email server setup
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carpman
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:05 pm    Post subject: email server setup Reply with quote

Hello, i need to setup a mail server for a small company. This company is a small publisher of free mags which makes money by selling advertising space. This means that email is essential for sales, enquiries and sending receiving advert proofs / images.

The problem is that they have been getting viruses which are being passed onto clients, who in turn are blocking their email accounts. They are currently using their web hosting mail server for recieving and their ISP for sending. They do have Grisoft AV but some viruses are still slipping through.

I need some advice and pointers to good howtos.

The company have bussiness ADSL connection with perm IP

My suggestion is to setup a mail server which will provide users with a local IMAP account, i am going to try and get them to use an email client that is not Outlook express. This server will also provide email virus scanning on outgoing and incoming email.

What is best solution?

Continue using ISP smtp service, and collect email from existing mail server to store and distribute from local mail server

Create dedicated mail serving with smtp and IMAP service on local server.

cheers
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: