XBMC 10.1 and MPEG4 playback issues
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oracleguy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: XBMC 10.1 and MPEG4 playback issues Reply with quote

I recently upgraded my HTPC from XBMC 9.11 to 10.1 (finally) and everything worked except MPEG4 playback (DivX & XVID files). They would play fine as long as I didn't seek or use the resume feature in XBMC. If did either the audio would lose sync by around 0.3 seconds from the video. Not much but noticeable and highly annoying.

After doing some testing I figured out that the h264 (w/vdpau) and the MPEG2 decoders did not have this problem. As a test I installed XBMC 10.1 on my laptop to see if it had the same issue and it did.

On a hunch I tried upgrading ffmpeg from 0.7-rc1 to 0.7.2 (which is currently soft masked) and it solved the problem for me on both my HTPC and my laptop. My HTPC is running the x86 arch and my laptop is using amd64. The best I can figure is there was some bug in ffmpeg.

Both machines have nvidia graphics cards and my htpc uses gcc 4.3 and my laptop is on gcc 4.4. (In case that is relevant) And both machines are fully up to date with all packages.

I just wanted to post this here in case anyone else runs into a similar problem.
monty
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: XBMC 10.1 and MPEG4 playback issues Reply with quote

oracleguy wrote:
On a hunch I tried upgrading ffmpeg from 0.7-rc1 to 0.7.2 (which is currently soft masked) and it solved the problem for me on both my HTPC and my laptop.

That worked for me. Many thanks for the fix. Having to constantly adjust for the delay was driving me nuts.

Monty
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: