Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
GNOME2 - Running script with root privileges at login.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
divisionbyzero
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: GNOME2 - Running script with root privileges at login. Reply with quote

Hey, I have created a python daemon (a basic power management program) and one of the things it does is write integers (0-10) to /sys/class/backlight/..../brightness... so as to change the screen brightness. This file is owned by the root and I cannot change that.

In the python daemon, I call the short script 'change_brightness.py' that handles writing these integers to the above brightness file. When I call this script I call it with the sudo command. [ Popen('sudo', 'python', 'change_brightness.py') - no password required by the way ]

This works perfectly, and once I'm logged in, I can call change_brightness.py and it will change the brightness accordingly.
However, when I run my daemon while logging in to Gnome (using startup applications), for some reason the change_brightness.py script is not called successfully with root privileges. The daemon starts up and keeps running in the background, but it's useless because it can't call any of its scripts successfully as root.
salahx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brightness can be controlled via xrandr, so you shouldn't need the daemon.

Otherwise, if that won't work, you could solve this the way many applications have: Rewrite your daemon a D-Bus service.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: