View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whitewolf Fox
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Best possible dual monitoring for mobile devices Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad W520 with a Nvidia Quadro 2000M Graphic Card. I'm using this device primary with one of two workspace setups:

A) Stand-alone with just the internal LCD Display in use.

I think this usecase doesn't need further explanation.

B) Together with an external Monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 2343BW), connected with a DVI Cable.

In this usecase I want the external Monitor to stand left of my Notebook and acting as primary device. "primary" means, that I want to make windows open on this monitor per default, have the KDE bars displayed on this monitor, etc. The Laptop's internal LCD Display shall only be used as secondary screen where I can arrange browsers or readers, containing a documentation or such.

OK, now I hope you can see my desired goal.
What I currently have is:

• When I'm booting with my external monitor attached, all the KDE bars are attached to the internal LCD (even if I moved them over to the external monitor and restart).
  • When I'm booting without my external monitor attached, I end up with just a desktop background displayed, since all KDE bars and new windows will open on the (not present) secondary monitor :P
  • When I managed to have the two monitors active, the external one has it's native resolution of 2048x1152 and the internal has it's native resolution of 1600x900 pixels. But when I navigate with my cursor on the "smaller" monitor (internal LCD) the cursor leaves the display in the edges and vanishes. It feels as if there's an area outside the displayed area, where no windows or desktop elements are orientated at, but the cursor can go to. Normally it shall stop at the edges.

What I actually want is:

• I'd like to have some kind of application or daemon, which determines if there is an external monitor attached or not and configures my Desktop "on the fly" to it's best fit. For example: If I boot my Device in the train, where no external monitor is attached, all my KDE bars , newly opened windows, etc. are arranged like there's no external device configured. When I arrive at work and place my device on it's docking station, the external monitor should become the primary device with all KDE bars arranged on it and the internal monitor becomes only the secondary device. When I have to take the device with me, either, because I have to participate in a meeting or are leaving for home, all opened windows and KDE bars shall become arranged on my (only left) internal monitor. I know I'm risking to become bashed for this, but: "Like it behaves in Windows." ;)
  • The dimensions of the smaller device should be applied in a way the cursor cannot leave the displayed areas anymore.

I know this might be very much to ask, but I hope this thread will serve as a guide, where everyone put's his ideas on how to achieve these things to, to help others to optimize their usability experience in the best possible way.
If there will be a reasonable (and explained) "That is not possible, because ..." - Quote, this will be OK, too. But I currently do not have any idea what's possible with Linux (/Nvidias) current state and what's not. I not even know if I shall use the "nouveau" or the "native" driver for NVidia - some seem to prefer the one while others prefer the other; but I likely never find the reasons objective explained.

Please find my current X config here: http://pastebin.com/NEmABs4m

Thank you all for your help !
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: