Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Any hints to buy new completely intel free hardware?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Any hints to buy new completely intel free hardware? Reply with quote

I had my issues in the past with snd_hda_intel, intel_gpus, intel platform controller hub and intel speedstep technology.

How can i determine before buying an am4 mainboard with x570 chipset that the mainboard, soundcard, networking and graphic card is completely intel free? How can I determine before buying that the bios implementation is working and not broken as for example on many intel based notebooks?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roman_Gruber.

The X570 is an AMD platform, so most of these issues go away.

snd-hda-intel is a specification Much like AC'97 which it replaced. The problems stem from different implementers interpreting the specification differently, which makes ALSA job difficult.
In short, you probably can't avoid that in the on board sound chip.

The work around is a plug in sound card ... but most of them are snd-hda-intel too.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Any hints to buy new completely intel free hardware? Reply with quote

Roman_Gruber wrote:
I had my issues in the past with snd_hda_intel, intel_gpus, intel platform controller hub and intel speedstep technology.

How can i determine before buying an am4 mainboard with x570 chipset that the mainboard, soundcard, networking and graphic card is completely intel free? How can I determine before buying that the bios implementation is working and not broken as for example on many intel based notebooks?
Product specs and possibly the product manual. Other than "not Inel," make a list of what you would like, then check the specs / manual.

For example, the first result when I searched for an x570 was an Asus X570+. The description mentions that the wireless is Intel and the audio uses Realtek S1200A Codec. There's a version that does not have wireless hardware, so you could verify which audio driver would be used.

If you start with 3 choices and discover they all use something from Intel, then pick 3 more. If you run out of options, pick the one with the least problematic Intel component. You could choose one with Intel wireless and then not use the wireless hardware.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASUS Prime X570-Pro It has the sound chip NeddySeagoon mentioned and an Intel Lan (which works flawlessly)

I run a low power nouveau card, GeForce GT1030. if you game or do graphic design you probably want something more powerful (and power hungry).
Just works with the nouveau driver built as a module. To be honest, I haven't tried sound yet. The computer is still in the basement workshop but i can log in via ssh and remote X and do everything. If you buy it, I'll be glad to pastebin my kernel config.
Intel LAN's are widely recognized as premium. I think your beef is with Intel CPU's and/or video.
Warning, expensive. But I plan on using this mobo for at least ten years. It will probably outlast me.

My last Intel CPU was the 486DX-100
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
ASUS Prime X570-Pro It has the sound chip NeddySeagoon mentioned and an Intel Lan (which works flawlessly)

If I had to choose one to avoid from ASUS or Intel then it would be ASUS indeed, several disappointments from them followed by my personal ban. Intel NIC OTOH is the very best out there.
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you call "problems", the things you had with Intel, you probably hadn't had real problems with something like nvidia ION (nvidia in general), Marvell chips, some crappy usb 3.0 controllers not by Intel (circa. 2010), Broadcom wireless etc. Intel is not the worst offender here and generally well supported (including GPU), their LAN chips are actually one of the best.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
If I had to choose one to avoid from ASUS or Intel then it would be ASUS indeed, several disappointments from them followed by my personal ban. Intel NIC OTOH is the very best out there.

Haven't had it long so i can't speak to longevity but performance is great and it booted fine too. original boot from CDROM. i had a little trouble migrating to refind from grib legacy (didn't find the kernels) but that was solved by enabling several three I thik) UEFI options in the kernel. Then refind found it and it booted fine, including X.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expensive mobo vs. cheap, I do not pay for features I do not use. More expensive boards can handle multiple graphics cards and offer superior data throughput and FPS, means nothing for me. They may have more SATA ports and more USB ports. Couldn't care less. Two drives in my current desktop is already one too many. I have plenty of USB ports for my needs. There are ways to add more should I need, but I don't. My ASRock H270M Pro4 is rather old, survived a week long flood in my house and is still going strong. Yes, it was under water for 7 days in 2016. :twisted: I don't remember how much did it cost, but I'm sure it was a cheap one. :P (I think I paid at least four times more for my server Supermicro mobo.)
CooSee
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASUS is awful - to expensive and poor support - bad BIOS.

i don't know much about AMD systems - most things in these days are 'overhyped' anyway, imho.

i always used Intel systems, because Intel is stable and just works.

my Intel® Xeon(R) CPU E3-1245 v5 system on MSI mainboard (C236A) with 32GB RAM is stable as hell, even if compiling 24h.

and it's working great as 'hackintosh' too 8)

and yes, most of the companies are lying about security anyway.

oh, i have actually a AMD Graphics Card (Radeon RX 590) and it is the most annoying Card i ever bought - sometimes glitches here and there, from the first start.

and all the prizes nowadays are shameless :!:

i payed only 643 € for mainboard + cpu + 32GB ram (4 years ago).

don't belive the hype.

just my two cents.
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using an ASUS tuf Ggaming X570-plus wifi (I didn't need the wifi, but the shop I got it from was out of the non-wifi boards, and the bluetooth is occaisionaly useful). No problems; the BIOS is easy to use and works; I've updated it a few times, on the principle that is was a very new MB at the time I bought it. Its set up as UEFI booting, secure boot turned off, into GRUB as a boot manager. The cpu is a Ryzen 2 3900X, and an old RX470 graphics card, so as far as I could, it's all AMD.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
I've been using an ASUS tuf Ggaming X570-plus wifi (I didn't need the wifi, but the shop I got it from was out of the non-wifi boards, and the bluetooth is occaisionaly useful). No problems; the BIOS is easy to use and works; I've updated it a few times, on the principle that is was a very new MB at the time I bought it. Its set up as UEFI booting, secure boot turned off, into GRUB as a boot manager. The cpu is a Ryzen 2 3900X, and an old RX470 graphics card, so as far as I could, it's all AMD.

Similar experience, same CPU, using refind not grub, and nouveau card instead of radeon. my only beef with radeon is the work involved in getting the right microcode installed. Nouveau "just works". Again, I don't game and don't watch 4K video, rarely watch HD video. Updating BIOS was not quite as easy as with MSI (MSI guides you every step of the way) but MUCH easier than Gigabyte who want Windows or DOS floppy to update. OTOH, Gigabyte Dual BIOS is a good backstop.

I have an MSI 2700X system as well. But they screwed me on the rebate. Took nearly a year to get it. I didn't choose them for the rebate but since they had it, their cavalier treatment leaves lingering resentment.

I have an ASUS power supply too. Hardware reviews say it's a Seasonic with beefed up components. Actually, I would have bought the Seasonic (cheaper) but it was out of stock.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a socket 939 Biostar mobo running Windows 7 24/7 right now. it's so old It needs a PATA drive to boot, although it have a SATA-1 connecter for storage only. This is a cheap brand but runs very well. I have no idea whether Biostar recent boards are any good.
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
... my only beef with radeon is the work involved in getting the right microcode installed. ...

What problem? My RX570, and I think most recent ones, use the standard linux firmware loading - either install the driver as a module (in which case it gets loaded when the module loads), or build it into the kernel and set the appropriate firmware settings in the kernel configuration (as per the wiki). OK, you have to read the tables carefully to decide which firmware you want (e.g. my RX570 is a POLARIS10), but once it's done it's done.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
Tony0945 wrote:
... my only beef with radeon is the work involved in getting the right microcode installed. ...

What problem? My RX570, and I think most recent ones, use the standard linux firmware loading - either install the driver as a module (in which case it gets loaded when the module loads), or build it into the kernel and set the appropriate firmware settings in the kernel configuration (as per the wiki). OK, you have to read the tables carefully to decide which firmware you want (e.g. my RX570 is a POLARIS10), but once it's done it's done.

Yes, deciphering which firmware to load is the problem, yes, it's on the wiki. But if you never ran radeon before, it's a bit bewildering. A few passes and I got it right. Much easier to just select CONFIG_NOUVEAU=m and you're done.

Of course if you have a demanding use case, then you get into nvidia-drivers and that happy horseshit. I had to do that a dozen years ago and switched to nouveau when the card was finally supported. But then, I don't demand resolution any better than a 1980's color television.

Never had an Intel video so I don't know how good or easy those drivers are. I have had Intel LAN cards and their performance was slightly better than realtek built-in.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, appreciated.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know what you decided on. inquiring minds want to know.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: