ati binaries without X ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nuvielle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: ati binaries without X ? Reply with quote

Hello =)

Several days ago i tried to install Gentoo and the System itself worked very very well, took a little bit but not much problems.

A very big Problem had been the X configuration. I did not get the system to work, first i startet x with startx, won't start. Then i tried the X configuration Programm, won't start too. I hate this Xorg- Config Programm, it has been a Pain several years ago and the Pain did not get less since this, its crap for this ati card ._. .

Atm i run Linux Linux and what i realy like is the the way the ATI Driver configures the xorg.conf there ( the driver itself isn't realy that good ._. ). Once i have installed the driver ( Binary from their HP ) and reboot, i just have to type in ati-config --inital --adapter=all and it generates a xorg.conf which works. I realy like that, its painless.

But when i install the driver under Linux mint a GUI is displayed in the middle of the installation ( have too klick a few times there ) so i wonder if this driver would work with gentoo and if i can it even install on a Linux without a running X ? Would be nice, cause then i just have to type in aticonfig --initial --adpater=all and i have my xorg.conf Problem solved ^^ Anyone experience with this ?

I make myself some Thoughts about this and i ask myself, maybe i forgot something to activate something in my kernel ( the system itself worked great ). In a fresh installed system, is there something which i have to activate from the defaults in my kernel to get just the free driver for my system to work. If ithe binary from amd wouldn't run without X this would be a great way ( if i had just a minimal "Desktop" it wouldn't be the problem to me to set up the driver, but without an X just with lynx thats a little horror ^^

My Card is a Radeon HD4650 =)

LG
Nuvielle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmpf i read this Guide a few minutes ago ._.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/ati-faq.xml

when i install the package ati-drivers will aticonfig work then ? ( since ati is a part from the closed binaries )
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you using genkernel or manual kernel?
do you want to use ati proprietery/ati-drivers/fglrx or the open source radeon driver?
what display manager/window manager/ desktop do you wish to use?
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've installed binaries manually then your system is now in a broken state - you need to reinstall any files that the 3rd-party installer decided to overwrite before GL will work reliably again.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: