Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
mplayer2 doesn't support Blu-ray subtitles?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter4
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: mplayer2 doesn't support Blu-ray subtitles? Reply with quote

Hi

I have a mkv file with Blu-ray subtitles included. They play fine in 'regular' mplayer, but mplayer2 only says
Code:
[mkv] Subtitle type 'S_HDMV/PGS' is not supported.
[mkv] Track ID 3: subtitles (S_HDMV/PGS), -sid 0, -slang eng
[mkv] Track ID 4: subtitles (S_HDMV/PGS), -sid 1, -slang pol

Is there something wrong with the ebuild? Or my USE flags? Or maybe mplayer2 simply doesn't support them?

Code:
# emerge mplayer mplayer2 -pv

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R    ] media-video/mplayer-1.0_rc4_p20110322  USE="X a52 aalib alsa amr ass bluray* cddb cdparanoia dirac dts dv dvd dvdnav enca encode faac faad gif iconv jpeg ladspa libcaca live lzo mad mmx mmxext mng mp3 network openal opengl osdmenu png quicktime rar real rtc schroedinger sdl shm speex sse sse2 ssse3 theora toolame tremor truetype twolame unicode vdpau vorbis x264 xscreensaver xv xvid xvmc -3dnow -3dnowext (-altivec) (-aqua) -bidi -bindist -bl -bs2b -cdio -cpudetection -custom-cpuopts -debug -dga -directfb -doc -dvb -dxr3 -esd -fbcon -ftp -ggi -gsm -ipv6 -jack -joystick -jpeg2k -libmpeg2 -lirc -md5sum -mpg123 -nas -nut -oss -pnm -pulseaudio -pvr -radio -rtmp -samba -tga -v4l -v4l2 (-vidix) -vpx (-win32codecs) -xanim -xinerama -zoran" VIDEO_CARDS="-mga -s3virge -tdfx -vesa" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] media-video/mplayer2-2.0  USE="X a52 aalib alsa ass bluray cddb cdparanoia dts dv dvd dvdnav enca faad gif iconv jpeg ladspa libcaca live mad mmx mmxext mng mp3 network opengl osdmenu png quicktime rar rtc sdl shm speex sse sse2 ssse3 theora truetype unicode vdpau vorbis xscreensaver xv xvid xvmc -3dnow -3dnowext (-altivec) (-aqua) -bidi -bindist -bl -bs2b -cdio -cpudetection -custom-cflags -custom-cpuopts -debug -dga -directfb -doc -dvb -dxr3 -esd -fbcon -ftp -ggi -ipv6 -jack -joystick -lirc -md5sum -nas -nut -oss -pnm -pulseaudio -pvr -radio (-real) -samba -tga -v4l -v4l2 (-win32codecs) -xanim -xinerama" VIDEO_CARDS="-mga -s3virge -tdfx -vesa" 0 kB
dufeu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: mplayer2 doesn't support Blu-ray subtitles? Reply with quote

peter4 wrote:
Hi

I have a mkv file with Blu-ray subtitles included. They play fine in 'regular' mplayer, but mplayer2 only says
Code:
[mkv] Track ID 3: subtitles (S_HDMV/PGS), -sid 0, -slang eng
[mkv] Track ID 4: subtitles (S_HDMV/PGS), -sid 1, -slang pol

Is there something wrong with the ebuild? Or my USE flags? Or maybe mplayer2 simply doesn't support them?

From the mplayer2 comparison website:
Code:
Other differences that may surprise people used to MPlayer 1
Subtitle rendering uses libass by default
Using libass to render subtitles gives better font rendering and styling support, but on the other hand some subtitle options may not work as before or at all. The video filter needed to draw libass subtitles with video output drivers that do not directly support rendering them may also cause problems in some rare cases (videos with unusual colorspaces). If you encounter problems you can use the "-noass" option to use the old subtitle rendering functionality.

I'm assuming that you need to add '-noass' to the command invocation of mplayer2.
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PGS are picture subtitles, like DVD subs. ass vs. noass has no relevance, because ass deals with text subtitles.

It's more likely that it's an issue of demuxer. MPlayer uses lavf by default to demux mkv files, while MPlayer2 uses an internal demuxer. peter4, try with
Code:
mplayer -demuer lavf file.mkv
peter4
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I solved it by installing a newer version from multimedia overlay. I'm still not sure what the actual problem was though.
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm assuming that you need to add '-noass' to the command invocation of mplayer2.

-noass, no shit !

What a cool name for an option. ;)
peter4
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

media-libs/libass, I love that name too.

IMHO it can only be rivaled by sci-astronomy/sextractor :D
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Avisynth, there's "AssRender: inappropriately named subtitles renderer".

I wonder who's bright idea was is to name a format that (it stands for Advanced SubStation btw, the successor to the SubStation Alpha format).
pkmatth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gusar wrote:
PGS are picture subtitles, like DVD subs. ass vs. noass has no relevance, because ass deals with text subtitles.

It's more likely that it's an issue of demuxer. MPlayer uses lavf by default to demux mkv files, while MPlayer2 uses an internal demuxer. peter4, try with
Code:
mplayer -demuer lavf file.mkv

I was having the same problem as OP with same error message. Gusar's tip worked for me, but just realize he meant -demuxer.

Thanks Gusar.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: