NTFS files missing
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phobos13013
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: NTFS files missing Reply with quote

Not sure where to post this so I put it in here. But, I know anecdotaly this is a problem with NTFS, though my understanding is that write works with NTFS so I used to it recently in the following context.

First I had a multi-partition drive (8 total with extended partition counted) that had an old Gentoo working on it and a separate storage partition (both ext3) with a dual boot into Windows which had two storage partitions (all ntfs). The Gentoo drive went into disrepair so I only used the Windows for awhile. I eventually borked the Windows sys files but the partition and the hard drive itself are still sound. So when I went to recover the Gentoo partition I copied all the files I wanted to recover from the ext3 onto one of the storage NTFS drives via the liveCD and then reinstalled Gentoo. As far as I could tell at the time, all the files on that partition were fine.

Once Gentoo was operational, I proceeded to have the NTFS storage partition mount via fstab using ntfs-3g and now that I go to look at the files, entire sub-folders under the historically-NTFS written parent folder are missing, quite a lot of them too. As far as I can tell, everything in the folder written from the ext3 folder is fine. The other NTFS folder that wasnt written to is fine. Is this something that happens commonly? Should you not write from ext3 to NTFS, is the ntfs write support only for NTFS to NTFS? Is there a way to recover the portions of the NTFS-written folder?

Any info is appreciated...
phobos13013
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I realize now that it was my media player, Clementine that has done this. When I first ran the audio player I know it saw all those files... but now they are gone. Anyone have any experience with this? Or any experience in recovering them?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: