Gentoo Sata Drive order
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J3N7iL
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Gentoo Sata Drive order Reply with quote

I had posted this back in April and was given the suggestion to use a Debian Live CD and to do the Gentoo install that way. I have put that off in hopes that someone else would have had a similar issue or found a a bug.

I would like to re-post this in hopes that some fresh eyes can get a look and give some input

Quote:

I have 6 sata connectors internally on my mobo.

Sata 1 is a 250gig HA

sata 2-5 are 500G hd's that were part of a mdadm raid from an old system

sata 6 is my cdrom

In the bios I have set sata1/250g as primary boot. I have tested this with a debian install disk and it gets picked up as sda1 and the raid gets built. But I want to migrate to gentoo.

The gentoo install disk picks up sata1/250g as sdb and has a disk in the raid as sda. This is messing up my grub install and bootability.

I have tried boot options such as "gentoo doscsi" and "gentoo doscsi nodmraid" with no luck

Any thoughts?

Thank you all in advance
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

out of curiosity: does SystemRescueCD exhibit the same behaviour as the gentoo cd?

I ask, because sysrescuecd is built from gentoo, and tends to be the favored .iso for doing a gentoo install, so I'm wondering if they're doing something different
feystorm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also use udev rules to identify drives by their serial and set specific drives to specific dev names.
I'm guessing the cause of this is the modules for your deviecs are loaded in a different order on debian, than in gentoo. This is a big reason of why udev rules exist :-)

http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html
J3N7iL
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feystorm wrote:
You can also use udev rules to identify drives by their serial and set specific drives to specific dev names.
I'm guessing the cause of this is the modules for your deviecs are loaded in a different order on debian, than in gentoo. This is a big reason of why udev rules exist :-)

http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

The problem with using Udev is that the install disk has already booted and taken it's sda as first disk, essentially locking it. Not even /umount -f /dev/sda will release it cause it is in use.

So if I Proceed using either the /dev/sdb or the udev of the device I want, grub will still look at the first disk on the system for the OS and then fail.

I'll look more into it when I get home and try again, maybe I missed something. I'll also test the system restore disk as well.
dwbowyer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a reason why you couldn't just unplug the raided drives for install, and then plug them back in after?
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to use the Gentoo install disk in order to install Gentoo. Any other Live CD works just as well for a stage3 install as described in the Gentoo Handbook.

/dev/sdx names are dynamic so you should never rely on them, work with UUIDs instead. For Grub 1, you can specify a device.map
J3N7iL
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwbowyer wrote:
Is there a reason why you couldn't just unplug the raided drives for install, and then plug them back in after?

I did try that and the end result was Grub was unable to find a kernel after the raid was plugged in.

Also I should add that these are rack mounted systems, and are very difficult to travel to them and open them up.
J3N7iL
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frostschutz wrote:
You don't have to use the Gentoo install disk in order to install Gentoo. Any other Live CD works just as well for a stage3 install as described in the Gentoo Handbook.

/dev/sdx names are dynamic so you should never rely on them, work with UUIDs instead. For Grub 1, you can specify a device.map

I will now try this approach, but I fear the I will have the same result as with plugging in the sata after the install, Gentoo for some reason favors this one particular drive at boot and will not find grub or grub will not find the kernel.

I will provide updates once I have have tested a few new methods
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: