Sound enhancer for Mp3s for Linux ??
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
midnightrambler
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Sound enhancer for Mp3s for Linux ?? Reply with quote

I use the DFX plugins with Winamp for Windows (it's an enhanced equalizer actually):

http://www.fxsound.com/

and i'd like to know if there is something comparable for Linux, e.g. as an Addon for XMMS or MPlayer?

Thanks in advance,
Alex :)
NuclearFusi0n
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sound enhancer? if you don't like how your MP3s sound, get better ones.
midnightrambler
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try DFX, no conventional mp3, not even LAME 320kbps mp3s, sound that good without DFX

have you tried DFX?
superjaded
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. DFX does what any decent lossy codec should never do -- "produce" sound that wasn't there in the first place.

That being said, have you checked out the "Sound Enhancing Plugins" page on XMMS's website yet? That looks like the closest thing you're going to find to DFX, although I can't comment on any of their quality as I haven't tried them out personally.
ObiPerrin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

libcrystiality - an XMMS plugin that cleans up scratches in mp3s and gives a bit more stereo.
midnightrambler
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superjaded wrote:
Indeed. DFX does what any decent lossy codec should never do -- "produce" sound that wasn't there in the first place.

That being said, have you checked out the "Sound Enhancing Plugins" page on XMMS's website yet? That looks like the closest thing you're going to find to DFX, although I can't comment on any of their quality as I haven't tried them out personally.

well ok, but i just like to hear what dfx does, no matter if it is principally wrong what it does :) thanks i'll check the page out :)
pantherace
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: Some more... Reply with quote

http://www.xmms.org/plugins.php?category=effect
This one looks like what you want :
Crystality 0.92 / Rafal Bosak ( gyver at fanthom.irc.pl )
midnightrambler
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Some more... Reply with quote

pantherace wrote:

hmm, that sounds quite promising...THANKS!
prophetx2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Some more... Reply with quote

midnightrambler wrote:
pantherace wrote:

so did you try it? Any reviews?
midnightrambler
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Some more... Reply with quote

prophetx2 wrote:
midnightrambler wrote:
pantherace wrote:

so did you try it? Any reviews?

no i did not try it yet, maybe i'll do that later ^^
midnightrambler
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just tried the crystality plugin but i hear only a very slight difference as far as sound is concerned, it's not really worth the download... i'll try other plugins and see if i find what i want :)
midnightrambler
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superjaded wrote:

hmm seems like there are only demo versions on that page....
TenPin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best sound enhancer "plugin" I ever found was an Audigy and a new amp and speakers :wink:

(These fake sound enhancements just end up spoiling how the sound was meant to be heard but I guess it can improve things if your speakers cost £10)
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, if I understand correctly this DFX thingy is simply an "armoniser" adding armonics to an mp3 that due to its lossy compression "flattens" the sound.
I never used such a "tool" though, thus I don't know if there is a linux counterpart (either as an xmms plugin or as an independent app you could hook up on the streamline with a sound server like arts or -better- jack).

I _will_ join my voice against this kind of alteration and stress the point that the more fx you add, the poorer and more distorted your sound gets: for most of the stuff I listen to, I actually use "source direct" even on my final amp (that is HARDWARE). Fx are great if you plan to "recycle" a sound for music-making purposes, but when plain playback is involved I am a purist.

In any case, the kind of sound you are seaking could be obtained by the cooperation of the following:
- a stereo-expander (as that lib you already tried)
- a minimum of reverb with a "warm" setup
- just a hinch of chorus
jaska
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree with TenPin. The sound card + speakers really make a difference. I suppose you could say I have a decent card, sb live! which sounds nice, but I have had to use different speakers to find best sound. So far best results were with a 4.1 logitech speakers + alsa as the driver.
midnightrambler
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the thing about DFX i like the most is the amount of BASS that it adds to the music and that's just way cool! to me the music sound ALOT better with DFX... i just don't have the money to by a high-end hifisystem or some top-of-the-notch speakers. btw DFX is just a special kind of equalizer... music is just supposed to entertain people, and DFX does that for me, unfortunately it is not available for linux :(

greetz
Alex
paranerd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TenPin wrote:
The best sound enhancer "plugin" I ever found was an Audigy and a new amp and speakers :wink:

I'm resurrecting an old string for two reasons.

First, can I ask an ignorant question? I got FUDed away from audigy because I thought someone in the press said it was DRMed. Is that true?
paranerd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Poor man's solution Reply with quote

Second:

I implemented a poor man's solution to this problem. I don't have much money to spend and I had the same want as the original poster. I also have another problem; my computer speakers don't have an headphone-out jack.

My solution to both of these problems was to grab an old unused receiver, run the speaker-out into the back of the receiver, run the speakers into the receiver's headphone jack and voila!

It's not hifi but it's lowbuck :)
eean
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying that the old reciever works like DFX?

Arts has several audio modifiers, but you have to work with them. I quite like the equalizer for Arts since you can create and destroy points on a line-graph, more powerful and easier to use then the normal row of sliders. Go to http://amarok.sf.net and download the newest amarok, they have ebuilds on their sourceforge site.

As far as a low-buck solution to lack of headphones, my solution is to get a Y-adapter from radio shack. It was also handy when I was using my computer to DJ, I was able to plug two normal 3-piece computer speakers into the computer and it produced enough volume to fill a smallish gym.

I can notice a slight difference in sound from the speakers between when I have headphones plugged in and when I'm not, but I think its just volume.

As far as DRM and audigy, I've never heard of anything. It wouldn't surprise me if audigy has some hook for DRM technology to use if it wants... but if its only on audigy then it wouldn't be very useful. And it would only be for DRMed media regardless. I have SB Live!, so I dunno really.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: