Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ghutzl

Glad you got there in the end man!

@costel78

Have you seen this?
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-874293-highlight-.html
It might help.
Looks like Gnome 3 prefers alsa just now. I have had same problem with pulse.
monsm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghutzl wrote:
Hi!

I was able to install gnome 3 now. I was forced to upgrade to firefox 4 too because a new version of xulrunner was needed. I wanted to stick to firefox 3.6 for a while to let it become more stable but now I will see how it works out.

I am quite impressed by the new gnome 3. Looks like I will switch to it sooner or later. Although I was a kde4 fan. Sometimes the gnome shell freezes and I have to reboot. But I think this is quite smiilar to how kde4 was in the beginning. It will become more stable in the future. I am looking forward to what the future brings us.

Thanks to Thistled who encouraged me to try the installation again!

I have finally got Gnome 3 installed too. Big battle here. I have until now managed to ignore consolekit and policykit an all that. And I guess I was stubborn enough to insist on new gdm 3. I tried all the advice I could find to make it work off my old installation, but I guess it was too many stale configurations in the way. In the end I gave up the upgrade and "nuked" my system. Everything worked straight off with a fresh install. So now all is new: kernel 36-r8, xorg-server 1.9.x and Gnome 3 (even with login via the new gdm) :D

I decided to install both the 11 series of Chromium and Firefox 4. I know Chromium is very stable from before and so far Firefox 4 seems good too.

Very impressed with the new Gnome-shell. I think its an innovative new bit of software.

Mons
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: