Kick it while it's down !
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Kick it while it's down ! Reply with quote

Hi,
[/list]
I'm installing Gentoo on an old Compaq Presario, Pentium 3, 512 MB RAM and a slightly old liveCD, before trying a 64 bit install on a newer box alongside one of those windowy OS's. Just to get my eye in one could say. So far I've had a fun time, I'm only doing the steps when I have a bit of free time and as a result I'm doing everything in the install manual somewhat piecewise. I do have a few general queries/comments though, that I'm not in a hurry to solve, I was more curious bout them really.

Firstly is a querie. I was installing initially, chrooted around step 5. Then we had a power out and since the laptop is oldie with a hobble in her battery, she bombed and I had to get to where I was from the start all over again. I reload the live CD, go through the whole net-setup thingy to get the web access and run the following
Code:

# mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/gentoo (hda3 in my case)
# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot (hda1 in my case)
# mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
# mount --rbind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
# cp -L /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/
# chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
# env-update
# source /etc/profile
# export PS1="(chroot) $PS1"

Which seems to cover most of the stuff one needs. I would however like to know if I'm supposed to re-activate the swap space using
Code:

swapon /dev/sda2 (hda2 in my case)

The reason I'm asking is that a few days and restarts later, I can't compile syslog-ng, using my default settings in make.conf which worked when I compiled the kernel (a few days ago). I've had to kick down the optimization to -O0 and the number of chips to -j1 to do so, they were at -O2 and -j2. I would have figured if it could compile the kernel then it would work for anything else. (Update : I just tried activating the swap space and re-emerged syslog-ng, this worked fine on the higher settings, so I guess that's important :D )

Second with chrooting there is an export command (shown above) is this really necessary, all it seems to do is change the prompt. In which case does
Code:

export PS1="(look how sall your cursor is) $PS1"

work too ?

Thirdly : I also have had trouble with my network during the install since I'm trying with a wireless connection instead of the available more sensible ethernet connection. This is deliberately done for the experience :D and I am being inconveniently lazy :P I do wonder though if it's possbile to configure the connection once you've chrooted, i.e. without using net-setup , as my router keeps resetting my link. Currently if my connection drops I type
Code:
exit
to get back to the live cd, fix the connection issues using net-setup and re-enter the chrooting commands to get back to where I was. I don't mind since I'm still setting up but I was just wondering. Sometimes If exiting, net-setuping and chrooting again doesn't work I end up shuttingdown to do the above again. Ok, Wait fixed that just now, once you've emerged net-tools or net-supplicant we have the if/iwconfig commands to fdo this.

I've also wondered if one wishes to upgrade the kernel later on, does one merely recompile the kernel and copy paste it to the boot folder ? This is absurdly easy considering I'm from that other OS. Another thing I've wondered is that every setting seems to be set up in text files, so if somthing doens't work later on do we just fire up the live cd and patch up the text files so that the system runs again ?

The desription of how to add the lan setup to the startup procedure mentions that one must add the commands to the startup file via an rc command, it keeps referring to eth0 but if I'm using wlan0 should I just replace all the lines with that instead ?

Also I've noticed one furries : Mirrorselect does not work as per the manuals' instructions section 6a code listing 1.1. Doing the plain mirrorselect doesn't work doing it with RSYNC does.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carel,

Yes, you need to do
Code:
swapon /dev/sda2
to turn on swapping.
Look in
Code:
the 5th line tells you about swap.

All that
Code:
export PS1="(chroot) $PS1"
is to prepend chroot to the existing prompt. Your suggestion will work too.

Its quite common during an install to have several virtual terminals (VT) in use, not all inside the chroot. So its good to know where you are.

Before you chroot, do
Code:
passwd
and set the root passwd for this session on the liveCD.
Now you can log in at another VT ... Press Alt-Fn for Fn 2..5. to get back to the original VT, its Alt-F1. You can copy and paste between VTs too.

Instrctions for setting up wireless networking are in the handbook, its a little more involved than wired networking

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Carel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the speedy response :D It's very much appreciated.

So far I've been setting the password when I boot the gentoo live disk, I boot with
Code:

gentoo noload=pata_qdi passwd=I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok !

The Pata_qdi thing seems to be an old bug, I found a bug report on the forum. I don't think it's been solved, but I'm not using an up to date live CD so I haven't reported my problems as that'd be misleading to the fellows working on that.

I like the top command it's rather cool thanks :D also didn't know the Alt+Fn thing either, though I'm still playing with one VT AFAIK.

I just misfired the kernel, think my grub settings are dodgy, so I'm going to tweak that and try again :)
Carel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just logged into gentoo :D Took a bit of time since my grub. conf needed to be setup properly, apparently the you need to use sda instead of hda :S Thanks for the pointers earlier Mr. Seagoon
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: