Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
I got bored of trying to install gnome 3...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salemixu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: I got bored of trying to install gnome 3... Reply with quote

Hi people!

I'm trying to emerge gnome3 and when configuring clutter it tells something like this:

Code:
checking for CLUTTER_DEPS... configure: error: Package requirements (cogl-1.0 >= 1.7.5 cairo-gobject >= 1.10 atk >= 1.17 pangocairo >= 1.20 cogl-pango-1.0 json-glib-1.0 >= 0.12.0  gl libdrm x11 xext xfixes >= 3 xdamage xcomposite >= 0.4 xi) were not met:

Requested 'cogl-1.0 >= 1.7.5' but version of COGL is 1.6.16
No package 'cogl-pango-1.0' found

I have been searching for the cogl package but I can't find anywhere to emerge it. It seems to be in the gnome overlay and in zugaina overlay, but I've got both and the package isn't there :/

-----

I finally installed manually from the webpage cogl and clutter, and at the moment was ok. But now there's this gnome-screensaver error:

Code:
checking for GNOME_SCREENSAVER... configure: error: Package requirements (x11 >= 1.0
        gtk+-3.0 >= 2.99.3
        dbus-glib-1 >= 0.30
        gnome-desktop-3.0 >= 2.91.5
        upower-glib >= 0.9.13
        gsettings-desktop-schemas >= 0.1.7) were not met:

Requested 'upower-glib >= 0.9.13' but version of upower-glib is 0.9.12

And as it seems... there no build of 0.9.13 :s

-----

OK... I used the git version and installed fine, now an issue with EOG and glib too old. Updating...

----

It emerged and so on... but every time there's any issue with every package... I don't like installing things like this... That's not what I was expecting of Gentoo.

Isn't there any other overlay elsewhere?
Thistled
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that is what is likely to happen when you pull in packages from overlays which are not fully tested.
You will likely encounter problems.
You really shouldn't apportion the blame to Gentoo, it's not fair on the guys who deal with the tree.
If you hit a bug, then file it with the maintainer.

I hit the same problem with cogl, and it transpires I needed to go one step further and start using **9999. Which I am not a big fan of, as I know it can cause a sore head, that's the point when you really should know the ins and outs of how gentoo works, cause if it borks, it WILL bork.

I suggest you downgrade to Arch Linux, it's in binary form, and you won't encounter half as much sore heads as you seem to be experiencing just now.
I have installed Gnome3 on 2 Arch systems, and they are running sweet.
I also have gnome3 running sweet on gentoo.
If you have acquired the "knowledge", then getting it up and running on Gentoo should not be a massive problem.
Just keep us guys posted, and we will try to help as much as we can, tis after all, what these forums are for.
Salemixu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Thanks for the reply, I was starting to feel alone :p

Perhaps it's the tone, but I didn't mean to blame gentoo. I only was deceived as I like Gentoo a lot, and it has always been known for being bleeding edge, with all new apps running. And now I try to get Gnome3 working... and it's frustrating.

I know the maintainer of the overlay has it somewhat abandonned, but on the main tree there could be some ebuilds too. OK, i've read that they won't put any ebuilds until it's stable enough... but shouldn't it be decision of the users to install an unstable package?

I have some packages on unstable, with ** and using svn ( version 9999 as you said too), and I'm happy with them, I have a lot of functionality and performance. The only caveat is that lately that bleeding edge distro is no longer so bleeding edge.

I have learnt lots of things with Gentoo, and I love the community being so helpful (most of the times, perhaps I have some big unfixable issues so anyone answer some posts...).

And well, about Arch Linux, I've thought on trying it, I installed it once on a very old laptop for testing, and was cool, but I got so used to Gentoo that I didn't feel at home with Arch.

Thanks again, and regards :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: