Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How to make a grub ISO boot memory stick?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pgu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: How to make a grub ISO boot memory stick? Reply with quote

Not installing gentoo.., but how can I create a grub based USB memory stick I can use to boot ISO files like the XBMC live ISO (similar to grub4dos)?

I would like to create the memory stick from gentoo though.

It's an last attempt to see if I can get XBMC to run more than an hour or so. emerging or building XBMC from source (using git 10.1-Dharma tag) has resulted one of the most unstable pieces of software I've used under gentoo :(
pgu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like the XBMC ISO can be added using:

Code:
menuentry "XBMC ERR" {
 loopback loop /boot/iso/XBMCLive.iso
 linux (loop)/vmlinuz boot=cd isofrom=/dev/sda1/boot/iso/XBMCLive.iso xbmc=nvidia,nodiskmount,tempfs,setvolume loglevel=0 --
 initrd (loop)/initrd0.img
}

Hence my next problem is how to install GRUB2 on a USB memory stick under gentoo?
pgu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to include the above in the 40_custom script and use the commands given in http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Grub2, but it resulted in a GRUB hard disk error when I booted from the memory stick...
pgu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know if it's possible to boot a plain ISO file only using GRUB2?

I keep getting "error: out of disk." when I boot from the memory stick.
pgu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also (from the grub rescue> prompt)

Code:
ls /
./ ../ lost_found/ grub/ iso/

but
Code:
ls /grub
error: out of disk.

ls /iso
error: out of disk.

However mounting the memory stick on a different machine shows files in both /grub and /iso.
nativemad
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pgu wrote:
Does anybody know if it's possible to boot a plain ISO file only using GRUB2?

I keep getting "error: out of disk." when I boot from the memory stick.

Yes, it is possible! I actually wrote the patch for genkernel to support that under gentoo! :wink:

Have a look here:
http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manual-en_Easy_install_SystemRescueCd_on_harddisk#Boot_the_ISO_image_from_the_disk_using_Grub2

HTH, Cheers
pgu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply, but that looks very similar to my menuentry shown above which I'm struggling with. I don't know why I can't see the contents of the directories in the grub2 rescue prompt either. Maybe I'm missing some modules?
pgu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also tried to move the ISO file to the root of the file system so now I can see it using ls from the rescue prompt. I've also tried to fix the paths to the kernel inside the ISO, which appears to be wrong (I got it form the xbmc.org site initially). This is what I have now (40_custom), but I still get the out of disk error:

Code:
set default=0
set timeout=5
set root=(hd0,1)

menuentry "XBMC ERR" {
 loopback loop /xbmc-10.1-live.iso
 linux (loop)/live/vmlinuz boot=cd isofrom=xbmc-10.1-live.iso xbmc=nvidia,nodiskmount,tempfs,setvolume loglevel=0 --
 initrd (loop)/live/initrd.img
}
nativemad
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link that i posted describes it for a gentoo based distro... and for the record, it is isoloop= and not isofrom= like you have it!
But the xmbc-live-distro is based on ubuntu!! According to https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-in/2010-April/007648.html it would be iso-scan/filename= for ubuntu, but honestly i do not know if the xmbc folks are using the stock ubuntu kernel/initrd and if it will ever work that way....

I wonder what you are doing that xmbc crashes!? I haven't seen any problems with it!?
BTW: the gentoo live dvd also has xbmc on it! :wink:
pgu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nativemad wrote:
The link that i posted describes it for a gentoo based distro... and for the record, it is isoloop= and not isofrom= like you have it!:

I've tried isofrom, isoloop, iso-scan/filename, and findiso. All resulted in: "out of disk". I don't know which is better.

It seem to depend upon whatever is supported by the grub version and the modules loaded. According to http://michael-prokop.at/blog/2009/05/25/boot-an-iso-via-grub2/:

Quote:
findiso is a dynamic version of isofrom as it looks for the specified ISO file on all disks where it usually looks for the .squashfs file (so you don’t have to know the device name compared to isofrom=…). The above configuration using findiso is even easier to set up

nativemad wrote:

But the xmbc-live-distro is based on ubuntu!! According to https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-in/2010-April/007648.html it would be iso-scan/filename= for ubuntu, but honestly i do not know if the xmbc folks are using the stock ubuntu kernel/initrd and if it will ever work that way....

I've tried the iso-scan/filename without success. The problem might be elsewhere. I might try to make a different ISO boot stick using grub first to make sure the procedure is right.

nativemad wrote:

I wonder what you are doing that xmbc crashes!? I haven't seen any problems with it!?
BTW: the gentoo live dvd also has xbmc on it! :wink:

Playing a couple FLAC files, or watch a movie, will cause it to crash. It might not like the ION2. But I haven't had any problems with gentoo, mplayer, alsaplayer, amarok, banshee, etc. on the machines.

I've tried to use the portage version of xbmc as well as built it from the git source. Both are unstable. I wanted to give the live version a try since it's using Ubunto to see if that changes anything.
nativemad
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The parameter that should be used is dependant on the initscript implementation... debian derivates might use another option than ubuntu, and certainly another than gentoo! If the xbmc-livecd is using their own initrd, it is possibly not supported at all!

I can tell you first hand how it is done on gentoo derivates, as I wrote that initrd-part!
I can also tell you that my ion2 based xmbc-box works flawless with all kinds of video-files that i throw at it, although i normally just use it to watch tv (x264 over a "tvheadend" server).

Personally, i would tend to say that your ffmpeg probably got screwed...
But i would first check the logfile at $HOME/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log! Perhaps you will see why it crashed... or is it the whole X-server that crashes??
pgu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nativemad wrote:
The parameter that should be used is dependant on the initscript implementation...

I thought it was used by grub2. But you're right. What you're saying makes sense since I've written some initrd scripts (for lvm and raid) so I can see that the kernel command line could be parsed there and mount the ISO files according to that.

nativemad wrote:
xbmc-livecd is using their own initrd, it is possibly not supported at all!

It might be, that most of the examples I've seen it's using isofrom like in http://www.panticz.de/MultiBootUSB. They might of course be plain wrong (since they are called ERR?)

However my problem seem to occur way before any initrd scripts are run. It might not even get passed the loading if the initrd part. It's also odd that I can't peek into the root directores using ls from the rescue prompt.

nativemad wrote:
I can also tell you that my ion2 based xmbc-box works flawless with all kinds of video-files that i throw at it, although i normally just use it to watch tv (x264 over a "tvheadend" server).

That's good to know.

nativemad wrote:
Personally, i would tend to say that your ffmpeg probably got screwed...

I've simply emerged it. The problems are the same on two different machines. Gento has been installed about six months apart.
Here's my use flags if you can spot any problems.
Code:
[ebuild   R    ] media-video/ffmpeg-0.7_rc1  USE="3dnow 3dnowext X aac alsa bzip2 encode hardcoded-tables mmx mmxext mp3 sdl ssse3 truetype v4l v4l2 vdpau vorbis x264 xvid zlib (-altivec) -amr -avx -bindist (-celt) -cpudetection -custom-cflags -debug -dirac -doc -faac -frei0r -gsm -ieee1394 -jack -jpeg2k -network -oss -pic -qt-faststart -rtmp -schroedinger -speex -static-libs -test -theora -threads -vaapi -vpx" VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia" 0 kB

nativemad wrote:

But i would first check the logfile at $HOME/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log! Perhaps you will see why it crashed... or is it the whole X-server that crashes??

I just deleted hundres of xbmc_crashlog files, but they usually does not contain any useful information.

Code:
############## XBMC CRASH LOG ###############

################ SYSTEM INFO ################
 Date: Sat Aug 27 14:36:21 CEST 2011
 XBMC Options:
 Arch: i686
 Kernel: Linux 2.6.39-gentoo-r3 #1 SMP Thu Aug 18 15:01:42 CEST 2011
 Release:
    LSB Version:        n/a
    Distributor ID:     Gentoo
    Description:        Gentoo Base System release 2.0.3
    Release:    2.0.3
    Codename:   n/a
############## END SYSTEM INFO ##############

############### STACK TRACE #################
############# END STACK TRACE ###############

################# LOG FILE ##################

21:05:14 T:3010185008 M:1951449088  NOTICE: -----------------------------------------------------------------------
21:05:14 T:3010185008 M:1951313920  NOTICE: Starting XBMC, Platform: Linux (Gentoo Base System release 2.0.3, 2.6.39-gentoo-r3 i686). Built on Aug 18 2011 (Git:Unknown)
14:31:27 T:3010185008 M:1893175296 WARNING: Cleanup: Having to cleanup texture black-back.png
14:31:27 T:3010185008 M:1893175296 WARNING: Cleanup: Having to cleanup texture floor.png
14:31:27 T:3010185008 M:1893175296 WARNING: Cleanup: Having to cleanup texture ContentPanel.png

############### END LOG FILE ################

############ END XBMC CRASH LOG #############

On the TV there will usually be a message about segment violation in the xbmc binary.
nativemad
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've still got ffmpeg-0.6_p25767 on that box currently... But i've got threads, theora and rtmp enabled, while sdl, v4l, v4l2 are all disabled here. I also enabled cpudetection.

There is an option in xbmc to increase the debug level... :wink:

About the boot issue...
do you also have grub2 on your boot-harddisk??
If it is just on usb, then the "set root=(hd0,1)" might not point to a valid grub location!
pgu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nativemad wrote:
I've still got ffmpeg-0.6_p25767 on that box currently... But i've got threads, theora and rtmp enabled, while sdl, v4l, v4l2 are all disabled here. I also enabled cpudetection.

Again, thanks for the info. I would like to give the live/ubuntu a try. If that works I could look into tuning my gentoo builds.

nativemad wrote:

I've seen the button which enables onscreen debugging info, but that shows only the load while its running and it disappears when xbmc crashes. Or are you thinking about some other debug level?

nativemad wrote:

do you also have grub2 on your boot-harddisk??
If it is just on usb, then the "set root=(hd0,1)" might not point to a valid grub location!

No I'm using only legacy grub on the boot-hard drive on this machine.

I thought that set root=(hd0,1) is only used by the grub2 scripts at boot time (i.e. when I boot the script). It seems like grub2 is only collecting the grub init scripts in /etc/grub.d/ to build grub.cfg. The machine where I'm testing the memory stick is diskless. Grub2 has not touched my legacy boot-harddisk on the machine where I'm generating the memory stick, but it has installed itself on the USB memory stick.
nativemad
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pgu wrote:

nativemad wrote:

I've seen the button which enables onscreen debugging info, but that shows only the load while its running and it disappears when xbmc crashes. Or are you thinking about some other debug level?

Yes, this option not only displays on screen! It also creates a quite verbose debug log!

pgu wrote:

No I'm using only legacy grub on the boot-hard drive on this machine.

I thought that set root=(hd0,1) is only used by the grub2 scripts at boot time (i.e. when I boot the script). It seems like grub2 is only collecting the grub init scripts in /etc/grub.d/ to build grub.cfg. The machine where I'm testing the memory stick is diskless. Grub2 has not touched my legacy boot-harddisk on the machine where I'm generating the memory stick, but it has installed itself on the USB memory stick.

You are right about /etc/grub.d and grub.cfg. But grub also needs some further programs (stages), normally located under /boot/grub/... This is the root(hd-thing).
So if grub2 is on the first partition of the usb-stick and there is no other device attached, then it should be "set root(hd0,0)"!!

Honestly, i would hook up an usb cdrom (or an internal one temporary) to just try the xmbc-live, instead of messing around and don't even know if it is possible at all...
Once again: the gentoo live dvd supports booting from an iso and also ships xbmc! :wink:
pgu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nativemad wrote:
It also creates a quite verbose debug l

I can try that and see if it gives me any hints in the log file.

I don't think that ffmpeg is the problem, at least not the only problem as xbmc will crash without playing any video, simply by playing flac audio files. Unless ffmpeg is used by some GUI animation etc.

nativemad wrote:
You are right about /etc/grub.d and grub.cfg. But grub also needs some further programs (stages), normally located under /boot/grub/... This is the root(hd-thing).
So if grub2 is on the first partition of the usb-stick and there is no other device attached, then it should be "set root(hd0,0)"!!

No that's not correct for grub2. According to:

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html

"Partition numbers in GRUB device names now start at 1, not 0 (see Naming convention)."

I have the boot file system on the first partition which should be 1.

The other programs (all the modules etc.) were installed on the memory stick using grub-install. I can see them if I mount the stick. There are no stages in grub2.

nativemad wrote:
Honestly, i would hook up an usb cdrom (or an internal one temporary) to just try the xmbc-live, instead of messing around and don't even know if it is possible at all...
Once again: the gentoo live dvd supports booting from an iso and also
ships xbmc! :wink:

Unfortunately somebody has borrowed my USB CDROM and not returned it yet. I would like to try the ubuntu live version first. But if it's too much hassle with grub2 I'll get a friend with a Windows PC create the xbmc live memory stick for me...
nativemad
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pgu wrote:

I don't think that ffmpeg is the problem, at least not the only problem as xbmc will crash without playing any video, simply by playing flac audio files. Unless ffmpeg is used by some GUI animation etc.

I don't know how the thumbnails are generated... ffmpeg was just a guess... it could also be the x server or faulty ram or something.

pgu wrote:

nativemad wrote:

No that's not correct for grub2. According to:

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html

"Partition numbers in GRUB device names now start at 1, not 0 (see Naming convention)."

I have the boot file system on the first partition which should be 1.

Autsch!! I don't know which one is true now!?https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-in/2010-April/007648.html & http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Grub2 still have it the other way around!?!

pgu wrote:

The other programs (all the modules etc.) were installed on the memory stick using grub-install. I can see them if I mount the stick. There are no stages in grub2.
Ok, they are not called stages anymore! :P But grub needs to find it... Do you even see the Grub menu if you boot the stick?? If not, then it would indicate that this "set (hd,thing)" would be wrong! (This info is written to the mbr of a disk which get executed at boot through the bios.
That mbr is normally just a few bytes large, so without the right (hd) info/path, you will end up with a screwed grub-prompt/failure, as the further infos couldn't get fetched [the menuentries and the actual grub executable]).

pgu wrote:

Unfortunately somebody has borrowed my USB CDROM and not returned it yet. I would like to try the ubuntu live version first. But if it's too much hassle with grub2 I'll get a friend with a Windows PC create the xbmc live memory stick for me...
Have you tried the win-tool through wine? I've had luck the last time with a samsung-firmware-tool! :P
pgu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nativemad wrote:
I don't know how the thumbnails are generated... ffmpeg was just a guess... it could also be the x server or faulty ram or something.

Like I mentioned earlier the machines are rock solid when running all other software, including X11. Also it's not very likely that both machines have faulty RAM. They are two different machines from different vendors (ASUS and Zotac), but more and less have the same architecture (Atom and ION2)

nativemad wrote:
Autsch!! I don't know which one is true now!?https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-in/2010-April/007648.html & http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Grub2 still have it the other way around!?!

Both the links you refer to are correct. Drives starts at zero, partitions starts at one.

nativemad wrote:
Ok, they are not called stages anymore! :P But grub needs to find it... Do you even see the Grub menu if you boot the stick?? If not, then it would indicate that this "set (hd,thing)" would be wrong! (This info is written to the mbr of a disk which get executed at boot through the bios.
That mbr is normally just a few bytes large, so without the right (hd) info/path, you will end up with a screwed grub-prompt/failure, as the further infos couldn't get fetched [the menuentries and the actual grub executable]).

I just got the grub2 rescue prompt where I can only see the root of the drive using ls. However, I the problem seem to be related to the machine I was using for testing as I can at least get to the grub2 boot menu on a more modern machine, even though I have not yet managed to boot xbmc live.

nativemad wrote:

Have you tried the win-tool through wine? I've had luck the last time with a samsung-firmware-tool! :P

Been a long time since I've used wine. Hopefully I get the grub2 method up and running, if not I get somebody's windows machine...

Thank you for your suggestions
nativemad
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pgu wrote:

Like I mentioned earlier the machines are rock solid when running all other software, including X11. Also it's not very likely that both machines have faulty RAM. They are two different machines from different vendors (ASUS and Zotac), but more and less have the same architecture (Atom and ION2)
Hmm... If i find the time, i'll update my box and see what happens!

pgu wrote:

Both the links you refer to are correct. Drives starts at zero, partitions starts at one.
You are right! It was probably a bit late over here!! :roll:

pgu wrote:

I just got the grub2 rescue prompt where I can only see the root of the drive using ls. However, I the problem seem to be related to the machine I was using for testing as I can at least get to the grub2 boot menu on a more modern machine, even though I have not yet managed to boot xbmc live.
Do you have any other devices attached on the first machine that could mess with the drive numbering like a card reader or something like that?
It would be interesting to see if the second machine also fails the same way, just before the appearance of the menu, if you replace it with (hd1,1) or something like that.

pgu wrote:

Been a long time since I've used wine. Hopefully I get the grub2 method up and running, if not I get somebody's windows machine...

Have you seen the package sys-boot/unetbootin? Isn't that what you need?
pgu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="nativemad"]
pgu wrote:

Do you have any other devices attached on the first machine that could mess with the drive numbering like a card reader or something like that?

The machine where I was doing the boot tests does not have anything in it. It's simply a VIA based mini-itx motherboard connected to a PSU and nothing else. It could be that the USB/ATA (or whatever is used for CD-ROM emulation) chipsets are not supported by grub2.

nativemad wrote:

Have you seen the package sys-boot/unetbootin? Isn't that what you need?

No. Sounds like something I should try. Thanks!
pgu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do get the grub2 boot menu when I test a third machine, also one without any diskdrives. My laptop which has an internal drive will also get the grub2 boot menu.

However, booting the xbmc iso file does not work. The screen only gets black... The md5sum of the iso file is correct according to some torrent post I found on the net. Also peeking into the initrd scripts the supported option seem to be
Code:
isofrom

I tried unetbootin, and I do get the boot menu when I test it, but after selecting Ubuntu it goes black just like the grub2 version.

If I select a predefined linux distro in unetbootin, like Ubuntu 11.04 I'm able to boot the live version from the memory stick. There are only old gentoo live versions listed in unetbootin.
nativemad
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baah... You seem to have no luck with anything here! :roll:

Could it be that it's just having issues with the framebuffer and just goes black instead of showing that it would boot actually?!
Try to disable the framebuffer via parameter! You can test these options on the fly via grub-menu editing (press e)
vga=normal or vga=791 or nofb and/or nomodeset

What is your goal at the end? Booting the two xbmc boxes via usb or disk or nfs? (just to know if you could ignore the one that isn't working at all with usb and grubs menu.)
pgu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did see a booting Ubuntu message and then it turned black so I should have a correct console.

My goal is to boot the xbmc live version from usb to check if it's more stable than my current setup. If it is then I will try to figure out the differences or simply go for ubuntu. If it's the same then xbmc does not play well with my hardware and then I'll try to find install something else.
nativemad
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pgu wrote:
I did see a booting Ubuntu message and then it turned black so I should have a correct console.

Isn't the "booting ubuntu" message more or less the same as "loading linux....". That would indicate it starts the kernel and blow up! Now, guess at what stage the framebuffer from the kernel gets loaded!?! https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FrameBuffer

pgu wrote:
My goal is to boot the xbmc live version from usb to check if it's more stable than my current setup. If it is then I will try to figure out the differences or simply go for ubuntu. If it's the same then xbmc does not play well with my hardware and then I'll try to find install something else.

So the end destination would be booting from a harddisk and we can ignore the usb-boot-problem-box!?

btw: i started updating my xbmc/ion2(asus) box now to see if i get the same problems... (made a backup before, just in case! ;-)
If i don't have problems with it , i could give you my make.conf/world-file, or a whole image if you like.
pgu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very generous. I managed to create the memory stick finally using http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/download under windows. I'll see how this performs.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: