is trying to be about KDE3, unpopular as that may be.

Indeed. You can browse the thousands of bugs in their bugzilla if you wanna see the issue.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a problem when KDE-3 starts crashing, which is something it does a lot of under xorg-server-1.8 or greater. I experienced locks both hard and soft, and complete desktop death to the CLI. Xorg-server-1.9.x was just WAY too skittish with KDE-3.

As I have said before, I use this machine for making seeds, and other important work. For that reason, this machine has to be rock solid and very stable. Mixing KDE-3, which needs the hal USE flag, with xorg-server versions that don't is a recipe for everything I don't want happening with this system. I have done the research on this issue, of that you can be sure.

Cheers,
Pappy
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dE_logics wrote:
Change to the netbook form factor and try switching back.
Do you mean the Design "Air for Netbooks"? (If not, what is meant?)

I just changed from "Tragedy" to "Air for netbooks", then to "Air" and back to "Tragedy" again. no problems so far. What am I expected to witness? I guess I do it wrong.
dE_logics wrote:
Make 4 new activities and then remove all of them (i.e. restore your original activity).
Is it neccessary to make _4_ activities? I once created one to test the feature and removed it again. But if it have to be four, it is no wonder nothing spectacular happened... :-(

Okay, I created four and deleted them again. What am I expected to see?
dE_logics wrote:
If you use xine, run dolphin as root for a while and see the CPU usage of knotify4 go to 100%.
Okay, I switched from GStreamer to Xine and started dolphin via "kdesu dolphin". It is shown and I'll edit my post if something odd happens.
dE_logics wrote:
Try setting hotkeys for your apps in kmenuedit.
Okay, I set "System->Terminal (Konsole)" to Win+Alt+K. ... Nope, doesn't work.

Okay, so Dolphin doesn't seem to be running long enough as root, yet. And I bet I misunderstood the "netbook form factor" thing. The menu hotkeys do not work.

jesnow wrote:
Not to be rude or anything, but why don't you guys post in a thread about KDE4? This one is trying to be about KDE3, unpopular as that may be.
Well, you started the thread with a list that looks like you wanted to tell the world why KDE3 is better than KDE4. "ComaWhite" answered with an own list negating yours. Then "some" users started wild KDE-4 bashing and I had the impertinence to ask for examples. Finally I got examples from dE_logics and am quite happy now.

But as HAL is dead as well as qt3, I do not think it will be easy (in a few years!) to maintain a whatever current system with KDE 3 on it. :-(

Edit 1: Bugs that are in bugs.kde.org that are NEW, VERIFIED, ASSIGNED or REOPENED with any Severity but "wishlist" : 8,934 - Quite heavy, eh?

Edit 2: I have run dolphin as root for half an hour now. Nothing odd is happening with knotify4. Are 30 minutes enough? I guess not.
jesnow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Yamakuzure"]
dE_logics wrote:

jesnow wrote:
Well, you started the thread with a list that looks like you wanted to tell the world why KDE3 is better than KDE4. "ComaWhite" answered with an own list negating yours. Then "some" users started wild KDE-4 bashing and I had the impertinence to ask for examples. Finally I got examples from dE_logics and am quite happy now.

But as HAL is dead as well as qt3, I do not think it will be easy (in a few years!) to maintain a whatever current system with KDE 3 on it. :-(

OK, maybe it's my fault that you want to post off-topic on this thread, the only one AFAIK on all of forums.gentoo.org that's about KDE3 issues, and you took it as a troll against KDE4. I'm glad you're happy now, that's the important part.

Cheers,

Jon.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"But as HAL is dead as well as qt3, I do not think it will be easy (in a few years!) to maintain a whatever current system with KDE 3 on it. "

Which shows what you don't know. It's ALREADY hard to keep KDE-3 maintained. However, because the world DOESN'T revolve around KDE-4, it is well worth the effort.

A long time ago, I read something in one of the Gentoo Documents that told me that I could make Gentoo into whatever kind of distribution *I* wanted. That's what I did. Since I own my computers, and YOU don't, why on Earth should I care about your opinion of KDE-3, or the price of tea in China?

I'm glad you like KDE-4. I do not, and I will not. Since all you seem to want to do is troll about this topic, barring you saying something incredibly stupid, this is the last time I respond to you. If you want to debate stupidity, I suggest you go to Facebook, or the Off The Wall section of the forum. If you love KDE-4, open your own thread filled with overflowing praise, and leave us users of the obsolete in peace, M'kay?

Cheers...barely,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also request that a moderator monitor this thread, and if Yamakuzure can't play nicely with folks in this thread, that he be kept from it. Thanks

Cheers,
Pappy
jesnow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still using KDE 3. Is it perversity? I just got a Core i7 1.8 Mac at work, and it feels really slow compared to KDE3. I just *hate* waiting around for animations to play when I'm opening and closing things.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae wrote:
I would also request that a moderator monitor this thread, and if Yamakuzure can't play nicely with folks in this thread, that he be kept from it. Thanks

Cheers,
Pappy
Maybe it would be worth to re-read what insulting stuff you posted. I've always played nice going "I do accept your opinion" but "Want to understand your experience". For some wild reason _you_ took this as an excuse to write really nasty stuff.

Just to get this straight:

1. pappy_mcfae wrote a list of seven things unliked/broken with KDE-4
  2. I asked for examples to be able to understand the people constantly telling me my computer is broken.
  3. You answered: "If you don't like my opinion, say so. Do not call me a liar as to what I observed with my machines. That is really bad form, and it makes you look like a fool."
    - Erm... what kind of attitude is this in your eyes? "Play nicely" is something completely different in my eyes.
  4. Then I have defended myself against those accusations of yours and went on: "You might have problems I can't have because of different hardware settings. So please cool down." and "I do not need proof I fully believe you (and all others) without."
    - If this was insulting for you, I apologize. Maybe I should've use different words then.
    - But honestly, you brought in a bug that a) had nothing to do with KDE 4 but the gentoo build system, and b) was fixable for over a month then. This was why I...
  5. ... asked again for concrete examples to try out.
  6. Your answer: "You have your opinion, I have mine. I'm not going to waste more time arguing about it."
    - _You_ argued. I said (again and again) that not using it is completely fine with me, as long as others accept that I like and use it.
  7. ComaWhite wrote: "Maybe people are just scared of changes." which provoked you into retaliating: "But thanks for the free psychoanalysis. I always appreciate that. "
    - Why do you always reckon people are trying to troll you?
  8. ComaWhite then, too, dared to ask for examples, and I won't cite your answer, it is far below anything. Please reread yourself (page two, first post)
  9. Later I have written a longer answer, trying to be as polite as possible, closing with: "You see KDE 3 more fit for your needs? Ok, I perfectly accept that. I see KDE 4 more fit for my needs, and I expect you to accept that as well."
    - Could you please explain what is evil/bad/insulting with this for you?
  10. Your next post: "Wow. It is wonderful that with all the people who are saying pretty much the same thing as I are ignored as everyone here wants to prove to me how wrong I am. I must be incredibly important. Thanks for the boost to my ego. "
    - Sorry, how silly is that? Nobody ever tried to prove to you that you were or are wrong. We tried to get simple examples, and you started shooting at everybody not out of sight quickly enough. Or what on earth does make you believe a sentence like: "You see KDE 3 more fit for your needs? Ok, I perfectly accept that." is meant to prove your are _wrong_ ?
  11. Then dE_logics, as the first one, eventually provided some examples I asked for. (Thanks again!)
  12. I tried those out, but couldn't make any but one of those problems/bugs show up. Different hardware? Settings? Already fixed? I do not know and it is of no importance. If those examples posted are present on your setup, I do believe you and can understand why you reckon KDE-4 being utterly broken for you. But please, please accept that I have the right to state that it is not broken for me and believe me when I say that those problems do not exist on my setup.
  13. Then jesnow accused me of "took it (his starting list) as a troll against KDE4".
    Why? Again: I just asked for examples. Nothing more, nothing less. And the rest I had to defend myself against accusations and insults.
  14. But that was rather hard for you to accept, pappy, right? Why, though, I ask. But tell me what made you write "Since all you seem to want to do is troll about this topic" in the first place?
Finally:
jesnow wrote:
I'm still using KDE 3. Is it perversity?
Absolutely not. If you are happy with it, use it. And I'll keep my fingers crossed that you can have your machine up in the state and with the system on it you like as long as possible.
pappy_mcfae wrote:
Now, for the first time, I will shoot back for that: Who the hell do you think you are? Raving like you did and then coming up with such a demand? kthxbye
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae wrote:

Cheers,
Pappy

I read all of Yamakuzure's posts in this thread, they're perfectly fine with regard to the forum guidelines.

Skimming some of your posts though made me raise an eyebrow, like the one where you say
pappy_mcfae wrote:
I give an opinion, and all of a sudden, I have two amateur Freuds trying to make assumptions and inferences on my life, reality, and humanity
(highlighting by me).

Everyone please calm down.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is old news. It also doesn't much matter, as annoyances and new packages that bring new and exciting breakage have forced me to give up KDE-3.5. So now, if the topic is to be changed to praising KDE-4, as some posts would lead others to believe, then I'll no longer stop that. I really don't care anymore. What's in a topic's name anyway?

Cheers,
Pappy
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@pappy,
I got sick of kde4 so I looked for a way to return to kde3.5.
Tried to install but ran into big problems.
Then I stumbled upon razorqt.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-912722-highlight-.html
Maybe a solution for you.
Regards,
Gerard.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a backup of the machine with kde-3.5 if I ever decide to go back, or if I want to expand outward when Trinity FINALLY makes it to portage in some form or fashion. I'm cool as far as that goes.

Cheers,
Pappy
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trinity will never make it into portage as long as it depends on Qt3. And the move to Qt4, at first planned, was dropped again from the Trinity agenda, making it dependent on five years old uncared-for code.
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
Trinity will never make it into portage as long as it depends on Qt3. And the move to Qt4, at first planned, was dropped again from the Trinity agenda, making it dependent on five years old uncared-for code.

That's a shame... If it does not move to Qt4 that will hurt adoption and won't attract many potential contributors :(
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the moderator thinks off-topic posting is okay, then I guess that not only myself, but the original poster of this thread should be ashamed for trying to steer the conversation back to the TOPIC of the thread, which, for those who can't remember is: KDE3 fan thread: There are advantages.

If you behave like a troll by continuously changing the topic, then you are a troll. I have no better way to put it. If you don't like people thinking you're a troll, perhaps you ought to not behave as one.

Finally, not that I owe you an explanation, but...

I am Pappy McFae. I am the proprietor of Pappy's Kernel Seeds. That is a site I designed, setup, and maintain on a daily basis. I am known to pretty much everyone here on the Gentoo forums for that site. The Kernel Seeds site is mentioned in installation documentation on Funtoo. I am covered in the book, Linux Sea. My seeds are used not only by Gentoo users, but also Debian, Slackware, Ubuntu, Arch, and numerous other distros, up to and including Ubuntu and it's derivatives. I am known in every corner of the globe, and my site is regularly visited from the same. The site averages many thousand hits per month. I have personally setup the .config files for over two hundred and fifty users; many are regular repeat users who trust me to set up their kernels properly.

I am listed as a watchman at this site, which means I have posted over five thousand messages. Most of those posts were about the kernel, or using my seeds, or some other form of assistance to untold users. I have proved myself to many here whose opinion matters a lot more than yours, a l33t that seems to do more trolling than just about anything else.

I have three full threads that are now closed that were discussions about kernel seeds, kernel settings, and other kernel-related issues. I am the go-to guy when someone in the community notices something about the kernel, from setting issues, to symbols that are troublesome for one reason or another. The fourth thread maintains a decent discussion of recent kernel changes, as well as heads-ups from other users or myself concerning those changes.

That's who I am.

Who the hell are you? Some troll who can't find another thread in which to post your off-topic KDE-4 noise. That's who you are.

So I'll waste no more words on you. I'll even stop following this thread, since I can no longer post on-topic. Those who wish to gain my insights into keeping KDE-3.5 going in the face of the continuous updates coming through portage may still get in touch with me through the private message system here. But, since I have somehow become persona non grata for trying to keep this thread on topic, I will no longer post in this thread.

There you go, Yamakuzure! It's all yours, now! Post as off-topic and trollishly as you wish. You are not worth my time, or the trouble you seem to love to cause.

Cheers,
Pappy
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread gone bad, let's close it.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: