Missing network card driver files
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flying_monkey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:41 am    Post subject: Missing network card driver files Reply with quote

I downloaded the livecd-basic-1.4_rc1-r2.iso, burned it, and can boot from it successfully. But the pci-setup script doesn't set up the network. I know that the module I need is 8139too, but when I modprobe it, it says "device not found". This was in the previous Gentoo boot disks, why did you take it out of the 1.4 one? I can mount my old Gentoo system, and see that file, but I can't get it to load as a kernel module that way. Help?

TIA, Ed
dmouritsendk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The driver for my netcard (ethernet express 10/100) was compiled into the kernel on the 1.4 bootcd, so i didnt have to modprobe/insmod anything. I think its a realistic possibility that a 8139too driver is compiled into the kernel too.

Are you positive that a driver for the netcard isnt loaded (look in /proc or at the dmesg output)?
eryvile
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, I had problems with the 8139too on the 1.4_rc1 cd too, though it might be that I gave up too quickly (modprobe didn't give the result as expected, didn't find the module, that was it, kind'a lazy, I know :wink: ) I simply switched back to the 1.2 stage 1 cd, which has the necessary module 8139too for the realtek chip :) and then used the wget command to get the 1.4 stage 1 tarball. Worked like a charm :D and has no downsides at all!
mvc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have an 8139too (pcmcia) and cannot install it either using the 1.2 disk. My guess is that it uses the yenta_socket module instead of the i82365, but I cannot find this module in the 1.2 cd. Now I'm downloading an alternate .iso image built by an user named Gert specifically with pcmcia support from http://gert.sos.be. I'll post the news.

marco
nalin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use some generic ethernet card with the 8139too (realtec chipset) driver...if I remember correctly support was compiled in the kernel with the boot disk and I just had to run dhcpcd, no modprobe...
just for reference here, mine is pci, not pcmcia
mvc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it works! The problem with 8139too (as a pcmcia card) is that it doesn't work with the default i82365 module. If anyone has this card, here is how to install gentoo 1.4:

- Get the above metioned .iso file from http:// gert.sos.be, which was built with pcmcia support (thanks Gert!) and then boot it
- do:

modprobe pcmcia_core
modprobe yenta_socket
modprobe ds
cardmgr -f

and then:

modprobe 8139too

Then continue from step 4 of rojaro's guide:

rojaro wrote:
so just download an old 1.2 iso ... you dont need the 1.4 iso to install gentoo 1.4.rc1 ... this is how to do it:

1. boot the 1.2 cd as usual
2. load pcmcia drivers
Code:
modprobe pcmcia_core
modprobe i82365
modprobe ds
cardmgr -f

3. configure your network as usual
4. prepare partitions & and filesystems as usual
5. mount filesystems as usual - just don't mount the cd
6. now make a directory in /mnt/gentoo/ e.g. install-temp
7. cd /mnt/gentoo/install-temp
8. download the gentoo 1.4 stage[X]-tarball from ibiblio.org into this directory e.g.:
Code:
wget http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/releases/1.4_rc1/x86/stage1-x86-1.4_rc1-20020908-1208.tar.bz2

9. cd /mnt/gentoo/
9. unpack it e.g.
Code:
tar xvjpf /mnt/gentoo/install-temp/stage1-x86-1.4_rc1-20020908-1208.tar.bz2

10. continue installation as usual

thats it. also remember that the current 1.4_rc1 iso's are just release candidates and NOT final versions. so just file a bug report at bugs.gentoo.org and install (i wont do it as i cant verify this as i dont use/have the 1.4 iso's ... i did the installation exactly as i explained).

[edit: addendum, if you want to use the stage files from the 1.4-cd you can also do that with out any problems. just put it in the cd drive and mount it as usual after you've bootet from the old 1.2 cd *hint* *hint*]

[edit: added example wget command ... ]

It worked for me!

Marco
flying_monkey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing network card driver files Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, folks. I should have made clear that I had a PCI card, so I apologize for wasting some of your time, mvc. nalin, I tried to do dhcpcd, and could never get the UP and RUNNING indications. I'm pretty sure that the method proposed by eryvile will be my solution, I'll let you know, but it'll probably be this weekend.

Ed
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please check dmouritsendk's post also. I would expect this very common driver to be compiled directly into the livecd kernel. modprobe would fail because it's unnecessary.
flying_monkey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, rac, but if that were true, wouldn't I see UP and RUNNING if I did the "ifconfig -a"? I didn't see that when I tried it.

Ed
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewinches wrote:
if that were true, wouldn't I see UP and RUNNING if I did the "ifconfig -a"?

Not unless somebody (you? dhcpcd?) configured the interface previously.
mnajem
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nalin wrote:
I use some generic ethernet card with the 8139too (realtec chipset) driver...if I remember correctly support was compiled in the kernel with the boot disk and I just had to run dhcpcd, no modprobe...
just for reference here, mine is pci, not pcmcia

Hi,

I am using Marvell Yukon eth0 card too, your solution (running dhcpcd) works for me.. weird though :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: