How safe is it to use mdadm to hot add to rootfs raid
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirlark
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: How safe is it to use mdadm to hot add to rootfs raid Reply with quote

I have a two identical hdds in a home server machine. They are each partitioned identically: boot, root, swap. On initial install, I set up the root partition as a mirror RAID over /dev/sda2 (root) and /dev/sdb2 (root), boot is /dev/sda1, and swap is /dev/sda3. I then added an extra drive for backup storage, and my drives got renamed. The new drive became /dev/sda. I have changed grub to point to /dev/sdb1 for the boot partition and the fstab uses /dev/sdb3 for swap.

Code:
mdadm --detail /dev/md0
tells me that the RAID has only one active drive now. My question is simply if it's safe to to hot add the old /dev/sdb2 (not /dev/sdc2) to the RAID, specifically will the newly added drive be overwritten with the current contents, or is it possible that the newly added drive, being originally a drive in the array, would somehow cause the RAID to synchronize to the stale data on /dev/sdc2 (the newly added drive)

The command I'm thinking of running is

Code:
mdadm -A /dev/md0 -a /dev/sdc2

Thanks
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdadm is perfectly safe, just as dd is perfectly safe, unless of course you don't understand what will happen and you end up using it wrong, like holding a gun the wrong way and shooting yourself

Look at /proc/mdstat

It tells you which drive is currently in use. If you add a new drive, it will sync from the currently active drive, to the newly added drive, thus the contents on the added drive will be overwritten by the sync.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: