Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How to disable font antialiasing in GTK2 apps permanently?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merlin-TC
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: How to disable font antialiasing in GTK2 apps permanently? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been trying to find it out for some time now.

I am using KDE but using some GTK2 apps like Mozilla Firebird & Thunderbird.

But when antialiasing for fonts is enabled in GTK2 apps it just looks horrible and mostly the fonts are too small to read.

When I am in KDE I can disable it with the "gnome-font-properties" (yeah, I emerged gnome....) but when I restart KDE the next time the font anti aliasing is enabled again.

Can anyone give me a clue how to solve this?

Thanks a lot!
Ignignokt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this still works (it did in GTK 2.0) but try setting
Code:
GDK_USE_XFT=0

in your .bash_profile or .bashrc

I believe that turns off anti-aliasing for gtk2 apps. Of course, I can't live without it on, personally :)
Merlin-TC
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will give that a try.

Well, if font AA would work then I would stick with it but it totally messes up my fonts in MozillaFirebird.

For example fonts that have a normal readable size when they are not AA are really small and the letters are just not clear when AA is on.

So, if you have any suggestions on how to make AA work properly I am willing to try :)
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merlin-TC wrote:
So, if you have any suggestions on how to make AA work properly I am willing to try :)

Try setting them with gtk-theme-switch (switch2) instead of gnome-font-properties. The latter requires gnome-settings-daemon to run.
Ignignokt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you installed any TrueType fonts on your system? I know gtk2's font renderer looks in ~/.fonts

I just dump a ton of fonts in that dir, then run fc-cache (and ignore the errors)

Maybe give that a shot? Try this:

- Dump some nice TT fonts in ~/.fonts
- run fc-cache
- run gnome-font-properties to pick an application font that looks nice (TT fonts look much better)

Of course, it may have something to do with you running KDE, but I don't know much about KDE. It's worth a try I guess :)
searcher
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the fonts just messed up in firebird? If so, take a look around on the forums, there are loads of topics on how to fix that, it's a setting in firebird itself. I'd personally rather fix the one program then disable it completely. but that's just me i guess ;)

~searcher

p.s.
It can look nice, look here

Merlin-TC wrote:
I will give that a try.

Well, if font AA would work then I would stick with it but it totally messes up my fonts in MozillaFirebird.

For example fonts that have a normal readable size when they are not AA are really small and the letters are just not clear when AA is on.

tad
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try configuring your fonts with gnome-font-properties, then adding "gnome-settings-daemon &" to whatever startup script KDE uses (I'm not quite sure what it is, as I don't use KDE personally). This works when I run flux or any WM that doesn't use gnome's session management.
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tad wrote:
Try configuring your fonts with gnome-font-properties, then adding "gnome-settings-daemon &" to whatever startup script KDE uses (I'm not quite sure what it is, as I don't use KDE personally). This works when I run flux or any WM that doesn't use gnome's session management.

That'll work, but it won't work as well as it would in something like flux. This is because gnome-settings-daemon conflicts with kded's session management. I don't think this is as big of a problem with 3.1 as it is 3.2 however.
Merlin-TC
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to change it in Firebird many times, even increased the minimum size and "always use my fonts" with bitstream charter fonts but still I was not satisfied.

@searcher: How are your settings in firebird?
What did you do that it looks like that? :O
What desktop are you using?
searcher
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the fonts in firebird, look here.

As for my desktop, i'm using fluxbox stable together with the "Operation" style that comes with fluxbox (or commonbox themes, i forget). On the right gkrellm2 with "BlueCurve" theme, and everything is anti-aliased using the xfs (and enabling "aa" in the fluxbox config. Just shifted the toolbar a bit around, and used idesk for icons with the crystal icon set. That about covers it i think.

~searcher
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: