bizarre printing outputs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bein
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: bizarre printing outputs Reply with quote

Hello,

I have cups setup to a printserver using /etc/cups/client.conf. I can see printers fine from any application that needs to print, but if I print from evince or firefox then I get garbage:

%PDF-1.5
%(some garbage here)
3 O obj
<< /Length 4 O R
/Filter /FlateDecode
>>
stream
(a few lines of garbage per page for several pages)

so I think it's trying to send the pdf as a text file? If I try printing a page from firefox I get the same issue, so I assume firefox is converting to PDF and then sending the pdf to the printerserver (presumably as a text file). I think I just may have some outdated package but I'm not sure which one is responsible for a problem like this. I've tried updating evince, poppler, cups, and ghostscript to no avail. The printer I'm using is a Xerox Phaser 3600 if that means anything, but I'm sending to a printserver so I think all printer specifics are handled on that end. I can print from acroread just fine.

Does anybody have any ideas on what the issue could be? Thanks.
Mistwolf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may look like garbage but it is not.

That bit you posted is telling me that the printer/cups recieved a PDF file, version 1.5 and neither cups nor the printer know how to handle it. Remember that a PDF is a superset version of a Postscript file, so the header will be text.

As to why Evince and Firefox only have this issue, I am not sure. I would check to see what plugins are enabled in Firefox, and/or look at how cups is setup to handle pdfs (specifically version 1.5 and newer).

Sorry I cannot be more help, but hopefully this points you in the right direction
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: