Creating an embedded development environment[solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tenspd137
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:19 am    Post subject: Creating an embedded development environment[solved] Reply with quote

Hi all -

I hope this is the right place for this. I was reading the embedded handbook. I wanted to experiment with creating a cross compiler. I am just wondering if:

Quote:

To keep your Gentoo installation clean, we highly recommend that crossdev installation and all cross-compiling activities occur inside a Gentoo stage3 chroot.

means that on my current system, I download a stage 3 tarball and install it somewhere, say

/mycrosscompiler

and then chroot into there and set up a cross compiler? Would that work? It certainly seems safer. Sorry if it seems like a dumb question, I was just trying to clarify as I interpreted it as basically setting up a smaller system within a system.

Thanks!

Last edited by tenspd137 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think they recommend this because using crossdev installs lots of extra build tools under different ebuild names - it's not impossible to do this in your main system but cleaning everything out when you're done with a particular version is a bit of a mess.

As a bonus, you'll have a development (or at least cross compiling depending how much you install) environment that can run under other linux if needed without modifications.
tenspd137
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - that helps a lot in planning - I am currently upgrading/changing my system to amd64, so I thought I would use it as an opportunity to clean up, but I just wanted to make sure I was reading the embedded development stuff corectly.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: