Mounting WD TV Live Hub
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpartanW80
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:32 am    Post subject: Mounting WD TV Live Hub Reply with quote

I recently made the switch from Ubuntu to Gentoo and have been loving it since then.

However, in Ubuntu, I could mount my WD TV Live Hub simply by going to Network in Nautilus.

I'm currently running the latest stable version of Gnome for AMD64 and cannot view my WD TV Live Hub(And its attached hard drive) via that method.
I've thought of trying samba but my younger sibling's Ubuntu powered netbook doesn't seem to have that installed, so I presume it uses another method to complete this task.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to mount the WD TV Live Hub's internal and external(1TB 2.5" I bought when I ran out of internal storage) HDD?
SLBMEH
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To view files from a SMB/CIFS share you do not need Samba installed... You will, however, need to have the filesystem driver and user space tools to browse/mount a smbfs or cifs share.
SpartanW80
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLBMEH wrote:
To view files from a SMB/CIFS share you do not need Samba installed... You will, however, need to have the filesystem driver and user space tools to browse/mount a smbfs or cifs share.

I made sure I had all the drivers in the kernel and I've tried the both mount-cifs and samba with smbnetfs and smbkit but I haven't been able to see the live hub. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
sromano88
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Related question Reply with quote

SpartanW80 wrote:
SLBMEH wrote:

I made sure I had all the drivers in the kernel and I've tried the both mount-cifs and samba with smbnetfs and smbkit but I haven't been able to see the live hub. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

SpartanW80, I want to ask you something that not even WD support could answer me.
I want to mount the WD TV Live Hub hard disc from an Ubuntu PC.
I don't have the WD TV Live Hub, so I can't make the test myself.

In Ubuntu, I can access a share via Places > Connect to Server....
It seems to create some kind of folder linkage where you can see the share content.
I think this is what you meant by "However, in Ubuntu, I could mount my WD TV Live Hub simply by going to Network in Nautilus."

This kind of mapping has some problems because this share is considered a network resource.
In this case, attempting to save a link/picture in FireFox brings up the standard save-file dialog and none of the network shares show up there.
Other example is that music players can't open this share for the same reason (standard file dialog won't show them).
A lot of programs don't have options to look at a network resource to get files.

It is different if the share is mounted in the file system (via /etc/fstab).
This way, the share is handled as a local file system and everything works as expected.

With a windos share, I could access the content via Places > Connect to Server.... in one way and with a mounted file system on the other way.
To mount this network share I added the following line on /etc/fstab

//192.168.1.102/Users/Paula/Sergio /mnt/Sergio cifs defaults,username=sergio,password=sergio,uid=1000 0 0

- The IP is the ip of the machine holding the share. You should use the WD TV live Hub IP.
- /Users/Paula/Sergio is the path to the share.
- /mnt/Sergio is the directory on my Ubuntu PC where the share will be mounted.

Can you try an example like this to see if it works for your WD TV Live Hub?
Thanks.

Sergio.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: