View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, because the likelihood that something's going to burn out is so low that it might as well be zero. Really, I do think you're over thinking this. A lot of the learning is by doing and you're depriving yourself of that.

- John
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, it seems to me you are over-thinking and worrying about it a biiit too much here. ^^;

The post you refer to seems peculiar, I'm not sure what that is about, but I, for one, have not been able to burn my hardware up yet so not sure how anyone else could!

It's a good idea to fully understand your software, and hardware before you use it. But in reality, you will probably learn those things QUITE a lot faster by going ferit and learn that way, instead of scourging the internet for the information (which by the way a lot of times is mis-leading as you surely know).

If you do not feel comfortable with configuring the kernel yourself just yet, or using the 'seeds' from Pappy, you could try Genkernel. I used that for quite a while, before I finally got myself into doing it manually, which is very simple and easy in the end. It really does not take much time to learn it for most people I would imagine, and you can get see what each option does right there when doing it via 'make menuconfig'. And if you feel the explanation there is not enough, you can use the info it does give to find some more via your favourite search-engine.

I will look into that post you referred to more tomorrow or some other day when more sober and not so tired, I have not seen anything like that before.

Either way, using the commands while installing Gentoo, or rather building your own Linux this way, I think the most damage you can do is wipe data you did not want to wipe (think of partitioning).

Okay I will end my tipsy-sleepy-thoughts-sharing-moment here this time.
Also, don't worry about the amount of memory, you really can just add it in later. You wont need much at all especially during the preliminary builds.

Will conclude it with just goferit!
ClientAlive
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
No, because the likelihood that something's going to burn out is so low that it might as well be zero. Really, I do think you're over thinking this. A lot of the learning is by doing and you're depriving yourself of that.

- John

Right on John. Sorry I was a little snippy with you. I guess I'm more of a newb that I like to admit to myself.

Chiitoo wrote:
I agree, it seems to me you are over-thinking and worrying about it a biiit too much here. ^^;

The post you refer to seems peculiar, I'm not sure what that is about, but I, for one, have not been able to burn my hardware up yet so not sure how anyone else could!

It's a good idea to fully understand your software, and hardware before you use it. But in reality, you will probably learn those things QUITE a lot faster by going ferit and learn that way, instead of scourging the internet for the information (which by the way a lot of times is mis-leading as you surely know).

If you do not feel comfortable with configuring the kernel yourself just yet, or using the 'seeds' from Pappy, you could try Genkernel. I used that for quite a while, before I finally got myself into doing it manually, which is very simple and easy in the end. It really does not take much time to learn it for most people I would imagine, and you can get see what each option does right there when doing it via 'make menuconfig'. And if you feel the explanation there is not enough, you can use the info it does give to find some more via your favourite search-engine.

I will look into that post you referred to more tomorrow or some other day when more sober and not so tired, I have not seen anything like that before.

Either way, using the commands while installing Gentoo, or rather building your own Linux this way, I think the most damage you can do is wipe data you did not want to wipe (think of partitioning).

Okay I will end my tipsy-sleepy-thoughts-sharing-moment here this time.
Also, don't worry about the amount of memory, you really can just add it in later. You wont need much at all especially during the preliminary builds.

Will conclude it with just goferit!

Well, maybe a Sunday is a good day for compiling (tomorrow is sunday - it's almost here now). I'll have to get the thing fired up and start doing some work then. I suppose one benefit is that learning what you need to as you go along at least keeps you focused on what's relevant.

Thanks for all your patience guys. I appreciate you being there for me.

Jake
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. I was a little snippy with you, too. Like I said at the very beginning, I think you'll do well. It's the people that want to be spoon fed everything that have trouble with Gentoo. :)

- John
ClientAlive
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
Heh. I was a little snippy with you, too. Like I said at the very beginning, I think you'll do well. It's the people that want to be spoon fed everything that have trouble with Gentoo. :)

- John

I'm trying to wrap my mind around a few basic concepts. Probably there's a lot of people who can just follow some sequential set of instructions and reach success; but, for me, I just feel lost if I don't have some track to go on - the track of understanding the what and the why of it all. The difference is that I'm really much more focused on concept rather than specific "click this" or "do that." The result is I get to apply those concepts to a very broad set of "click this" and "do that's" on my own. I can readily see those connections I just can't guess the way the people who went before, the one's who made the choices how to create the system in the first place, chose to do it. That's something that has to be taken at face value.

Unfortunately, I have to do other things as well - like work and manage networking contacts, and all the other daily life stuff. As a result, more time passes than I would like because I have to make time to read the manuals and things that tell you that - and I always feel like there's never enough time for it.

Anyhoo . . . thanks for ev. guys.
idella4
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClientAlive,

let's be clear, the eager friendly tones you have swapped for some hardened defensive ones, until the last one.
No-one would want to vigorously pursue an argument undermining the merit of your approach. That said, you're still talking about doing gentoo and not started.
You have done some preliminary reading. Your hardware is what you have and we have said a couple of times it will do gentoo fine.

ClientAlive wrote:

the track of understanding the what and the why of it all.

Don't be so antagonistic to the what and the why of a step at a time. Clinging to all is a big ask.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, one more note. The Gentoo Handbook does explain what you're doing—in brief. It's not just a rote set of instructions. What it's also not is a textbook on the theory of boostrapping a source based Linux distro (which is what you're doing when you install Gentoo), but you don't need that.

Come on in; the water's fine. The worst thing that can happen is that you'll drown but, in that case, I promise that the pool (your hardware) will survive the experience. :P

- John
ClientAlive
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I must have done something to the thing because now I don't seem to even have bios. :oops:

When I bought this machine I paid $50 for it; and, after the person who sold it to me tore out the door I discovered it was full of cockroaches. Cockroaches! (No kidding! Chock-full of them). So, until recently I hadn't 'thoroughly' cleaned it but the other day I took the whole thing apart (labeled everything - where it came from), cleaned everything up with denatured alcohol and put it back together but adding more stuff from the other units I have sitting around (3 expansion cards, an additional disk and two disc drives).

Today, I got to remembering how, when I tried to install Linux on that machine before I had all kind of problems and it would not complete the install (I had tried like 5 different distos at that time). It then sat for months, until now. I also remembered what someone said to me recently regarding those install problems and that he had said they were running across a lot of HP machines where there was some problem between the system clock and the clock in Linux.

I got to looking over the specs for my mobo again on HP's site . . .

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00496280&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=1843604

. . . and I saw that there is instructions at the bottom of that page on clearing cmos using a jumper on the mobo. I put 2 and 2 together (so I thought) and followed the procedure (for both clearing cmos and password - 2 separate jumpers).

When I turn the machine on it get no output to the display at all and all it does is the fans run like a bat out of hell. When I try to use the power button to shut down it does not respond. I have had to remove the power cord from the back of the machine to power off.

At first, I realized the RAM I have was not installed and I made sure to insert it. I powered on again but with the same result. I have been over and over every plug, cable, those jumpers and everything else I can think of and nothing seems to be out of place. I don't know what to do here. I was just now about to get going on this. I connected all the peripherals and the power cord and was ready to begin - but now this. I'm completely out of ideas unless I see something on google, one of you guys has a suggestion, or there is something I overlooked and somehow find it.

This sux!
ClientAlive
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it. Well, it wasn't me. The thing sat for a few minutes, I found a plug I didn't realize I'd missed, tried it with that plugged in but no change, it sat some more; and, don't ask me why, but when I powered it up again it was a go. Got into my bios setup and all the major stuff seems to be recognized. Just need to dial it in now and get going on this Gentoo build. I'm working on it.

Thanks guys.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: