Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Size of root and /usr or x64 Gnome Gentoo desktop?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pstar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Size of root and /usr or x64 Gnome Gentoo desktop? Reply with quote

Hi I am doing a new installation of Gentoo, as we have not so great connection speed and insane data cap in New Zealand, I tend to keep download Dist files in my portage tree, and
it grown to a few Gigs over time and always make my root bigger than normal and I have to resize my root a couples of times in the past.

Anyway, as I just wiped out my root for new install (switch from x86 to 64), just want to know what size of root other Gentoo users have in their Desktop PC so I can use as reference for my new installation.

I am using Genome, but tends to keep a few KDE applications over time like K3b, Amarok etc.
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mh, just use a dedicated partition for portage/distfiles(can also be shared between different Gentoo systems, if you've got more machines running it)?

As for your question, my(!) complete system (excluding ~/) fits 2.4Gb, but it doesn't have any DE on it - most is used by TeX-stuff and kernel-sources.

As for a complete KDE/GNOME + OO.o/LO.o and other stuff, I'd say 6-8Gb should do it, add another 2Gb if you have more than 1 kernel-source laying around.

Or use LVM and resize quite easily and safely on the fly.
pstar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

avx wrote:
Mh, just use a dedicated partition for portage/distfiles(can also be shared between different Gentoo systems, if you've got more machines running it)?

As for your question, my(!) complete system (excluding ~/) fits 2.4Gb, but it doesn't have any DE on it - most is used by TeX-stuff and kernel-sources.

As for a complete KDE/GNOME + OO.o/LO.o and other stuff, I'd say 6-8Gb should do it, add another 2Gb if you have more than 1 kernel-source laying around.

Or use LVM and resize quite easily and safely on the fly.

Actually I am thinking about root for a partition and /usr or /portage another partition and I will probably make use of LVM for /usr or /Portage if it is not so much trouble compare to LVM on root itself.

Oh, I think my last root partition took about 22GB(!) and it is relative new installation for about 1 year, not sure how much /usr took, and yes I had more than one kernel source, I think three different versions or more, bad habits? I think I used more than one Kernel to compare performance about 4 years ago to compare their performance when I got a AMD Althon.
keet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you install multiple desktop environments and some big games in /opt, I doubt that it would go over 10GB, ever. A safe maximum value, in my opinion, is 25GB.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: