media-sound/gmusicbrowser-{1.1.8,9999} & layouts ebuilds
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: media-sound/gmusicbrowser-{1.1.8,9999} & layouts ebuilds Reply with quote

For those interested in a newer gmusicbrowser and gmusicbrowser-art layouts, I've submited a bug for version bump for gmusicbrowser and added gmusicbrowser-layouts ebuild in the same bug.
Screen shots can be found on those two homepage.
This media player is more than promising... with CUE support nothing on *nix can come close to it. Everything is herebug 371943.

Last edited by tclover on Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: No OSS4 support but still... Reply with quote

This media player does not have OSS4 support but still... it's still better than other ones because gstreamer support with gmusicbrowser is not a mere simple word. You can select your `/dev/dsp*' device in the preferences. Why do you care about such trivial thing? Well, despite the support of gstreamer on the most and the less fancier player out there,--take rhythmbox for example which is not a bad player at all but...,--the gstreamer support mean, and I don't knwo if it's a bug in gstreamer or in those media players, the player output via the default `/dev/dsp*' device defined by gstreamer-properties. In theory that what should happen but every media player I've tried, I repeat myself--rhythmbox in one of the best--, end up by outputing to card0/subcard0--that's mean the first output the first OSS[4] device and even if /dev/dsp' is linked to the right device. The issues is that the first OSS[4] device is hdaudio... for those of us who have a sound card and picked it with a little care to not have a disgusting sound that's too much.

Until merging gmusicbrowser, I was stuck with audacious which has a native OSS4 support--which give a really great sound when it output to a CMI8788 (full DUPLEX SPDIF) than to even HD Audio full DUPLEX SPDIF!--which is still too buggy to my taste. audacious is still too buggy when .cue(+.ape|.flac) file... the seekbar is pratically useless.

So to finish you can select your OSS4 device with it or chose to play your media with mplayer[2] if you want. And of course you can really manage your library and not only be able to do a mere search/filter... which is the meaning of `manage large library' of well known media players.

...still you don't care. I do.
ashtophet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great!

Although my main music player, for a long time, are xmms2 and quodlibet, it's quite refreshing to try something that versatile.

Thank you very much!

P.S.: Of course, shameless shot: http://ompldr.org/vOTQ2Yw
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, thanks for the ebuilds.

Did you try to give your patches to upstream? squentin can be found on #gmusicbrowser and is very helpful.

Also, you can find -9999 and 1.1.6 ebuild on gmusicbrowser homepage so perhaps you can merge your changes with the ones in the homepage? In fact, the changes I see are the mplayer2 patch (you should probably be using the epatch function and this can be gotten rid of if the changes are merged upstream) and inherit of git-2 eclass (I am not sure what is the difference between git-2 and git eclasses).

The gmusicbrowser-art ebuild has incorrect RDEPEND. It should depend on version >=1.1.6 and not >=1.1.16.

And shameless plug from me too :oops:
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm just reading your post, ppurka, after correcting that RDEPEND error--I've removed the extra 1 digit that was there!--that errors pulled 9999 version instead of 1.1.6 which is the stable release. I contacted squentin from the beginning, before any idea of submiting any bug, for the mplayer2 `patch'--because it wasn't a patch at that time. I decided later to submit a bug with the ebuilds and then... noticed that the ebuilds was primary made for my local portage tree which made me re-submit new ebuilds--I've removed mplayer2 and titlebar USE flag to not give a headache to the maintainers wich now pull an extra perl binding, that's nothing compared to the hundred pulled by gmusicbrowser if you don't have any. I have mailed squentin after submitting the bug but by now I've updated them for the previous reasons and I don't see any ebuilds on gmusicbrowser.org anymore--there's only a link to official portage tree. And there's no reaction for whatever reasons from the media-sound maintainers.
And here my shameless ss. And I'd like to know how to remove the visual panel... I don't have the time to learn perl... thanks for any input.

EDIT: I see that ashtophet has a preference for that layout too, I do as well. l, however, prefer the way the queue tab was made with that layout reminding me of what I did with a fb2k layout profile--which is my default one--on M$.
And don't post comments of your successful merging on bugzilla...
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tclover wrote:
I don't see any ebuilds on gmusicbrowser.org anymore
ebuilds from upstream are present here: http://gmusicbrowser.org/devel.html
Quote:
And there's no reaction for whatever reasons from the media-sound maintainers.
You need to give them time ;) It's been only a few days since you posted the bug.
Quote:
And here my shameless ss. And I'd like to know how to remove the visual panel... I don't have the time to learn perl... thanks for any input.
I believe you will need to edit the layout file. Just search for "Visuals" in the layout file and figure out what it corresponds to. Then just delete or comment out that portion.
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
I am not sure what is the difference between git-2 and git eclasses

I don't remember myself... if I recall well it was a comment in git eclass that is saying to use git-2 eclass instead becuase git only define basic functions(?). I don't remember where I read it but it's there.
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Multimedia to Unsupported Software as the ebuilds are currently not in the Portage tree.
Satoshi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the one who made the "upstream" ebuilds, although I stronly recommend merging the two since I didn't really know what I was doing (but they do work).

About the layout visuals, you don't need Perl for the layouts. The layouts have a syntax of their own, which you can learn here: http://gmusicbrowser.org/layout_doc.html (although the docs do need a fairly good update, since some of it is deprecated. I was supposed to work on that but ended up having no time :( ).
Taking the visuals out is probably very easy. What layout are you using?

And, well, this is my custom layout (available from gmusicbrowser-art): http://ompldr.org/vOTR5MA
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the inputs, I managed to get rid of the Visual panel/tab wich eat up 100% time of a core! nothing less nothing more on my desktop.
satoshi wrote:
I'm the one who made the "upstream" ebuilds, although I stronly recommend merging the two since I didn't really know what I was doing (but they do work).

Actually, the live devel ebuild (9999) merged without an issue without the inheritance of fdo-mime eclass, git-2 was enough, and I did not include it in the first versions appended on bug tracker. However, as I updated them to be easily added to official portage tree and not give a headache to the maintainers, and also after taking a look at yours, I added fdo-mime in the eclass for the live one. I'll leave as is for now, if ever somebody has an issue an update might be necessary and then, and only then, I might remove it as it seems not necessary.

EDIT: And yeah merging them is more than a good idea, you can read the bug for the whys I changed a thing or two. And nice layout!
EDIT2: I've read a while ago the `features plan' page and did not see any bs2b line in it along with ladspa! ... those are essential features.
Satoshi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tclover wrote:
EDIT2: I've read a while ago the `features plan' page and did not see any bs2b line in it along with ladspa! ... those are essential features.

Hmm, I'm not really sure I understand what you mean, but you can always join #gmusicbrowser on freenode or post to the forums to get feedback from squentin, he's generally very helpful.

And it's great that you liked gmusicbrowser. Ever since I found it I just can't use anything else. In fact, I'm learning perl just so that I can hack in it :) Hopefully someday I'll be the one adding features people ask :)
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

satoshi wrote:
Hmm, I'm not really sure I understand what you mean [...]

I mean Bauer stereophonic-to-binaural DSP and LADSPA... I don't mind bs2b nor LADSPA on my desktop as I could get something good without however I could not listen to anything to my laptop without bs2b along with LADSPA--as without [pre-amp, |]stereo-amp and bs2b filters I couldn't listen anything listen-able--and even with those two the sound is too awfull and too metallic. Still with a pair of good headphone I can get what a laptop hda could give for your money! So, still using audacious as my main player.

I cannot really make gmb my main player without a little cue support on my desktop and cannot use it on my laptop for the previous reasons so I'm beetween the two at the moment.

EDIT: I already went there but I was too lazzy to register only to ask for bs2b and ladspa. I'll do it when an opportunity come to post something there.
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: UPDATE: live and gmb-art ebuilds! Reply with quote

I've just updated the live and gmb-art ebuild and added a ChangeLog for that matter!
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: media-sound/gmusicbrowser-1.1.8 revision bump Reply with quote

commit 37c75139fc wrote:
v1.1.8
finally updated the filter edition and description system to the new fields
cleaned-up included layouts and added a few contributed ones
lyrics plugin updates, including option to load/save lyrics in the tag
update artistinfo plugin, which now features a similar-artist queue mode)
add albuminfo plugin
use Gtk2::StatusIcon instead of Gtk2::TrayIcon for the trayicon
add option to specify mplayer executable (for mplayer2)
cover finder plugin updates
make length check for mp3 configurable, and changes to song check progress code
saving tags and options when not quiting is now done in a fork
add pre-amp to gstreamer's equalizer
add -backtrace command line option to show the backtrace of every warning
Capitalize each word tool : now capitalize after every non-letter rather than any space
create categories for fields and improve song info dialog
add style and theme as optional fields
add ReloadLayouts command and button
simple search syntax improvements
add QueueInsertSelected command to insert selected songs at the top of the queue
FilterPanes: add hscrollbar option to deactivate horizontal scrollbar
mpris2 plugin : add option to remove gmusicbrowser from the ubuntu sound menu
export plugin: gmusicbrowser no longer freeze while running custom commands and not using $files
m4a files : small fix for alac-encoded files so that they get audio info
simple_http : http header clean-ups and support for gzip-encoded content

translations updates : russian korean german portuguese
new transation : italian
(many thanks to the translators)

[bar-]overlay topic is over topic 889918 or bar-overlay.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: