Optimizing Bochs performance?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TobiWan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Optimizing Bochs performance? Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I emerged Bochs and installed the vga font manually for X and now it works. I followed the how-to on bochs.sourceforce.net and I'm in the process of installing Windows 98SE... since yesterday. File copying in the Windows setup started yesterday evening and now - 18 hours later - it's still at 68%.

I knew that Bochs was slow, but that slow is just ridiculous. I guess my brain could emulate a faster Pentium... :roll:

I checked whether my system wasn't a fast enough platform for Bochs, but Bochs takes only about 14% to 16% of CPU. I have 1.25GB RAM and spended 256MB on the Bochs process.

Now my question: How can I optimize Bochs? Is there something I can do inside Bochs configuration files or should I try giving the Bochs process a higher priority?

How does a normal user give a process a higher priority, assuming that process is started inside a shell?

Please help me out here because I actually expected to have a running Windows 98SE installation this week...

thanks,
Tobias
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: