Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Installing Windows 7 (Gentoo already installed)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedSpade08
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Installing Windows 7 (Gentoo already installed) Reply with quote

First off, hi folks!

My laptop is a bit old (3 or 4 years), and I've been running gentoo on it for months. I recently started school online and found out today that I can get a copy of Windows 7 dirt cheap. Normally I wouldn't bother with it but students are encouraged to use certain software that, while not required, would make certain things much more convenient. As is to be expected, this software only runs on Windows and Mac.

I've already checked the system requirements, but my main concern is whether I will have to do anything post-install (other than edit my grub.conf and re-run grub-install)

Thanks in advance
keet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in similar situations, and with few exceptions, installing Windows after installing Gentoo is fine; you must simply use a GRUB boot disc or some Linux boot disc to chroot into your Gentoo installation and reinstall GRUB after.

The only time that sort of thing has gone with is with my wife's laptop, and that's because it has some weird problem with boot flags, I think.

Another couple ideas that might help you avoid installing Windows all out are WINE and VirtualBox. You can check the compatibility of your programs at the WINE application database, or install Windows in a virtual machine using VirtualBox (or VMWare or Qemu or possibly something else), though having at least 2GB RAM would probably help that be fast enough.
0ddbio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how the windows installer is with resizing partitions.. particularly linux partitions..

So you should probably make the space you want to use for windows on your hard drive before you install it.

But after that, I think it's just as keet said, installing grub again (via a booting from a linux CD and doing chroot). Should be all there is to it.

One problem you may or may not have though is requiring an extended partition because windows 7 requires 2 partitions I think. So if you have 3 partitions then you will require the use of an extended partition...

I only bring it up because I am not sure how nice windows7 plays with extended partitions..

good luck
Aquous
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are only two caveats. One is the obvious: Windows will kill GRUB. That's no problem, just chroot in from a live disc and
Code:
# grub
root (hd0,x)
setup (hd0)
quit
where x is your Gentoo partition

The second problem is that the installer would like to have two primary partitions. One is a 250 MB 'rescue' partition, the other is the one the OS will be installed in. You must allow the installer to create these partitions from free space on its own (otherwise it won't create the rescue partition correctly). So make sure you have (x+0.25)GB of unpartitioned space on your disk where x is how big you want Windows to be able to get. Oh, and, of course, make sure you don't tell Windows to wipe your whole disk - there should be something akin to an 'advanced' button in the partitioning part of setup.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: