A couple of questions [console fonts, System.map and others]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joffer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:41 am    Post subject: A couple of questions [console fonts, System.map and others] Reply with quote

I'm using framebuffer (rivafb & vesafb) using 1280x1024-24@85, and I'm looking for some nice fonts for the console. It's no "default-8x16", I've tried "default8x9" which was a bit to small, maybe a 8x12 would have done the trick.. but instead of trying out most of the fonts in the ../consolefonts/ folder I'm askin here to save time.. which would you recommend? I'm using norwegian keyboard, and a euro symbol would be a bonus, but not so important.

What is 'System.map' good for? (The file is in /usr/src/linux after you have compiled a kernel). I'm using grub as bootloader, and /boot is on 'noauto'. Is it only for debugging kernel oops (ref this post)? Can I just disregard it (not move/cp it to /boot)?

Where do I put global system aliases? I used to put them in /etc/bashrc in other distros..

In /boot, there is a symlink (./boot) to /boot, which would loop forever or so it seems. Is it nessesary? Whats the purpose?
Edit: Thinking about the ./boot symlink in /boot.. is it to make "/boot/kernel-image" instead of just "/kernel-image" work (to boot linux) when using grub and /boot on it's own partition?

What does DirectFB and XDirectFB do? Since I'm using framebuffer at my console (just console so far (I'm going to emerge X later..)), should I emerge it? What good will it do me?
pixie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alt-8x16 is a console font I like. I assume you can get your € symbol by finding the right keymap but I've never tried.

yeah, system.map can be safely ignored.

your system wide aliases belong in /etc/profile.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: