View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tallgirl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Long-Term Stability == Gentoo Is Broken Reply with quote

This is now the third time I'm having to rebuilt a server that I'd managed to get stable and leave alone for a while.

When I went to update some packages I found that many of the installed packages had been subjected to a "Courtesy Mask" because they were "too old". I'm pretty much wedged at this point because I can't upgrade to anything that is current enough in a single go.

Is there any expectation that this sort of behavior is going to stop? I've been using Gentoo since forever and once or twice a year I wind up with a system that gets into this state -- I get it where it works perfectly, no bugs, no nothing. And it even stays up and running for MONTHS on end. The currently broken server has 268 days of uptime on it, and I need to keep servers up for as much time in a row as possible.

This problem has become so severe that I've not installed Gentoo on a new server in over a year now. I no longer use Gentoo for my company's embedded products. But until I can migrate the last of my servers off Gentoo, could y'all please stop being a bunch of Net Nannies and trying to force people who are running production to update their entire system every other week or so?
GES
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I daily update my hosted gentoo server and workstation.
There are no such problems with them.
This is a rolling release distribution not a debian that enough to be updated annually.
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little harsh for a first post, don't you think?

If you're running this for production, ie. making profit with it, why not pay for one of the devs to look over your servers? Or get a SUSE/Redhat-contract?

Or maybe keep a clone of the production system and try updates first on that one, as one should? For me, servers are running fine, but maybe that's just me...
aCOSwt
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Long-Term Stability == Gentoo Is Broken Reply with quote

tallgirl wrote:
But until I can migrate the last of my servers off Gentoo, could y'all please stop being a bunch of Net Nannies and trying to force people who are running production to update their entire system every other week or so?

:? 8O :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey... By Jove ! You missed something somewhere !
What you are blablahing about is moral and policy !
Moral and policy are yours, entirely yours and uniquely yours !
Gentoo provides tools. Not policy !
Gentooers on this forum provide help on the tools !

Not help with your own policies ! :P

I am afraid you knocked at the wrong door ! :twisted:

EDIT 1 : Well... I could have written "bad luck !" as well !
EDIT 2 : "So long Pal" could work either but I feel this a bit too friendly

Last edited by aCOSwt on Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
tallgirl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 18 years of experience with Linux, which puts me up there with everyone else who's used Linux since Linux was distributed on floppies. I picked Gentoo years ago because those other distros are giant bloated piles of crud.

There's no reason for "Courtesy masks", which is what broke me this time. I'm not going to upgrade X -- the thing that seems to be in the way -- until I take the server down. The server is on a UPS, so it isn't going down any time soon. There's also no need for someone with 30 years of UNIX kernel experience to "hire a dev", unless the goal is to force people into hiring developers or buying service contracts. I fix my own kernels, thank-you.

As for updating your "server" every day, I run production 24/7. That means I can't afford to have some package come out with an "Oops!" and then emerge for the next few hours or waste time chasing every single last update every single day.

Just tell people to quit adding "courtesy masks". I'm not a pimple-faced teenager or college geek who needs to have her hand held.
aCOSwt
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgirl wrote:
I have 18 years of experience with Linux

8O
Well, you should have chosen "oldgirl" for your pseudo then ! :twisted:

EDIT 1 : In my youth, I was enjoying Giles' cartoons a lot !
Not being native english, I had of course great difficulties to understand them.
I still remember one I had not understood :
Giles' famous grand'ma being told that she was an "overpaid old crow"
I still do not exactly understand and would be grateful to anyone who could tell me if this formula could apply here.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Long-Term Stability == Gentoo Is Broken Reply with quote

tallgirl wrote:
Is there any expectation that this sort of behavior is going to stop? I've been using Gentoo since forever and once or twice a year I wind up with a system that gets into this state -- I get it where it works perfectly, no bugs, no nothing. And it even stays up and running for MONTHS on end. The currently broken server has 268 days of uptime on it, and I need to keep servers up for as much time in a row as possible.

This problem has become so severe that I've not installed Gentoo on a new server in over a year now. I no longer use Gentoo for my company's embedded products. But until I can migrate the last of my servers off Gentoo, could y'all please stop being a bunch of Net Nannies and trying to force people who are running production to update their entire system every other week or so?
As far as I know, this "problem" has always been "severe". Like it or not, Gentoo is a rolling distribution, and may not be right for you. It can be used successfully in production, though. The most successful production environments I've heard of have an off-line "master" server on which all updates are performed. Only after they are proven are they distributed to production servers, whether as whole machine snapshots or as binary packages.

That having been said, if you have a specific issue, there are loads of people here that'll jump in & help. :)

- John

Last edited by John R. Graham on Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
SlashBeast
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@aCOSwt I found you annoying like frack, behave yourself and maybe limit your posts to something worth writting, about topic.

@tallgirl: Gentoo need much more love on production, there is no releases of it with frozen packages like ubuntu or redhat tho.

As I use gentoo on production I have some things deployed to make it painless.

- Before upgrade any package, my portage's bashrc is doing binary package including all config files.
- I have binhosts to build packages.
- I also have ccache, when i really have to compile something.
- Daily incramental backup, lvm snapshot where it is possible
- I never upgrade system withour reviewing what is to update, you never know what just Vapier pushed broken to tree and was rsynced to mirrors before he fixed it in gentoo's cvs. True story.

Last edited by SlashBeast on Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Simba7
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, everyone chill. I've been running Gentoo solid for a few years now. Sure, you need an update now and then (updates, fixed exploits, etc), but it's sure as hell better than a bloated pile of crap. Gentoo is the *ONLY* reason I moved to Linux from FreeBSD.

tallgirl wrote:
I have 18 years of experience with Linux, which puts me up there with everyone else who's used Linux since Linux was distributed on floppies. I picked Gentoo years ago because those other distros are giant bloated piles of crud.

There's no reason for "Courtesy masks", which is what broke me this time. I'm not going to upgrade X -- the thing that seems to be in the way -- until I take the server down. The server is on a UPS, so it isn't going down any time soon. There's also no need for someone with 30 years of UNIX kernel experience to "hire a dev", unless the goal is to force people into hiring developers or buying service contracts. I fix my own kernels, thank-you.

As for updating your "server" every day, I run production 24/7. That means I can't afford to have some package come out with an "Oops!" and then emerge for the next few hours or waste time chasing every single last update every single day.

Just tell people to quit adding "courtesy masks". I'm not a pimple-faced teenager or college geek who needs to have her hand held.

Do you have an "update" schedule set every month? It's simple as picking an update date or time-frame, sending out a mass e-mail that the servers will be unavailable from x-x on xx-xx-xxxx and doing a massive system update.

If it takes days or weeks to update a recent system, you've *GOT* to be doing something wrong. I can do a Stage1 compile on a DP/DC Xeon 5160 (only a few years old) and it takes a few hours to a day.. depending on what I compile with it.

..and if you choose to shift distros, fetch a copy of CentOS or Ubuntu Server. I think CentOS is still stuck on kernel 2.6.18 (wth?) and Ubuntu 11.04 has 2.6.38. I've used Ubuntu before and it's nice, but a little too bloated for a server.
tallgirl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue was really simple and I stated it from the outset -- I keep seeing these "Courtesy Masks". They aren't a "courtesy". If someone has major control issues and they need to break people's systems, tell them to go work for Microsoft.

And no, the servers DO NOT GO DOWN. There is no "monthly maintenance schedule" that allows them to be shut down.

And yes, I have a VM for making sure whatever I decide has to be upgraded can be made to work.

I think y'all live in a different world than commercial production. My rackspace provider has not had a second of power or network down time in more than 2 years. The server in question has had 15 minutes of unscheduled downtime in 268 days. That's 99.995% uptime, which is okay by me. Tomorrow it will be 15 minutes in 269 days. Half and hour or an hour of "scheduled server downtime" a month is 99.9% uptime, which sucks.

I have managed to make the upgrade I needed to make -- I unmasked a boat load of "courtesy masks". I'm also building an Ubuntu server (LTS) that will replace the Gentoo system whenever I get a chance, which could still be months away.

Gentoo is much better than dealing with Red Hat, which is what I used from the early 90's until switching to Gentoo, but y'all have to figure out how to keep people from breaking stuff for no good reason.
Raptor85
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My servers are updated every 6 months or whenever there's a critical update that applies to me, so long as you watch what you're updating, and of course always build and test in the test environment first, it's fine. The masks are easy enough to remove, and it's easy enough to cache ebuilds and distfiles locally (you should be doing this anyways on a server environment). Binhost is definitely the way to go for production servers. Other than the bandwidth bill i forgot to pay a few months back resulting in a temporarily downed server (whoops) most of my machines have > 400 days uptime. (well, had, i just did kernel updates across all my computers, except my netbook, still can't get a 2.6 kernel small enough to fit in the 1 meg SOC :/ )
tallgirl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simba7 wrote:
If it takes days or weeks to update a recent system, you've *GOT* to be doing something wrong. I can do a Stage1 compile on a DP/DC Xeon 5160 (only a few years old) and it takes a few hours to a day.. depending on what I compile with it.

The problem is the masks that get added -- without doing a stage 1 compile there's no way to move forward because something critical has a "courtesy mask" that often includes some "hey, that's old!" note, and I'm not going to take the machine down for a day to do one. Instead, I spend days figuring out which dependencies need unmasking, then going through and very carefully upgrading exactly what needs to be upgraded to get around the nanny state.

Simba7 wrote:
..and if you choose to shift distros, fetch a copy of CentOS or Ubuntu Server. I think CentOS is still stuck on kernel 2.6.18 (wth?) and Ubuntu 11.04 has 2.6.38. I've used Ubuntu before and it's nice, but a little too bloated for a server.

I've been moving my business to Ubuntu 10 LTS, which seems to hold up very well. My most recent server got itself into some weird state 2 months back that required a reboot, but that's been the only problem with it since last Fall.

I'm working on a shared virtual server deal with my rackspace provider that will be based on CentOS -- I'm going to provide the gear and they are going to sell the shared virtual servers. CentOS is much less bloated, but not as nice as Gentoo, in terms of performance and only getting the features you need and compiled for the CPU you have.

And while it's fun to knock distros that stay on old kernels, don't knock "stable". The Devil you know is better than the one you don't.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long-term ignorance of how a distro works is not long-term stability. If you're installing Gentoo in production then letting it go 290 days without even so much as a glsa-check — security updates — and then coming here and whining that we don't have a magic update fairy for people living under a rock, then sorry but in all honesty you shouldn't be administrating Linux systems.
tallgirl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raptor85 wrote:
My servers are updated every 6 months or whenever there's a critical update that applies to me, so long as you watch what you're updating, and of course always build and test in the test environment first, it's fine. The masks are easy enough to remove, and it's easy enough to cache ebuilds and distfiles locally (you should be doing this anyways on a server environment). Binhost is definitely the way to go for production servers. Other than the bandwidth bill i forgot to pay a few months back resulting in a temporarily downed server (whoops) most of my machines have > 400 days uptime. (well, had, i just did kernel updates across all my computers, except my netbook, still can't get a 2.6 kernel small enough to fit in the 1 meg SOC :/ )

I was caching ebuilds when I was selling embedded boxes based on Gentoo. Then I gave up and started using Voyage, which is a real embedded distro based on Debian.

The server I was wrangling today had been up somewhere between 365 and 400 days before it's recent outage (the one 9 months ago). 385 days comes to mind -- more than a year, but not 400. At some point all this gets moved into something VM based so I can fail over from one server to another and not miss a beat.
Simba7
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgirl wrote:
And no, the servers DO NOT GO DOWN. There is no "monthly maintenance schedule" that allows them to be shut down.

Then whoever you work for is a complete moron. Every business has a monthly maintenance schedule. If you don't, equipment starts breaking down and then you're really in a sh*tload of trouble.

tallgirl wrote:
I think y'all live in a different world than commercial production. My rackspace provider has not had a second of power or network down time in more than 2 years. The server in question has had 15 minutes of unscheduled downtime in 268 days. That's 99.995% uptime, which is okay by me. Tomorrow it will be 15 minutes in 269 days. Half and hour or an hour of "scheduled server downtime" a month is 99.9% uptime, which sucks.

That's because they have several redundant servers. That way you can take one down, but the entire network doesn't go down and you can still function. If you need to do maintenance on one (clean it out once in awhile), you can instead of telling your boss that the network needs to be taken down (which I doubt he/she'll be happy).

Same thing goes with Routers, Switches, WAN Connections, Hard Drives, NICs, etc. Redundancy is a very good thing.

tallgirl wrote:
Gentoo is much better than dealing with Red Hat, which is what I used from the early 90's until switching to Gentoo, but y'all have to figure out how to keep people from breaking stuff for no good reason.

Why are you tampering with it then? Leave it alone until it *NEEDS* to be upgraded. How long have you been in IT?
gentoo-dev
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simba7 wrote:
Why are you tampering with it then? Leave it alone until it *NEEDS* to be upgraded. How long have you been in IT?
The problem is when you reach that point, your Gentoo system is not upgradeable anymore because it's a rolling distro, you have to maintain it, blah blah... We hear the same rhetoric every time anyone tries to update a gentoo system too late.
If you update regularly, you run the risk of having to fix more issues on every update, and you're told after you've already emerged some package that needs some other fix, rewrite of some configs or what not...
Bottom line: I gave up on Gentoo, period.
phajdan.jr
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgirl wrote:

Okay, just let's fix the technical problem and not get into "you don't know who I am" type of argument.

tallgirl wrote:
There's no reason for "Courtesy masks", which is what broke me this time.

You keep using the term "courtesy mask", but what does it mean? I'm very confused by it, and indeed masks can be frustrating (and portage doesn't always print clear error messages and so on). Could you post an example message or command output?

tallgirl wrote:
I'm not going to upgrade X -- the thing that seems to be in the way -- until I take the server down.

We have two points here:

1) The X upgrade somehow gets in the way. Could you explain more (preferably with a command output or error message)?
2) Why do you want to upgrade X only when restarting the server?

tallgirl wrote:

I hope you have some kind of "staging" or "testing" environment.
tallgirl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simba7 wrote:
tallgirl wrote:

Then whoever you work for is a complete moron. Every business has a monthly maintenance schedule. If you don't, equipment starts breaking down and then you're really in a sh*tload of trouble.

No, not every business has a "maintenance schedule" that permits servers to go down so they can be "maintained". It really is possible to run systems with the expectation that they will be up 24/7 and if they fail, they fail over to a system that is hot and ready to go.

Simba7 wrote:
You keep using the term "courtesy mask", but what does it mean?

"Well, this is really old, so I'm going to mask it. You need to upgrade."

Here's one --

Code:
# Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> (07 Mar 2010)
# Very old packages that people should have upgraded away from
# long ago.  Courtesy mask ... time to upgrade.
# Added <sys-fs/e2fsprogs as well (halcy0n)
sys-libs/com_err
sys-libs/ss
<sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.8
<sys-fs/e2fsprogs-1.41.9

And here's the "rationale" for forcing X/11 to be upgraded --

Code:
# Tomáš Chvátal <scarabeus@gentoo.org> (15 Feb 2011)
# Dropping support for 1.7 xorg-server series.
# Please upgrade to xorg-server-1.9.
# These ebuilds will be removed in 30 days.

Oh, wait -- that's not a rationale, that's "Do it because I say so!"

Simba7 wrote:
How long have you been in IT?

32 years. And you?
tallgirl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo-dev wrote:
Simba7 wrote:
The problem is when you reach that point, your Gentoo system is not upgradeable anymore because it's a rolling distro, you have to maintain it, blah blah... We hear the same rhetoric every time anyone tries to update a gentoo system too late.
If you update regularly, you run the risk of having to fix more issues on every update, and you're told after you've already emerged some package that needs some other fix, rewrite of some configs or what not...
Bottom line: I gave up on Gentoo, period.

Well ... I started with Gentoo a LONG time ago and needed the flexibility and performance. The problem isn't Gentoo, or portage, or any of those things. It's the attitude that packages =must= be upgraded for some reason that just has nothing to do with reality. Who =cares= if e2fsprogs or the X server is old. Leave it be.

I dumped Gentoo when I started selling embedded boxes and was no longer certain I could stick with an image I could blast onto a disk and tweak whatever I needed to tweak. I was having to update the installation image, regardless of sales, and that was a waste of time. Now that I've got servers that are ancient, I'm running into masks that have no legitimate need to exist.

"Rolling distro" and "don't mask old ebuilds just because they are old" aren't mutually exclusive. It took a bunch of wading through packages.mask to fix the problem, but once I undid all the nanny masks, I managed to update just the parts I needed to update. And that's all I ask for -- don't mask stuff that ain't broke.
tallgirl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
Long-term ignorance of how a distro works is not long-term stability. If you're installing Gentoo in production then letting it go 290 days without even so much as a glsa-check — security updates — and then coming here and whining that we don't have a magic update fairy for people living under a rock, then sorry but in all honesty you shouldn't be administrating Linux systems.

Don't even get me started about security. It isn't pretty.
phajdan.jr
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you unmasked the packages and the update apparently succeeded. What's the problem then? Maintaining older packages is a maintenance burden, and we don't always have manpower for that. If you have or want to maintain them locally, and want Gentoo to change, consider becoming a developer and helping maintaining those packages in Gentoo. Or become a proxy maintainer. This has a chance to work, but I doubt whether complaints like this thread can change something.

Please be constructive. If you want, you can publish an overlay with those older packages unmasked (in fact, people have been doing just that with for example KDE 3, which is no longer in portage). If it's useful for other people, they will take that.
tallgirl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phajdan.jr wrote:
This has a chance to work, but I doubt whether complaints like this thread can change something.

I do contribute to various packages. Gentoo isn't the entire universe, you know, nor can I contribute to every single package in said entire universe.

Quote:
Please be constructive. If you want, you can publish an overlay with those older packages unmasked (in fact, people have been doing just that with for example KDE 3, which is no longer in portage). If it's useful for other people, they will take that.

Excuse me? "Don't do people 'favors' by masking working packages" is a pretty constructive comment. That I was able to build masked packages is just a fact of life, and the "burden" of maintaining a package that was successfully built once unmasked should be zero, or negative.

Here's an observation -- most of the complaints I run into with other distributions are "this distro is too bloated" or "this distro has too much security". With Gentoo it's "other people are breaking my systems". Perhaps that's something to be considered?

Seek balance in life.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you seems to love your uptime status more than anything, well, i'm pretty sure your boss could live with a 2 minutes offline status to boot a new kernel to avoid your server been compromise and taken down (by taken down i don't mean offline, sadly still online, but no more doing its tasks now that the server is doing the hacker's tasks) for X times and than another X times to investigate the hole. And worst, than again X times (in the rush) to fill the holes to get your server back to online with a safe status.
Because you can take 1 year to build a kernel (lol) but your server won't take much time to boot it (if you're doing a good job, i mean no mistake when doing it, an easy task, that we can all sometimes fail at first try)

for your programs, portage never remove your ebuild (except if your a --depclean freak, no comment on that), you can just move them in an overlay to keep using them, masking ones you don't like and unmasking ones you wish to keep...

And maintaining an old package isn't just "if it build, it work". Securities issue apply to a newer package might not get easy to apply to the same package with an old version.
So even your "old" version still build, it's not a proof of sanity, just a proof it still can be built.
Why would you finally expect gentoo devs doing what the author isn't doing ? Pickup any program you wish, and tells its author "hey, i'm still using v0.3 and i see you've update v1.3 to 1.4 to correct this bug, but version 0.3 also have the bug, why aren't you updating the 0.3 so ?"

devs, distro... make choices, if you don't agree with them, use another one. The good part is that gentoo is flexible enough that you still have many ways to not agree with the changes and still don't apply them.
I wonder what you will wrote when you get your ubuntu up and running, because i doubt you will have that many exits gentoo gave you to avoid anything they will do that you don't agree with them. What about for example if you don't like their new unity desktop? Does they gave their users the choice to not using it, does they gave you choice of what desktop you wish use? (this are real questions, answer might be yes, i don't know anything about ubuntu). And to my knowledge, i don't know any ubuntu v8 user saying they keep updating programs to correct bugs in it. It's just v8 is bug, use ubuntu v9, v9 is bug? ok go with v10...

You're using a distro that is so easy that you can just don't use the ebuild and use the source file yourself directly, maintaining it and using it as you wish. It's also doable with a binary distro, it just take more time because the further you will take that path the higher the number of sources you will need to keep because of the dependencies list getting bigger (the common bloat people rant against).

And remember, like we said here (france), so it might be a bad translation : "grass looks greener elsewhere"
tallgirl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krinn,

I'm the owner of the company. I'm the one who makes the decisions.

For some applications two minutes of downtime once a month for a reboot is entirely too much. By the time applications have been shutdown, the box rebooted, and the applications up and running again, 2 minutes can turn into an eternity. There is no such thing as a "weekend" in a 24/7 production environment. Software is written to run 24/7 with all the attention to detail that's required to do that.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. It's convinced me that Gentoo is completely inappropriate for a high-availability environment.

Seek balance in life.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgirl,

I think enough has been said and I think you may have legitimate reasons for the decision you've come to.

However, I'd like to give you one little piece of justification for why the Gentoo Portage tree is managed the way it is. Gentoo's main servers' Internet bandwidth is donated (by OSUOSL, I believe) to Gentoo, not paid for. If all extremely old (but not known to be harmful) ebuilds were left in the tree then "emerge --sync" time for everyone and outbound bandwidth for our benefactors, would go up. We're incented to keep the tree lean for both of those reasons. The "Courtesy Mask" you're railing about really is a courtesy; it's much more friendly than just deleting the ebuild without warning. Maintenance effort is also an issue, possibly equally as important as the bandwidth issue; Gentoo seems to be perennially understaffed and reducing the number of supported versions of a package definitely has a positive impact on maintenance effort.

Now, that all said, I'm not completely sure that Gentoo has perfectly balanced all of these factors today, but there are legitimate reasons for doing things the way that we do.

- John
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: