View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
palmer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Evolution "Formatting Message..." [solved] Reply with quote

I recently switched from KDE to GNOME (I happened to to this on the same day as the baselayout-2 change, so that may also be related), and which I unmerged all the KDE dependencies (and added -kde, -qt, -qt4 to USE flags) I noticed that whenever I start Evolution it takes pauses for about 15 seconds with "Formatting Message..." instead of the actual email displayed. This happens for all messages when I start evolution, but after that all messages display instantly (including new messages that came in while I was running Evolution).

The only thing I can see that is different is that I now the process "/usr/libexec/e-addressbook-factory" now uses 100% CPU. This persists after Evolution is closed, and I have to kill -9 it in order to make it go away. Running e-addressbook-factory causes it to use 100% CPU (I left it for about 10 minutes and no change). The output (the program remains running) is

Code:

e-data-server-Message: adding type `EBookBackendGoogleFactory'
e-data-server-Message: adding type `EBookBackendGroupwiseFactory'
e-data-server-Message: adding type `EBookBackendWebdavFactory'
e-data-server-Message: adding type `EBookBackendFileFactory'
e-data-server-Message: adding type `EBookBackendVCFFactory'

CRTL-C properly kills e-addressbook-factory.

I can't seem to find anything about this on google (just a closed bug for Ubuntu that was never responded to by the developers).

Since removing KDE I have ensured that `revdep-rebuild -- -av`, `emerge -av --depclean`, and `emerge -avuND world` don't have anything to do. In addition, I tried rebooting the computer.

Thanks

Last edited by palmer on Mon May 23, 2011 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joseph_sys
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting the same, e-addressbook-factory take over 95% of CPU every time I start evolution.
palmer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joseph_sys wrote:
I'm getting the same, e-addressbook-factory take over 95% of CPU every time I start evolution.

I don't know the actual cause of the problem, but `emerge --emptytree evolution` fixed it for me (I also removed my entire Evolution configuration, but that didn't seem to make a difference).

Good luck!
Joseph_sys
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmem wrote:
Joseph_sys wrote:

I don't know the actual cause of the problem, but `emerge --emptytree evolution` fixed it for me (I also removed my entire Evolution configuration, but that didn't seem to make a difference).

Good luck!

That is insane idea in my case :-/
system wants to rebuild over 400-packages; no way.
I've found better idea:
http://www.stuermer.ch/blog/the-end-of-evolution-and-how-to-migrate-on-thunderbird.html

Evolution is getting too buggy, it is time to move on.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: