Partition Resizing...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duck-Billed Platypus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:49 am    Post subject: Partition Resizing... Reply with quote

When my PC got the MSBLAST bug or whatever, I asked for Linux, pointing out that it wouldn't get bugs like that, but at the computer shop where I got my PC :evil: the guy said that Linux is only free because it's 'unusable' yet, you can't get on the internet, etc...So my dad told me never to talk about it again, or he'll trash the computer... And I have kept true to his word, so I'm wondering if I can somehow sneak it onto my computer. Are there any free downloadable partition-resizing software on the internet? I got DSL a few weeks ago... (ADSL, SBC Yahoo). If there aren't is Partition Magic reliable?
Kesereti
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you have access to a broadband connection, you could always download the Knoppix CD...it's a Linux distribution that can run entirely off the CD, without needing a hard drive partition...that could help you get familiar with Linux without having to incur the wrath of your father...
meowsqueak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Knoppix is probably what you're looking for here, or one of the similar CD distros.
CountZero
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch. A lot of anti-Linux sentiment around you. Glad you've decided to not to succumb to the dark side. :) Anyway, as people have noted there is KNOPPIX that boots from a cd, you can also run Zipslack, or if you're really daring there's Cygwin.

The last two will actually run off a windows FAT32 partition. Both are a little bit less supportive than KNOPPIX. But I thought you should know all you're options.

I hope that helps you get set in the right direction.
Gandalf_Grey_
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I was getting that kind of stuff from my parents, although this was when I was just playing around with windows quite dangerously.

I bought my own computer

then this august I bought another one

Both run linux.
aethyr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously look into getting your own computer. Even if it doesn't have the latest hardware, you and your father will be much happier in the long run.

half.com and ebay are both good places to pick up older machines for cheap (i.e. under $200).
drakonite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few linux distros that will run from fat32 partitions.
Dragon linux is one of them (and is based off slackware). At one time it looked very nice, but it appears it isn't being updated very much anymore...

Go grab knoppix though.. Let your dad see linux run from a cdrom, accessing the web, running openoffice, and everything else.

My GPG/PGP Public key
kermitjunior
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:33 am    Post subject: QTParted Reply with quote

QT Parted is on the knoppix cd. No guarantees, but it worked for me.

For resizing, I recommend Boot It NG

Basically, you can use floppy or bootable cd (I recommend), and resizing, created, delete... anything Partition Magic does. And it's free. I've had no problems with it (can't say that about PQ magic).

Barring that, I used to always use CD-1 from Mandrake. Just click through to partitions and do "Custom Partitions" Resize, etc.

Now, obviously Knoppix is great, but if you do install to harddrive, you either need to use a boot floppy or default 2 seconds on GRUB with a DOS or Windows splash screen (Might have a hard time explaining to your dad what the boot loader is). And don't label it "Linux" Label windows "Verifying Hard Drive Integrity" and Linux "Preparing to boot Windows"
Default the windows.

Hope that helps,
KJ
IBM 120GB (Linux), WD 30GB (WinDoze), ATI All-In-Wonder 128 Pro PCI
Vishruth
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Partition Resizing... Reply with quote

Duck-Billed Platypus wrote:
When my PC got the MSBLAST bug or whatever, I asked for Linux, pointing out that it wouldn't get bugs like that, but at the computer shop where I got my PC :evil: the guy said that Linux is only free because it's 'unusable' yet, you can't get on the internet, etc...So my dad told me never to talk about it again, or he'll trash the computer... And I have kept true to his word, so I'm wondering if I can somehow sneak it onto my computer. Are there any free downloadable partition-resizing software on the internet? I got DSL a few weeks ago... (ADSL, SBC Yahoo). If there aren't is Partition Magic reliable?

Where exactly do you live? If there is a LUG (Linux Users Group), you can ask for help there. I am sure many people in your local LUG will be happy to help you out here. You can check out the Linux OSes they use and get help on choosing the right Linux distribution for your needs, wants and taste.

:)
pzilla
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Partition Resizing... Reply with quote

When my PC got the MSBLAST bug or whatever, I asked for Linux, pointing out that it wouldn't get bugs like that, but at the computer shop where I got my PC :evil: the guy said that Linux is only free because it's 'unusable' yet, you can't get on the internet, etc...

That's funny. I was in a computer store thinking about buying a new computer when the clerk asked me what I would like to have installed. I said I didn't need any OS because I would be installing FreeBSD and Linux myself. He gave me a disturbed stare and a "Hmm... Why bother? Anything but Windows is unusable" (or something like that, I don't remember). I walked away without saying anything and not buying that damn computer.
Duck-Billed Platypus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Partition Resizing... Reply with quote

Vm. wrote:

Where exactly do you live? If there is a LUG (Linux Users Group), you can ask for help there. I am sure many people in your local LUG will be happy to help you out here. You can check out the Linux OSes they use and get help on choosing the right Linux distribution for your needs, wants and taste.

:)

I live in Los Angeles--worst city I've been to, I think... closer to Beverly Hills than downtown... corner of 6th and Burnside, an apartment... :?

I'm not sure he'll take me to a LUG... unless there are banners saying something like 'Windows Demonstration'...
meowsqueak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you the child of Bill Gates, perchance?
Duck-Billed Platypus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meowsqueak wrote:
Are you the child of Bill Gates, perchance?

No, definitely not... If I was, I'd probably be getting cable or T1...
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're on dialup, gentoo is not for you.

but tell your dad that the guy making minimun wage at the computer store is an idiot and show him knoppix in action.
Duck-Billed Platypus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing will deter him from the words of a 'computer technician'... I've told him that there are people who use Linux, but he still sticks to the computer store guy's word...

I think I posted this somewhere already... I got DSL some weeks ago...(ADSL, SBC Yahoo)
meowsqueak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try and get your own PC I reckon. Even a clunky old P166 would give you the opportunity to learn something about Linux. The faster the better of course, but you should be able to pick something decent up second hand.
Redeeman
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject: sad Reply with quote

try knoppix! its really really good, and then go to that shop and throw a knoppix cd in his head, (prefared is that it hurts him really much :-) ) and then show your dad the power of knoppix!!

//Redeeman
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing will deter him from the words of a 'computer technician'... I've told him that there are people who use Linux, but he still sticks to the computer store guy's word...

I think I posted this somewhere already... I got DSL some weeks ago...(ADSL, SBC Yahoo)

I have a BSc and I am almost getting a PhD in Computer Sciences, tell your father I said it is safe 8)
Kesereti
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pilla wrote:

I have a BSc and I am almost getting a PhD in Computer Sciences, tell your father I said it is safe 8)

Eh, somehow I doubt it would help...but...if it does...I've a BS in Computer Science with an emphasis on networking and security, am a CCNA/CCNP/CCDA, and I (obviously =P) think Linux is alright... =)
Redeeman
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: forum Reply with quote

show him this forum! and let him see what ppl have typed, if he dont believe it then, nothng can make him do!

//Redeeman
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: forum Reply with quote

Redeeman wrote:
show him this forum! and let him see what ppl have typed, if he dont believe it then, nothng can make him do!

//Redeeman

Don't show Off the Wall !! :twisted:
Duck-Billed Platypus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you emerge in gentoo, is there a way of knowing the amount of progress made or something, how do you know when it's finished?

Is it normal for your internet connection to be slower if it's through a router than a direct connection? My internet connection isn't as fast as it was when there was a cable directly from the DSL modem to my computer... :?

I tried to download the Slackware disk 1 again and again, but it says there was an error...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: